Wiring 12v DC sockets in the van (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
First one 3 days ago!!!!!
Hi Everyone,

I do not have any sockets running off the leisure battery in my campervan. Only have 3 pin on EHU and couple of ports off solar.

Bought fuse box, fuses, cable and sockets etc... quite happy with the wiring for this etc...

My question is I would like to wire up to my existing PMS 3V so when I swap to van mode the sockets are powered.

Looking at the following wiring diagram and I am right to assume I am wiring into the Aux and find an existing negative or wire to chassis?
https://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ekmps/shops/olearys/resources/Other/pms3-instructions.pdf

I could go straight to battery and install an additional switch for just these sockets but then that means we need to switch off 2 switches which is all ok.. but feel wiring to PMS should be fine as we are using this anyway to direct power and swap from EHU etc...

Please advise

Many thanks in advance

R

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Not done much DIY wiring but I can follow a schematic and agree with your thought process 👍🏻
If there are pros & cons of doing that or an alternative there are better funsters for knowing that who’ll be along shortly 🤔

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from West Kent

Good luck with your project 👍🏼

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R
Aug 17, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
Hmm just inspected and the Aux has a 10amp fuse in the control panel.
So considering I will be running 4x runs from this each fused at 10amp then I think I will need to avoid this as I do not know the grade of the internal wiring of the PMS to know if I can bump this up to 20 or 25amp.

I am installing 2x of the following units:

panel with rocker switch for on and off with 12V cigarette port and 2x USB ports.

Also going to run 2x separate 12V dc barrel sockets also. Will fuse all at 10amp... this of course is max and not everything will be on.. it is just convenience.

Any comments please?

a) Think I should be ok to up the fuse in the PMS 3V from 10amp to 20amp?
b) Any issues with myself wiring to Aux connection or do you think I should wire straight to leisure battery as I have a fuse box and rocker switches.
The 2x v dc barrel sockets do NOT have switches so something could run this down over days of not using the van.

Many thanks in advance

R

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the wiring in the pms3 is 1.5mm for the aux so not suited to supply above 10a in total. Work out what you are actually going to use in these extra sockets to work out total load. Wired with suitable cable you could daisy chain 2 or3 sockets in parallel with a single fuse and switch

OP
OP
R
Aug 17, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
Found the instructions so can see MCB1 is for sockets....
So all good.
I'll post my results.
Thanks

OP
OP
R
Aug 17, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
the wiring in the pms3 is 1.5mm for the aux so not suited to supply above 10a in total. Work out what you are actually going to use in these extra sockets to work out total load. Wired with suitable cable you could daisy chain 2 or3 sockets in parallel with a single fuse and switch

Yeah I am thinking the same thing.. it's more convience in the van.... Not load.
Prob basic stuff. Little fan. Little 12v TV. Phone charge.. done.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so not over 6a with that example, so should be fine

I saw one person run a cable through a hab window to use a small compressor to blow up tyres and they were surprised when the fuse blew. They went on to blame the converter

OP
OP
R
Aug 17, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
oh wow... that is some very juicy kit... no ... I understand I am in a campervan.... not 240V... and this is just the basics as I have NOTHING I can run off leisure now... apart from fridge and lights... so just breaking out so I can plug something in when required.

Many thanks

R

OP
OP
R
Aug 17, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
TheBig1 ..

Can I just check the following with you:

My PMS V3 does not run off the Car Battery in car mode and the fridge does not run from the car battery either. There is no power to Fridge when car is in ignition on or running.
I have checked all fuses under the drivers seat for the split relay and every other fuse I have found and all are good and split relay is working as I have tested it with voltmeter etc....

Would you advise that this might be a bad connection or popped fuse behind the PMS V3 or maybe it never got wired in? I can see cable running that way from the starter battery.

Or could I be missing something else when checking?

Not taken PMS 3V off yet.. just tested everything running up to it for now.

Many thanks in advance

R

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'd be inclined to wire the fuse box straight to the leisure battery, and wire the sockets from fuses in the fuse box. The sockets would then be permanently live. The idea of turning all the habitation circuits off when the engine is running is a strange British idea that in my opinion is of no benefit at all.

Another thing in my opinion is that 'built-in' USB sockets go out of date very quickly and are difficult to change. I prefer all cigarette-lighter sockets, with plug-in adapters for USB. Modern smartphones use the latest variants of USB, with smart charging etc, and I find these adaptors easy to change and update. However I know some people like built-in USB sockets, so if you are using them make sure they are wired through a switch so they can be isolated during storage, because they take a very small but definite background power drain. Cig sockets don't really need a switch, as they don't take any power when nothing is plugged in. Unless they are the permanently illuminated types, of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R
Aug 17, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
Sound advice.
Thank you. Ill post my results once I have set it up.
Many thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back