beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
bought a pure sine wave inverter and works a treat, surprised how little a tv uses. anyway I have 2 130 amp batteries and I have attached live and earth to just one of the batteries. Should I have connected the live to one battery and the negative to the other one or does it not really matter.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes positive to one battery, negative to the other to balance the load. Wouldn't have thought it matters much though if you've just got a TV on it.

Edit:
This is how you're supposed to connect the terminals to the van too.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Wouldn't the two batteries be connected in parallel? In which case, the positive of each should be connected to the positive of the other, and same for negative - therefore it wouldn't matter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes in parallel but you take one connection from each battery. Doesn't make much difference I know, but that's the 'by the book' way. I suppose it's for when there is a long line of batteries really.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
surprised how little a tv uses.

My 24" draws about 6 amps but I won't let the battery voltage drop below 12.4V so as not to over stress the batteries.
I can watch TV for over 3 hours if there is no other demand on them like the central heating.
Keep an eye on the voltage, you can only have out what you put in on a daily basis.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
I won't let the battery voltage drop below 12.4V so as not to over stress the batteries
One thing I've not yet understood - is that 12.4V under load? Or with no load after leaving the battery to settle for an hour or so?

I did once see my battery voltage at 12.5V after I'd been watching a movie for an hour or two, so I quickly shut everything down in a panic and sat there in the dark biting my nails.

I'd been driving for a couple of hours so the battery should've been fully charged - however I did have the fridge running from the alternator while driving - the first time I'd put it on so maybe it was sucking up all the power and not letting the battery have any? No idea if it works like this...

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
I found this article very well written and it seems to answer my questions.

On page 6, it says when taking a reading of the leisure battery charge state:
  • All electrical appliances should be switched off. If you don’t want to disconnect a clock, an alarm that runs from the battery, a fridge’s fascia controls or similar, the reading will not be completely accurate. Obviously this is not an issue if you’ve removed a battery and transferred it to a work bench.
  • If you have recently disconnected a charger or have been driving a motorhome or towing, a reading will be higher than normal. After a battery has been receiving a charge, it is recommended to let it settle for at least four hours before taking a voltage reading.
  • Now you need to interpret the reading and although we talk about 12V batteries and accessories, this description is only nominal. If a leisure battery achieves a 12V reading, it is considered to have reached a discharged state.
As a rough guide, work to the following table:

Voltmeter reading
Approx state of charge
12.7V or over --> 100%
12.5V --> 75%
12.4V --> 50%
12.2V --> 25%
12V or under --> Discharged

Which suggests that while you have to wait 4 hours after stopping charging the battery before taking a reading, you don't have to wait after shutting off any load.

Also my 12.5V reading wasn't as critical as I'd thought, as it still indicated 75% charge. However the difference between that and 12.4V is really only a small difference in the voltmeter position.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back