Wireless rear view camera (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I am carrying a small motorcycle on the scooter rack at the back of my Eldiss 180 length 7.2m for the first time and I am wanting a to buy a camera for the rear. It would need to operational while we are travelling so too observe the Bike ref security etc. I mention wireless because we are departing on our holidays in 2 weeks time and want something I can install quickly. I have a budget of about £90.00 to spend on the device, is there anyone who can recommend a reliable camera.
Thanks Steve

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

A lot of folks have installed this one:

Broken Link Removed

I bought one, tried it and it worked fine, but then I spotted I had a cable built in. Waiting to see if I can get the correct camera for the Rapido. So, mine, unused may be up for sale.

Regards

Chris

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Wireless ok if you can't be bothered with e wired one. Just remember it will never be as effective as a wired one.

Dave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I can't paste links with this phone but there's a wireless one on ebay has the 7 inch dash monitor and the 18 led night reverse camera in hd for £45

This is a great kit I had one on my last van and my sister has one on hers just now

Does exactly the same as a hardwired camera which I've had fitted on other vans .....

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
wired is always the best option, a little like a land line and a mobile, land line is always guaranteed to have a ringtone, mobile not so if you get the drift ! I remember reading a thread on here about wireless cameras and someone seen a motorhome reverse into something because his wireless camera was picking up a signal from another vehicle ;)

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
wired is always the best option, a little like a land line and a mobile, land line is always guaranteed to have a ringtone, mobile not so if you get the drift ! I remember reading a thread on here about wireless cameras and someone seen a motorhome reverse into something because his wireless camera was picking up a signal from another vehicle ;)
Sounds like that robbed when gassed excuse :p

Bad driver blaming his tools :)

These days I use my mirrors no camera

Upvote 0

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
you still have to have a cable from the rear camera and to the screen for live feed etc so why not just use wired ?
Cause you don't need to run the 8 mm thick video feed cable from front to back

Just connect camera and monitor to 12v pos and neg

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Just to let you know, I am an electronics engineer in the field of communication.

With that said, let me explain. Wireless, if set up properly and using correct or good radio will be as good as any wired system. In fact so good, a lot of people are using it successfully with no ill effect!

The system I linked to above, is, I believe, the one Tambo has mentioned.

I tested it and it worked fine over the 6M of my panel van. Remember, my metal van will have more problems than a fibreglass/plastic motorhome.

There is no guarantee that any low cost radio system will work. Trial and error or money back deals are the only way to go. These systems use very low power radio.

In terms of wiring, all you need to do is pick up 12V. You have a choice and these are some of them.

1. Pick up reversing lights. The camera will only come on when you select reverse
2. Pick up any side light. You would then need to turn on the side lights to turn the camera on.
3. If you have a towbar, pick up the 12V
4. Run a cable under the vehicle bringing 12V from the vehicle fuse box, or direct from the battery with of course a fuse in the line and next to the battery.

All in all, a much easier way of installing a reversing camera. If I had not already got a cable and monitor, I would be happy to install the one I mention above.

Best regards

Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
benellioldman1
Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ok
thanks for your help I will go for one of the wireless options mentioned above and pick up a 12v supply near to the rear of the van
Cheers Steve

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Dave,

Just wondering why you think this?

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris, I based that on anything I have had wireless has been prone to interference, bike computers, heart rate
monitors. I passed under some low slung high voltage cables once and my heart rate showed 250bpm.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wired my camera to the rear side lights so the camera comes on when the side lights are turned on. Works well. The camera came from Maplins (around £60) and is ok but seems to be losing colour saturation so it is becoming less easy to determine where pathways and grass etc. start and stop - not impossible but not ideal.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was given a maplin wireless one a while back, so fitted it in the 4x4. works great if you dont switch bluetooth on your phone on. not exactly ideal if you use bluetooth for hands free etc

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just to let you know, I am an electronics engineer in the field of communication.

With that said, let me explain. Wireless, if set up properly and using correct or good radio will be as good as any wired system. In fact so good, a lot of people are using it successfully with no ill effect!

The system I linked to above, is, I believe, the one Tambo has mentioned.

I tested it and it worked fine over the 6M of my panel van. Remember, my metal van will have more problems than a fibreglass/plastic motorhome.

There is no guarantee that any low cost radio system will work. Trial and error or money back deals are the only way to go. These systems use very low power radio.

In terms of wiring, all you need to do is pick up 12V. You have a choice and these are some of them.

1. Pick up reversing lights. The camera will only come on when you select reverse
2. Pick up any side light. You would then need to turn on the side lights to turn the camera on.
3. If you have a towbar, pick up the 12V
4. Run a cable under the vehicle bringing 12V from the vehicle fuse box, or direct from the battery with of course a fuse in the line and next to the battery.

All in all, a much easier way of installing a reversing camera. If I had not already got a cable and monitor, I would be happy to install the one I mention above.

Best regards

Chris

Chris you forgot to say, make sure you buy one with at least 50m hollowness(y)

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Bought a wireless one off Ebay 7 years ago & still works perfectly on our Autocruise Starseeker at 6.5M, without any interference.

Clearly not concentrating on his surroundings.
How anyone reverses using only a camera is madness, I always use the mirrors as well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back