Wisper "806 Torque" folding electric bikes - anyone got them? (1 Viewer)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Wisper "806 Torque" folding electric bikes - anyone got them?

We're in the market for a couple of 20 inch wheel folding electric ebikes, but with more substantial range than that offered by most of them.

I've seen quite a lot of good reviews for the Wisper "806 Torque" ebikes (this is the latest version of what was previously just called the "806".... now for 2017 onwards bit lighter and with longer range than the 806).

I wondered if anyone in the group has any experience of the Wisper brand of ebikes, and of this "806 Torque" model in particular?

Alternatively, does anyone else use 20 inch wheel folding ebikes but with a similar long (ie up to 75 miles) range capability?

Here is the model we're considering (fitted with the bigger 16Ah battery), at £1699 each from ebikesdirect.co.uk:

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/ele...rque-folding-electric-bike-16ah-75-mile-range

Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
The wife and I both use Volt folding 20" bikes and they're pretty good. Our batteries are the lower capacity types and we can get a genuine 40 miles out of them if we stick to level 3 assistance (cuts out at 12 mph). The larger batteries will probably do up to 60 miles.
Lots of cycle shops are agents for Volt bikes and you should be able to arrange for a trial.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We’ve just got 806 se folding Wisper bikes - ie not the Torque model. My understanding is that the Torque range run alongside the “SE” rather than replace them. But the Torque are £450 more than the SE for a 575wh battery. Certainly the shop we used stock both, and the current Wisper brochure lists both. I think there are a few other spec differences as well.

We are delighted with them - our first ebikes, and a revelation. With hindsight, we may not have bothered with the folding mechanism - our garage accommodates both fully assembled, and the fold must add weight. We’ve not tested the real life battery distance because we keep them charged, but we’ve not stinted on using the power!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My first question with any smaller wheeled bikes is what size is the chain ring ... if it's less than 50 teeth then it could be a pain to pedal.

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We do a lot of wild camping/overnighting on Aires, rather than staying on full feature campsites with main electric hookup.

At present on the latest motorhome we've got just one 120 watt solar panel, running through a cheapo PWM charge controller, and a 140Ah gel leisure battery.
We are very low users of 12 volt power, but I am planning to add a second 100 or 120 watt panel, and run the two panels through a Votronic 350 Duo digital mppt charge controller.

I've also just fitted a Sterling Power 1800 watts modified sine wave inverter.

Do other people ever recharge their ebike batteries via motorhome leisure batteries.... either via a mains power inverter, or via some sort of step-up transformer to get from 12 volt DC to the (say) 36 volts DC that the ebike batteries run at?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have 2 Wisper torque bikes the 905 and 705 Torque with the 575Wh batteries, bought this year. Jacqui (OH) is much lighter and so far has not found a hill she cannot cycle up I am a tenny weenny bit heavier (20kg ish) and a 25% gradient did defeat me but Jacqui was Ok right to the top (even with a dodgy knee). We had Bosch crank drive before on good quality bikes but neither of us would have got up that hill with them (no chance).

The battery life and mileage depends on weight so much, after about 20 miles (7 miles on gravel tracks) in a hillyish area, I was down one blip on the battery, Jacqui's was still showing full, when we got back I charged mine using the inverter (it is Pure sine wave) was fully charged within 2 hours.

The Wisper power levels are 0-4 and Full on, I tend to use 1 & 2 most of the time, 4 or throttle for the bigger gradients, the Torque sensor seems fine although I do not think it is as smooth as the Bosch and the display is not as clever, but you cannot argue with the results. We changed as we wanted different gearing, a throttle, and slightly smaller bikes (26" wheels from 700C) to get them in the van garage.

So far very pleased with them really solid build, good ride, feel safe and secure and support is good from AMPS (Wisper), we have had cause to use support for a battery issue.

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We have 2 Wisper torque bikes the 905 and 705 Torque with the 575Wh batteries, bought this year. Jacqui (OH) is much lighter and so far has not found a hill she cannot cycle up I am a tenny weenny bit heavier (20kg ish) and a 25% gradient did defeat me but Jacqui was Ok right to the top (even with a dodgy knee). We had Bosch crank drive before on good quality bikes but neither of us would have got up that hill with them (no chance).

The battery life and mileage depends on weight so much, after about 20 miles (7 miles on gravel tracks) in a hillyish area, I was down one blip on the battery, Jacqui's was still showing full, when we got back I charged mine using the inverter (it is Pure sine wave) was fully charged within 2 hours.

The Wisper power levels are 0-4 and Full on, I tend to use 1 & 2 most of the time, 4 or throttle for the bigger gradients, the Torque sensor seems fine although I do not think it is as smooth as the Bosch and the display is not as clever, but you cannot argue with the results. We changed as we wanted different gearing, a throttle, and slightly smaller bikes (26" wheels from 700C) to get them in the van garage.

So far very pleased with them really solid build, good ride, feel safe and secure and support is good from AMPS (Wisper), we have had cause to use support for a battery issue.

That's really helpful Neil, thanks.
Wisper do seem to have a very good reputation.

Can I ask a favour please.... whatever we end up buying will definitely be going in the MH garage, and we too have a height limitation there
Do you know (or maybe you could measure please!) the height of the top of the handlebars from the floor on each of your two Wisper models for me.......... If they would fit into the garage then we might well go for "proper" big ebikes rather than small wheel folding ones.
Many thanks!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That's really helpful Neil, thanks.
Wisper do seem to have a very good reputation.

Can I ask a favour please.... whatever we end up buying will definitely be going in the MH garage, and we too have a height limitation there
Do you know (or maybe you could measure please!) the height of the top of the handlebars from the floor on each of your two Wisper models for me.......... If they would fit into the garage then we might well go for "proper" big ebikes rather than small wheel folding ones.
Many thanks!
One other reason we changed bikes was that the Wisper has disk brakes and as such removing and refitting the front wheel is easy to do, our garage door is only high enough for the bikes to go in if the front wheel is removed. The garage height at it's lowest point is 94cm.

We wanted to avoid folders as the wheels on the bikes we liked were only 20 inch, AS Bikes did do 26 inch folders both step through and MTB, but I did not like the MTB.

I'll get them out and have a measure up, as just waiting for the kick off, and an excuse to rearrange the garage (again). @The Nomad if you want any other measurements now is the time to ask.

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
One other reason we changed bikes was that the Wisper has disk brakes and as such removing and refitting the front wheel is easy to do, our garage door is only high enough for the bikes to go in if the front wheel is removed. The garage height at it's lowest point is 94cm.

We wanted to avoid folders as the wheels on the bikes we liked were only 20 inch, AS Bikes did do 26 inch folders both step through and MTB, but I did not like the MTB.

I'll get them out and have a measure up, as just waiting for the kick off, and an excuse to rearrange the garage (again). @The Nomad if you want any other measurements now is the time to ask.

Hahaha!

OK then, I'll try to give you more of an excuse to get out to the MH garage...........

I do also need for each of them the length from furthest forward part of front wheel to furthest back part of rear wheel, when wheels are in line (ie handlebars are straight, front wheel is not turned but is in line with back wheel).......to check my garage is long enough to take them.......thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
These are for the 905 not the 705 although they are pretty much the same length height, the 705 handle bars are a little longer as more dutch style.

Back of front wheel to front of front wheel 178
Heights with front wheel on:
Ground to top of highest point (the bell) 117
Ground to top of handle bar stem 106, because we take the wheels off we do not bother with dropping the handlebars

We loosen and turn the handlebars so they are in line with the wheel this does not make the bike any longer but does increase the height to 123 (again though not dropped the handlebars), just timed it and it takes me 4 minutes to get my bike out and ready to use.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hahaha!

OK then, I'll try to give you more of an excuse to get out to the MH garage...........

I do also need for each of them the length from furthest forward part of front wheel to furthest back part of rear wheel, when wheels are in line (ie handlebars are straight, front wheel is not turned but is in line with back wheel).......to check my garage is long enough to take them.......thanks!

Some pics
IMG_20180711_172200.jpg IMG_20180711_172922.jpg

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Excellent Neil - many thanks.

Interesting also that from ebikesdirect.co.uk which seem to be the cheapest I can find for Wisper ebikes, the price of the "full size" 905 Torque with the big 16Ah battery is £1549, and for the 20 inch wheel folding 806 Torque with the same bigger battery is £1699.

So I'd save 300 quid by buying a pair of the bigger bikes.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We bought from a place in Swindon, we did a px so pricing was interesting. We got locks fitted and folding pedals. Enjoy, I would make the effort to try them out if you can.

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We bought from a place in Swindon, we did a px so pricing was interesting. We got locks fitted and folding pedals. Enjoy, I would make the effort to try them out if you can.

Thanks again for your help and advice - really appreciated.

Turn out that our garage dimensions ARE sufficient to house two of the full size Wisper 905 Torque crossbar ebikes without taking them apart to fit in, so we plan to go that route rather than compromise with smaller 20 inch wheel 806 Torque folding model.

For info for anyone else interested in these ebikes:

Also I've now discovered from a couple of Wisper dealers today and from Wisper HQ too, that from 2 weeks time Wisper are launching the 905 Torque model with their "ultra long range" 700wh battery as an option, rather than the present "long range" 575wh battery.

But they are charging a very hefty price premium for that!
I can get the ebike with the 574wh battery for £1499 (that's a 50 quid discount from their price, for buying two of them) from ebikesdirect.
But the list price of the same bike with the 700wh battery is £1899. The dealer has offered me 75 quid off that for buying two of them, making the net price £1824.
So it'd be an extra £325 extra per bike for that 125wh more of battery capacity. That doesn't make economic sense to me.

On the battery charging front, Wisper have this morning confirmed that their mains charger does definitely work fine with a modified sinewave inverter, so you can charge your ebike batteries quite happily from your MH solar panels via leisure battery and modified sinewave inverter.

Wisper also confirmed that they do a specific 12volt dc travel charger for their batteries.
Retail price of that is about 114 quid from a UK dealer. Wisper HQ offered it to me for 25 quid if I buy the two ebikes with 700wh batteries direct from them, but they won't give me any discount on their £1899 bike list price.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks again for your help and advice - really appreciated.

Turn out that our garage dimensions ARE sufficient to house two of the full size Wisper 905 Torque crossbar ebikes without taking them apart to fit in, so we plan to go that route rather than compromise with smaller 20 inch wheel 806 Torque folding model.

For info for anyone else interested in these ebikes:

Also I've now discovered from a couple of Wisper dealers today and from Wisper HQ too, that from 2 weeks time Wisper are launching the 905 Torque model with their "ultra long range" 700wh battery as an option, rather than the present "long range" 575wh battery.

But they are charging a very hefty price premium for that!
I can get the ebike with the 574wh battery for £1499 (that's a 50 quid discount from their price, for buying two of them) from ebikesdirect.
But the list price of the same bike with the 700wh battery is £1899. The dealer has offered me 75 quid off that for buying two of them, making the net price £1824.
So it'd be an extra £325 extra per bike for that 125wh more of battery capacity. That doesn't make economic sense to me.

On the battery charging front, Wisper have this morning confirmed that their mains charger does definitely work fine with a modified sinewave inverter, so you can charge your ebike batteries quite happily from your MH solar panels via leisure battery and modified sinewave inverter.

Wisper also confirmed that they do a specific 12volt dc travel charger for their batteries.
Retail price of that is about 114 quid from a UK dealer. Wisper HQ offered it to me for 25 quid if I buy the two ebikes with 700wh batteries direct from them, but they won't give me any discount on their £1899 bike list price.
Do consider the 705, Jacqui is very happy with hers.

The 700Wh was available to buy when we purchased but we were pretty sure we didn't need them, had 400Wh on the Bosch and after 2 years we had not run out so 575Wh seemed plenty.

Not heard about the 12v DC charger, at 25 quid it is a no brainer, 114.00 no chance. If you do manage to get them discounted (less than 50) see if you can get a spare and I'll have it off you :D2

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Do consider the 705, Jacqui is very happy with hers.

The 700Wh was available to buy when we purchased but we were pretty sure we didn't need them, had 400Wh on the Bosch and after 2 years we had not run out so 575Wh seemed plenty.

Not heard about the 12v DC charger, at 25 quid it is a no brainer, 114.00 no chance. If you do manage to get them discounted (less than 50) see if you can get a spare and I'll have it off you :D2

Might be worth you emailing Wisper HQ direct to ask what they'd charge (hahaha) for supplying you with a 12 volt travel charger for your two Wisper ebikes... as a long time loyal customer having bought 2 of their bikes, you recommend them to all your friends at every opportunity etc etc etc..........
Email address I've been using for them is:
info@amps.bike

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Might be worth you emailing Wisper HQ direct to ask what they'd charge (hahaha) for supplying you with a 12 volt travel charger for your two Wisper ebikes... as a long time loyal customer having bought 2 of their bikes, you recommend them to all your friends at every opportunity etc etc etc..........
Email address I've been using for them is:
info@amps.bike
No harm in asking, so just sent off an email. :)

They should know us as we did have both batteries replaced, one went wrong:( and was replaced the 2nd after receiving the first replacement we discovered was an old versiono_O so they offered to replace as well:D. To be fair very good service in the end, although we did have to moan:rolleyes: at one point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back