Wiring issue 12v vitrifrigo (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think I'd class moving a selector knob to 20vdc pretty easy. And an Autoranging meter even easier. But If you can't do that probably best not attempt any repairs 💥😳🙂
ive no idea of meter sensitivity is but ive successfully used one for work for 50 years lets not too deep with problem solving
It's too easy to dismiss as unimportant until you have explained, with great difficulty, and for the umpteenth time, that a 12v reading on the end of a wire does not mean that the wire is in good order and will operate whatever you connect to the end of it.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
No it isn't unless you fully understand the concept of meter sensitivity.
What I meant was, it's difficult to mess up a voltage reading, compared to a resistance reading (which must be unpowered) or an amps reading (which usually involves disconnecting a wire to loop in the meter)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What I meant was, it's difficult to mess up a voltage reading, compared to a resistance reading (which must be unpowered) or an amps reading (which usually involves disconnecting a wire to loop in the meter)
I agree but very often users try to fault - find using a meter and are unable to understand that on its own a voltage reading is meaningless. A multimeter is very useful for measuring battery voltage but close to useless in inexperienced hands for faulting a failed service or appliance. Now a 21W bulb with a crocodile clip connected to one terminal and a probe to the other is much more useful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As an update (thanks everyone - it has been really helpful!) the wires going into fridge are no longer live so I obvious did more damage than I thought when moving it out.
Just make sure you tape up any spare wires so they can't touch metal parts or other wires. If the wires are broken inside, they sometimes reconnect due to for example vibration and movement, and become live.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back