Wiring confirmation? (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 98
Exp
Since 2008
Since getting our MH have fitted 2 new leisure batteries and a 1000W inverter with guidance from forum ? All very good.

now looking at solar... and looking to confirm my thoughts

Can I install without touching any current electrics in MH?

As in..
solar panel to solar controller....( plan to install dual mppt controller...and add vehicle battery later)
solar controller directly to leisure batteries?

is it that straightforward?

Cheers
Clemmo

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Depending on your electrical power unit, it could be advantageous to connect to the system which would enable all your batteries to be automatically topped up. I know nothing about Chaussons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As others have said, there's no issue with basic functionality if you wire direct from solar controller to leisure battery. But you might be bypassing the battery monitoring. Not a big problem, but I think the best way round it is to install a separate battery monitor, with a shunt by the negative battery terminal. That way you can keep track of all the amps into and out of the leisure battery.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
After guidance on the forum I fitted a solar panel to a controller, from there direct to Leisure battery. Added a simple volt meter to same solar wires as controller was a basic one so I can see juice coming into controller.

Now upgraded controller to MPPT model that displays its own volts and amps.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The controller volts and amps is only part of the story. To know how much charge there is in the battery at any one time, you need to take account of the amps in from the solar panel, alternator/starter and mains charger, and amps out to all the various loads including the inverter.

The relative importance of each will depend on your particular lifestyle. Maybe you're not very concerned about battery charge level, like some are around here (including me). The battery voltage level while the sun is shining will not be anything like an indication of the battery state of charge.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
The controller volts and amps is only part of the story. To know how much charge there is in the battery at any one time, you need to take account of the amps in from the solar panel, alternator/starter and mains charger, and amps out to all the various loads including the inverter.

The relative importance of each will depend on your particular lifestyle. Maybe you're not very concerned about battery charge level, like some are around here (including me). The battery voltage level while the sun is shining will not be anything like an indication of the battery state of charge.
Hi, yes thanks for the input - I am aware ;). Just trying to show the OP that it is a DIY job I think most physically able people can do.

OP
OP
C
Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 98
Exp
Since 2008
Just trying to show the OP that it is a DIY job I think most physically able people can do.
exactly what I was after...and now have the clarity I sought. It may not be “perfect” but the set up I understand will suffice.
Thanks!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why would it be adventageous?
Elektroblocks and CBE distribution units have a solar input which then feeds the solar power via the internal shunt. If you have a control panel with a digital display it will then take into account the solar charge current.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back