wiring to a sargent EC400 (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since a while before Covid
5 year old swift rio 320. I want to add 12v sockets for charging devices - all nice neat, as if part of original installation (OK so I'm OCD and I hate trailing cables!). My Rio 320 is surprisingly sparse, especially at the bed end. I want to wire directly into the Sargent (they have helpfully sent me a wiring diagram of the pin layout. So I know where the positive goes on there. BUT where on earth does the earth go to? The earthing points all seem to be deeply hidden. Does the earth have to be wired back into the loom somehow for the switching system to work?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Any decent earth point will do. This is easy on a PVC, as everything is made of metal and you can just bolt to some nearby bodywork rib, but may be harder on a plastic coachbuilt. As an alternative, use two core flex back to your power unit and I'm sure there will be a meaty earth point on or near there somewhere.

Make sure the cable between the earthing point and the socket can easily take the load. If it is a long cable, make it even thicker to reduce voltage drop. Don't use less than 1.5mm cable for power sockets. You may need thicker for long runs.

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
There's the issue - plastic everywhere. There is an earthing point on the base of the control unit, but nothing else is wired back to there, so there must be other good earthing points somewhere. I am trying to avoid removing every panel in sight just to find a bit of metal!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ToGoldlyBo
Sep 9, 2020
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
and I used a chart to calculate my cable size over this distance, then stepped up a little. So the cable is fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back