Wishing your life away (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
He has a sense of humour? He hides it well ;)

Tennant_and_Tchaikowsky_as_Hamlet_and_Yorick.jpg

did you hear the one about..................

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sadly, all that is now beyond me, my once busy bugle lies unused and desolate, replaced, I'm afraid, by a monstrosity known as 'Humphrey', who lives under my shirt................:cry::cry::cry::cry:
OMG Tootsy ... I never thought you were a shirt-lifter! :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Retired at 54. It's aces :)
Same here nearly,,,56 hardly any pension until 65 but spent savings and have been travelling 5 or 6 months every year since,,15 years now. Its no good being the richest person in the graveyard and i may be selfish but not worried about leaving the kids an inheritance,,Go for it..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Dont you believe it!! Stay young and working!! (y) It's crap being old, when first thing in the morning, you look in the mirror, and it faints, then you glance at the wife, and you faint. Even your dog hides when out with you and another dog appears. :( Fellow motorists look at you with scorn, because your now driving an OLDsmobile, traffic lights see you and go red, policemen pat you on the head, and offer you a sweetie, dentists always see a large profit looming when you open your mouth, and receptionists at Specsavers guide you to the waiting and dying area of the shop.
The only people who EVER smile your way are either undertakers, or interflora ladies, and financial advisers order a new car when you enter their offices.......:cry::cry::cry:
No, old is cold, not bold. Invest in plastic surgery and Botox, and have any bits that stick out now treated with Robin Starch, before they slink down South for ever..........:cry::cry::cry::cry:

You speak for your self,,,your as old as the women you feel and mine is still young (at the side of me) I am 71 next and still feel daft young and fit.BUSBY:D:D

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
My work takes me all over the Westcountry, I'm based in Taunton but travel to Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and beyond, and on my travels too and from work I pass huge amounts of motorhomes and now the summer is coming I can't help but feel envious of you retired folk, particularly when I read these threads and blogs about your 3 month long travels. We are both in our late forties and have the usual holiday entitlement from work which is never enough, but best get used to it because we've got another 20 years of this rubbish :(
On the other hand I salute you old buggers who are living the dream, long may it continue....and keep off the roads during peak times for all our sakes :D
I feel your pain. My work took me all over the country, Scotland to Sittingbourne. I lived in hotels through the week, Hubby worked from home. When I got home, he was itching to go away, I wanted to stay at home, so lots of arguments. Now that I've retired (very early) I can only say, do it if you can, we are now travelling and we're both loving it

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I feel your pain. My work took me all over the country, Scotland to Sittingbourne. I lived in hotels through the week, Hubby worked from home. When I got home, he was itching to go away, I wanted to stay at home, so lots of arguments. Now that I've retired (very early) I can only say, do it if you can, we are now travelling and we're both loving it

Cheers Kim
On the plus side I don't get home every night, but do have to do a job on the tools everyday when I get there so the travelling side took some getting used too, as for retiring it's a way off yet, still got a mortgage and we had to finance our bus on wheels so for now it's not an option, glad you're enjoying the freedom though

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Cheers Kim
On the plus side I don't get home every night, but do have to do a job on the tools everyday when I get there so the travelling side took some getting used too, as for retiring it's a way off yet, still got a mortgage and we had to finance our bus on wheels so for now it's not an option, glad you're enjoying the freedom though

Should've read 'i do' get home every night, good job the better half doesn't look on here :whistle:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are semi retired and self employed so no work no pay . But having bought our first van 7 years ago have never looked back . We try and get away as many weekends as possible and always a few days in the school holidays .
Don't wait if you can afford it ! It's a lovely lifestyle.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
wife and I started a three day week this month, so long weekends every weekend, and still enough money coming in, now mortgage paid off. another year or so of this and then retire fully. enjoying ourselves whilst we have the health to do so.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
@Tootles not met you yet, but methinks we have the same sense of humour - look forward to meeting you at Bagwell, now we've just sneaked on!
Tootles is just a name, the man is a miserable old fart that sits and complains about everything. He pushes kids off their bikes, trips up the elderly, drinks everyones beer, leers at the women, etc.
It's his lovely wife that writes all this humorous banter, don't be fooled.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Dont you believe it!! Stay young and working!! (y) It's crap being old, when first thing in the morning, you look in the mirror, and it faints, then you glance at the wife, and you faint. Even your dog hides when out with you and another dog appears. :( Fellow motorists look at you with scorn, because your now driving an OLDsmobile, traffic lights see you and go red, policemen pat you on the head, and offer you a sweetie, dentists always see a large profit looming when you open your mouth, and receptionists at Specsavers guide you to the waiting and dying area of the shop.
The only people who EVER smile your way are either undertakers, or interflora ladies, and financial advisers order a new car when you enter their offices.......:cry::cry::cry:
No, old is cold, not bold. Invest in plastic surgery and Botox, and have any bits that stick out now treated with Robin Starch, before they slink down South for ever..........:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Grumpy old git!:p

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Every one of us would change places with you, especially if we could retain our experience.

I imagine there is a flip side and retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be, particularly if you have to wait until your 67 to get there, then it's all about trying to stay healthy I guess

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I imagine there is a flip side and retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be

It varies, some hate their jobs and can't wait to finish, I loved mine and retirement was terrible for the first 5 years, nothing to excite me and a guilty feeling of not earning my keep. A motorhome helped a bit, a motorbike helped a lot.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It varies, some hate their jobs and can't wait to finish, I loved mine and retirement was terrible for the first 5 years, nothing to excite me and a guilty feeling of not earning my keep. A motorhome helped a bit, a motorbike helped a lot.
I planned my retirement 10 years previously. It happened a year earlier than planned when I got the elbow and big payout. Never wanted to work :)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I planned my retirement 10 years previously. It happened a year earlier than planned when I got the elbow and big payout. Never wanted to work :)

Honesty is sometimes the best policy :LOL:

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

Must admit I don't dislike carpentry and joinery, I've always got a sense of pride in my work, which is usually a good sign in any building trade, and the job I have now is fitting kitchens into showrooms and office refurbs so it's not like i'm clambering around on a roof in the winter, I've done my share of that type of work thankfully, and I think I will be the same as yourself, it'll be difficult not having a structure to life

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I don't know if the system has changed in the last five years but someone once told me to try to make sure your fairer half gets the best state pension she can get.

By this they meant make sure that she doesn't miss out on a State Pension in her own right.

A lot of ladies in our age range have done the hard work and brought up families, kept house etc. but in doing so missed out on getting her full allocation of NI stamps that gives her the entitlement to a full State Pension and rely instead on the married couples pension which (then) equated to about 75% of the two combined individual state pensions.

We checked this about 1yr before she was due to retire by getting a Pension Forecast from the GOV website and found that by making voluntary contributions of, in her case, about £1000, this entitled her to her own full pension.
It was hard at the time paying this, but was repaid easily in the enhanced pension in less than six months and of course she continues to receive it every four weeks. It made a heck of a difference to our retirement funds.

Sorry to be a boring old fart talking about pensions and the system has probably changed, but it might help someone approaching retirement!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sister in law got hers increased on her ex husbands contributions don't know if it's changed

Joe

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I retired at 60, moved back to this side of the world, just could not hack it.
Got a part time job with Brown Bros the Car parts firm, oh man ! oh man! didn't last long at that cause I refused to kiss arse, looked on in disgust while the rest sucked up to the Clown in the bosses seat.

Took a job snagging, enjoyed it, guess it was the banter of a building site I missed, (world cup 2003!!;)) Then sort of slowly shortened down. At 65 said thats it!!
Then "hey Johnno kin yu give me 2 days a week, I got 120 newbuilds??
"Mate I need 6 weeks, it'll be all schools, while the kids are on their summer hols, how many days kin yu give me?"

Finally gave up I suppose 18 month 2 years ago, could even be three.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981

Oh god, I wet me self laughing as me eyes were streaming so much I couldn't find the carsy in time. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've read some funny stuff on here, but that is by far the funniest, and most scarily true thing ever.

Bless ya Toots.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know if the system has changed in the last five years but someone once told me to try to make sure your fairer half gets the best state pension she can get.

By this they meant make sure that she doesn't miss out on a State Pension in her own right.

A lot of ladies in our age range have done the hard work and brought up families, kept house etc. but in doing so missed out on getting her full allocation of NI stamps that gives her the entitlement to a full State Pension and rely instead on the married couples pension which (then) equated to about 75% of the two combined individual state pensions.

We checked this about 1yr before she was due to retire by getting a Pension Forecast from the GOV website and found that by making voluntary contributions of, in her case, about £1000, this entitled her to her own full pension.
It was hard at the time paying this, but was repaid easily in the enhanced pension in less than six months and of course she continues to receive it every four weeks. It made a heck of a difference to our retirement funds.

Sorry to be a boring old fart talking about pensions and the system has probably changed, but it might help someone approaching retirement!

I'm glad of the advice so don't think you're being boring (y)
I'm not sure how I'll fare because I was self employed up until 3 years ago, I'm now employed with a company pension so I'm not sure how much state pension I'll be entitled to when the time comes, that's if there's any left of course!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back