Wiring in reversing camera (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
My reversing camera has turned up today. I am intending on using it with my garmin sat nav and have the appropriate lead to connect the av cable to it.

My question is this - what is the easiest way of picking up the 12v power for the actual camera.

I know it can be done by using the +ve to the reversing light - but how exactly do I do this? My van is a 2010 Fiat Ducato. I've had a look at the rear lights and presume that somehow or other I need to connect to the correct wire in the electrical block that is connected there - is this how others have done it? There is already a bolt to the chassis near the lights that has a couple of wires attached to it - I'm thinking that these are the grounding ones and I can just connect the camera -ve to this.

The alternative is that the av cable also has a trigger wire running through it. Would this be able to be connected to the camera +ve and then to another +ve at the monitor end to provide power as and when required? If so is there such a thing as a male cig lighter that has an input for just a +ve wire - most seem to have inputs for +ve and -ve?

I'm trying to not over complicate but seem to be going round in circles at the moment on this one!

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
When I fitted my reversing camera to a 2014 Citroen Relay (should be almost identical to yours), I used the auxiliary socket in the rear off-side corner as the 12v power source and connected the earth return to the bolt earth-bonding point you have described. While this may not be ideal for everyone, I wanted a simple approach that brought all the connections from a single location and did not impact the vehicle CANBUS. I used a meter to identify which was the feed to the reversing lamp so that this could be used to trigger the reversing camera.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
I would locate the rear light cluster and find the rev live feed and then scotchlock or use a doubler bullet connector to connect the rev camera wire into it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I have mine on a switch, which is connected through the fuse box. That way I can use it anytime to check whats behind me, mainly because I do a lot of towing, but also to see whats happening behind at other times, without having to put it in reverse. Down to preference I suppose.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
give Terry or Andy63 a private message and they may be able to help you. :)

FAndy63Working.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Run the camera power wiring alongside (taped to) the video lead to the front. Once you have it under the dashboard you can choose either a simple switch as suggested or you can connect it to the reversing lamp wire as it heads off from the gearbox switch towards the rear of the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back