Wireless Reversing Cameras (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
When we purchased our motohome it came fitted with a missmash reversing camera that really was useless and has since packed in totally. Looking around it appears there are very few companies in our area that are interested in fitting a replacement unit. I'm thinking of doing the job myself and in researching this I get the impression that wireless (digital) reversing cameras are worth considering and on the face of it could be easier to fit. Has anyone any experience in fitting a wireless kit? Any recommendations on which to look at or any to avoid?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I bought a cheap one from Aldi, transmission from the back of the van is fine but the picture is a bit dark, and I can't make it any brighter.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I use a Garmin BC40 wireless camera (battery powered) and a Garmin satnav, for reversing into spaces - works for me! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Bought one of these 2 years ago, works very well, especially if you have line of sight between screen and camera. Have camera clipped to the inside of the rear window so always clean. Occasional interference if driving under high power electricity pylons.

Amazon product ASIN B081FF2G91

OP
OP
Vennwood
Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
If you already have something I would try and replace it with something using the same cables
That is my problem. Apparantly the existing system is a heath robinson set up that means I can't use the existing wiring. I've send photos to a couple of companies (Revcam UK) being one and apparently its an early Chinese monitor that has been hard wired to a non descript camera. So my options are completely new install or go wireless.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Another thumbs up for the Garmin BC40, you can add 2 cameras to a system
A brief look at Garmin website has confused me.

It indicates the BC40 has a wireless range of 13 metres, and is compatible with the Garmin Camper 780 satnav, but the blurb for the 780 indicates it has a range of only 7 metres. Could be very marginal on my 7.5 metres motorhome. What size motorhomes are you having success with, please?

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Our ‘van is 7m, and the BC40 works well. I tried a ‘walk test’ taking the satnav further away from the cab, and the picture was still present at just over 10m - I couldn’t go any further without falling into a river….!
I guess it depends upon the construction of your ‘van too……?

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I have a wired camera. It works. But I also have a Garmin satnav, so decided to get the Garmin camera to fit at number plate height, giving a different view, like a car.

The ‘van is a 7m Hymer. It works very well and has not packed up during use on any occasion. It turns on automatically when I select reverse.

I fitted it a couple of years back. Although the camera is a wireless signal to the satnav, there are wires to connect. It needs power etc. That is all routed to the garage, so the wireless signal is all internal.

May 7, 2017
Ripon
Funster No
MH
LeisureDrive Vivante
Exp
When we purchased our motohome it came fitted with a missmash reversing camera that really was useless and has since packed in totally. Looking around it appears there are very few companies in our area that are interested in fitting a replacement unit. I'm thinking of doing the job myself and in researching this I get the impression that wireless (digital) reversing cameras are worth considering and on the face of it could be easier to fit. Has anyone any experience in fitting a wireless kit? Any recommendations on which to look at or any to avoid?
Garmin BC40 for me too, brilliant picture. Can unclip to avoid theft. Very easy to use I also use a Garmin satnav.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I tried a ‘walk test’ taking the satnav further away from the cab, and the picture was still present at just over 10m - I couldn’t go any further without falling into a river….!
What a total lack of commitment to Funster assistance research!:RollEyes::swear2:
Anyway, thought Funsters could walk on water? Most of us seem to think so.:whistle2::laughing::imoutahere:

pippishort

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutotrailCheyenne'03
I bought a cheap wireless one and was disappointed with the picture quality. Just changed to a rear view mirror with streaming video and reversing camera. It looks like a regular car mirror and is fab! It's wired which is much more reliable. Any auto electrician should fit one, but it was simple to do and we just clipped the wires to the ones from the rear lights so had a safe route. Cost £80 from Amazon and took less than an hour to fit. Check out YouTube videos to see how as well. Just a thought as an alternative for you

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Lots of ideas here - I went wired after dismal wireless attempts and, pardon the pun, never looked back!! I went with equipment from https://www.revcam.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...C8l-IHlIApOLCWrBppSlXqMWAtSGQyAAaAg7IEALw_wcB

Very knowledgeable and top quality equipment. Very easy to wire up and I can select rear view or downward facing cameras from the cab, or via reverse gear.

Super waterproof and non rusting parts. Used for 2 years now without fault.

MikeMex

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2008
I use a Garmin BC40 wireless camera (battery powered) and a Garmin satnav, for reversing into spaces - works for me! (y)

The BC40 camera is brilliant. Connects wirelessly without a problem to my Garmin 780 (8m Motorhome). Bought an additional camera mount for my trailer.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
That is my problem. Apparantly the existing system is a heath robinson set up that means I can't use the existing wiring. I've send photos to a couple of companies (Revcam UK) being one and apparently its an early Chinese monitor that has been hard wired to a non descript camera. So my options are completely new install or go wireless.

We bought a system on Amazon which has a front and rear camera, it records as a dash cam and is also a very good reversing camera.
It was £49.99 on Amazon, it just clips over the rear view mirror.

It is a hard wired system but it was easy enough to get the wire from front to rear, if needed you can buy an extension lead on Amazon as well.

I tried wireless ones but they did not work very well and only lasted a short time before packing in.

Hope this is helpful.

71hmzOwHKML._AC_SX425_.jpg

【2021 New Version】CHORTAU Mirror Dash Cam 4.8 Inches Touch Screen Full HD 1080P, Wide Angle Front Camera and Waterproof Rear Camera, Car camera with Emergency Recording, Reverse Monitor System

Visit the CHORTAU Store

4.3 out of 5 stars 2,404 ratings

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My preference is for wired devices. Even wireless need to be charged.
However, if you got wireless, you could add a second camera over your waste or onto your roof, to assist dumping or check low lying obstructions.

Dec 31, 2020
Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo ti 680
Exp
When we got our my it already had a cheap wireless reversing camera fitted which only came on when you put it in reverse.
On returning from Portsmouth driving along a busy duel carriageway suddenly my reversing camera screen popped into life and I saw a pair of donkeys laughing at me. I can only assume a vehicle going the opposite way had a camera with the same frequency and 2 donkeys .
My wife thought I had gone mad when I started shouting about donkeys.
Since then I fitted a wired double camera reversing and rearview camera East to fit and no more donkeys

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Me too! Although the odd occasion it fails to connect but as I already had the Sat Nav it turned into a good investment.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Looing back to when we bought our new German van, it came with virtually no options, no radio, no alarm, no tracker, no reversing camera.
It turned out when getting insurance quotes that as the van was over 75K, most insurance companies insisted on a Cat 1 alarm, plus a Tracker.
I booked the van into Vanbitz having to defer the pick up/handover for a month, Eddie & his team went to work, fitted Strikeback Growler Alarm, Meta Tracker, and a Dometic 2 lens rear view camera, with a separate large LCD monitor screen, facing me on the dash.
All have worked impeccably over the last 4 years, I do occasionally get a rain drop on the lens when its raining hard, but just wipe off at next stop with a long handled extendable wash mitt.
Good luck with finding a solution OP Vennwood .(y)I would always recommend hard wired camera options as there will be less inference/connectivity problems for sure, plus the ability to add cameras should you wish, wired straight to the head unit, I could not live without the dual camera option as I like to see who is coming up behind me on a run, also switch over to reversing lens when parking up. Plus the Dometic Twin Lens camera is not painted its stainless steel.
LES

OP
OP
Vennwood
Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Lots of ideas here - I went wired after dismal wireless attempts and, pardon the pun, never looked back!! I went with equipment from https://www.revcam.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...C8l-IHlIApOLCWrBppSlXqMWAtSGQyAAaAg7IEALw_wcB

Very knowledgeable and top quality equipment. Very easy to wire up and I can select rear view or downward facing cameras from the cab, or via reverse gear.

Super waterproof and non rusting parts. Used for 2 years now without fault.
Totally agree with you. Chris at Revcam UK has been very helpful. He even sent me a couple of remote controls to try and coax my system into life.

OP
OP
Vennwood
Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I will have to discount any number plate options for two reasons. First I already have a camera high near the top of the roof and would want to replace it. Secondly we have a bike rack so it would be nice to be able to see they are ok while we are travelling and make sure when reversing I don't wallop them.

I'm still uncertain as to which type - wired or wireless. I understood that in this day and age digital wireless cameras were much better than the old analogue or bluetooth versions. I too have used Eddie a few years ago when we lived in Devon however its a fair trek down from North Notts. I'll update this when I make my move.

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, l have a 9 meter American rv that had a 5 inch black and white reversing system, that packed up, so lve just replaced it with a 7 inch colour reversing system and paid under £45 from onbuy, link below https://www.onbuy.com/gb/7-car-lcd-...t-for-truck-trailer-bus-rvs~c11572~p45709819/
Used the existing wiring, with a bit of modification and it's great, screen can be mounted on dash or above, screen can be set to inverted, or mirrored

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Fitted a Boscam to our 6m Hymer Compact.
It worked adequately as reversing camera and rear view as I wired it to the number plate lights worked whenever lights were on.
The monitor took power from 12v dash socket so could be switched off just by unplugging. The power unit for the monitor also had a spare USB outlet, so no loss of the socket.

Ian789

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Camper Van
Exp
7 years
I've just fitted an autovox V5 wired dash cam and rear camera, with a monitor that attaches to the rear view mirror. The rear camera takes its power from the monitor, and doesn't have to be wired to the reverse light (although that is an option). This means the rear camera can be on permanently and used as a rear view mirror to some extent. Ive plugged the monitor itself into a 12v hab socket. We have a PVC, and I've never done anything like this before but was able to route all cabling out of sight, and take it to the 12v socket and the rear door number plate behind trim and under the van. Cable went through already available holes under the passenger step, and under the rear corner. It took a bit of time, and some plastic trim had to be removed for access, but it was a lot more straightforward than I'd expected. Really pleased with it so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back