Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Now we have a new van, I have been busy getting the necessary kit on board,Dish, solar panets etc, I am now considering a reversing camere and was wondering if any of the members on here have fitted one and are they any good, or should I go the hard wired route,TIA :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Wireless ones can be found very cheaply on ebay and seem to work, saw a post on WildCamping and it looked very good.

Wired ones are expensive but guaranteed to work!

Peter

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I had a wireless one for about a month, and I got more TV and other rubish than I did of the camera 5 Mtrs away, I have now changed to a wired one which is a lot better from drw electronics, very helpful man, I purchased the wrong camera and they changed it no problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I too had a wireless one ,but got rid, useless!
Fitted a hard wired one myself , an easy job once you have sorted out the route, We fitted the rear mirror type plus a high level camera fixed to the underside of the high level brake light moulding. Routed the cable through the wall cabinets which already had an open route. in the top corner , so no holes to drill, Look at parking cameras.co.uk:thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Any thing that makes driving and reversing safer is a bonus, go for it, I wouldn't be without mine or my side cameras.

All the best Rick

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have had two wireless ones.. would proly have had a third but they are unavailable in the focal length I wanted, so ended up with wired

The only oddball thing we ever came up with was sitting on a garage forecourt in Luxembourg

Suddenly the bike trailer disappeared and was replaced by a speed boat !!
Chap had pulled in right beside me with his camera unit level with my cab ( sort of thing ! )

other than that, never had an issue

Do remember though, that you will still have to pick up a 12v feed from somewhere

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
I have had two wireless ones.. would proly have had a third but they are unavailable in the focal length I wanted, so ended up with wired

The only oddball thing we ever came up with was sitting on a garage forecourt in Luxembourg

Suddenly the bike trailer disappeared and was replaced by a speed boat !!
Chap had pulled in right beside me with his camera unit level with my cab ( sort of thing ! )

other than that, never had an issue

Do remember though, that you will still have to pick up a 12v feed from somewhere

seems a fair swap to me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Yosser, I've just fitted one and very pleased I am with it. I looked at the wireless ones and couldn't get as good a picture and was then put off by the various posts I read.

Also Yosser, please please please pretty please go back to your old avatar, I picture you sat on that bench composing all the crap you come up with on this site, the new avatar is such a beauty I'll struggle to concentrate on the Forums.
............:ROFLMAO:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Hi Yosser, I've just fitted one and very pleased I am with it. I looked at the wireless ones and couldn't get as good a picture and was then put off by the various posts I read.

Also Yosser, please please please pretty please go back to your old avatar, I picture you sat on that bench composing all the crap you come up with on this site, the new avatar is such a beauty I'll struggle to concentrate on the Forums.
............:ROFLMAO:

:boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::pray::pray::pray:

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
fitted one to mine have it on while driving as well as reversing no problems apart from sender unit was faultly when i bought it so would recommend fixed wire if possible less chance of problems

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Bought a wireless one 12 months ago & would not be without it, never had any problems with it. Cheaper than chips, around 30 quidish. :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Now we have a new van, I have been busy getting the necessary kit on board,Dish, solar panets etc, I am now considering a reversing camere and was wondering if any of the members on here have fitted one and are they any good, or should I go the hard wired route,TIA :thumb:
I have had both
hard wire is far more reliable
wireless systems can suffer from all kinds of interference
may be cheaper but you suffer for skimping in the long run :cry:

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Wireles reversing camera

Hi
I fitted my wireless system 5 years ago, the camera is a Swan colour unit and the display is a flip down colour monitor. The wireless control unit sits in one of the top lockers behind the cab. The control unit is part of the camera kit and the display was bought separately.
Following an article written in one of the Mags, I tried locating my camera looking out of the rear kitchen window and was surprised how well it worked,
so much so that it is still there today.
The advantages are :-
Ease of installation and the camera is protected from the elements.
No drilling of the bodywork and easy internal cable runs.
This installation works OK for me, as it did for the original author, and is an option which can be checked out before carrying out an installation.
For all I know it may work for a permanently wired system - it would only take minutes to find out.
I can't remember experiencing any interference with this system, but should add that the camera system is a quality unit - not a cheepee.
Hope this is some help :thumb:.
ATB
Incamania

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Wireless ones can be found very cheaply on ebay and seem to work, saw a post on WildCamping and it looked very good.

Wired ones are expensive but guaranteed to work!

Peter

Please note a wireless reversing camera is not wireless.

Yopu still have to run power leads to the camera and monitor and, if you want to control it from the cab, you still have to run a control lead from the monitor to the camera. Using a wired system gives a bit more agro but you will be certain tha it will work properly once installed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Please note a wireless reversing camera is not wireless.

Yopu still have to run power leads to the camera and monitor and, if you want to control it from the cab, you still have to run a control lead from the monitor to the camera. Using a wired system gives a bit more agro but you will be certain tha it will work properly once installed.

Nowt like repeating good information ! LOL !!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back