Wiring reversing monitor - advice please (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Hi all, I am installing one of these systems with monitor that fits over rear view mirror and, ideally, want to route the single multi-way cable from monitor up into the void above the head lining, my question here is what am I likely to find above the head lining, will there be a metal roof or will I be looking at the underside of the plywood base of the over cab bed construction ? I have not been able to remove the cab light arrangement in the head lining yet and will be getting the special torq type tool to deal with that tomorrow but I am just curious as to what might greet me when I do expose over the head lining, maybe special drills etc required to get the cables up to the over cab bed area from where I have a good route to the cameras through high level lockers. Camper is 2001 Lord Munster on Ducato base. All help appreciated.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hard to picture it but the headlining in my van is just moulded cardboard material.. you might be able to lift the edge enough to run the cable round the edge of windscreen above the top of door and into the overhead bed space or locker without drilling any holes... If you do have to drill I expect it will be wood not metal you uncover..
Ta andy.

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks Andy, If I get lucky and the head liner is attached under the bed base then I am sorted, just one drilling to bring the single cable up from the rear view monitor and join that to the harness in the under-bed area where there is plenty of room. I will take the 12v from the cab light set up, only needs 7amp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wow that's a long way to go, I would have fastened it up along the top of the windscreen and tucked it behind the side moulding and gone down and under. There's no way I could get access to put a cable in to get it back as it's GRP/polystyrene/ carpeted ply from front to back.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks Andy, If I get lucky and the head liner is attached under the bed base then I am sorted, just one drilling to bring the single cable up from the rear view monitor and join that to the harness in the under-bed area where there is plenty of room. I will take the 12v from the cab light set up, only needs 7amp.
Again just thoughts, make sure you have power with ignition on engine running on that 12v supply... I keep reading about some vans isolating the hab electrics in that situation. Ahh sorry you are on about the vehicle cab light not a habitation light... Just looked at your post again..
Also 7amps seems high for a reversing camera.
You will also need a reversing signal assuming it's normal rear view and a switch to reversing view .. anyway best of luck.
Andy

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thx again Andy, I'm looking at taking power from the cab lighting console exactly for that reason, saves pulling supply up from one of the fuses at low level too. The kit I have is quite well spec'd - two cameras - one facing rearwards acting as rear view mirror and other angled down and wide angle lens for close reversing stuff - all switchable from monitor. I'm looking to install in the next few days and will update on this thread on how it all went, maybe helpful to someone else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Well the installation went quite well and I am very pleased with the result - the drilling through the cab roof was quite an event requiring a 20mm Bosch super tooth hole cutter to get through the two sheets of metal with insulation sandwich and 12mm ply, this allowed the feed from the rear view mirror monitor to come up and under the over cab bed where it joined the harness for power and twin feeds back to the cameras. The power is taken from the bed light supply with a double pole switch and fuse hidden at the rear of the lighting pelmet and the camera feeds are taken back at high level inside the top lockers, eventually through the external store cupboard and out onto the roof above the high level brake light position. Not a single cable on view anywhere and a really worthwhile exercise. I'm so pleased with myself I have decided to do the solar installation too ( that and the fact it is impossible to find anyone here to carry out such work ) :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back