LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just getting the van ready to go and noticed I have a tail light out. Not the bulb, and the housing appears to work on the other side. The loom is difficult to get to within the light cluster and I am off to France in 16 hours.....

Is it possible, logical too take a feed from my working tail light, running the 3 wires (stop live, Tail live and Earth) straight across to the other tail/stop light? also weirdly the Stop lights work so definitely power and earth on that side.

A getting desperate Haganap.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I presume you have a combined stop/tail lamp? Be careful because the stop lamp is normally 21 watts and doubling the feed to that could well blow your fuse.

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:Eeek: dont be lazy ,,take it off and clean it ??? ,, :Eeek:

agreed, what you propose could end up being more trouble than doing the job properly ..

if short of time .. get an auto leccy in..

don't mess with it, it may only be 12v .. but it can be lethal.. many an auto fire is caused by dodgy wiring..

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You should have four screws on the outside to remove the lense, and then a captive nut 10mm x2 on the inside. To access these, you need to lay beneath and reach upwards under the rear elevation.

If you can take this whole cluster out, then do so and clean all the contacts. They may be corroded. You can replace the connectors if like. If the unit is corroded badly it may need replacing.

Some clusters will allow access after removing just the lense.

Don't piggy back on a modern vehicle - it can cause a major electrical meltdown. If you really need a quick fix, use a lighting board from the trailer wiring.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
While not denying the truth of the preceeding posts. I once did the very thing you suggest (taking a tail light wire from the working side. The tail light is only 5w so not a big current increase on the good side. Depends on how modern your vehicle is though, mine was an old VW and I don't think even fuses had been invented then.:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok, firstly thanks for trying, but I have now fixed it.

all it was was a blown fuse. what I neglected to realise was that the left rear tail light has its own fuse, its own personal one. :BigGrin

So with all the other side lights working, I neglected to think it would have a fuse buried in there.

However,

What blew the stop lamp fuses and this one? well I will post in a bit,,, think of my other post with the toad and be surprised, for a real tough one.

May I also thank Hilldweller for coming over and helping although I had literally just fixed it. And Cheyne upmarket hippy offering to let me drop by and get it sorted

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dont suppose you are heading this way at all Paul ?
happily take a look at it for you mate..

have to ask.. is it a bulb or is it LED ?
If bulb it could be as simple as the element from one or other stop or tail failing and drooping across the posts..

Used to be a very common problem years ago

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back