Wireless ip camera security (1 Viewer)

300wrx

Free Member
Jun 29, 2008
Funster No
Maybe of interest to someone here. Regarding security for your parked up motorhome. We all have different takes on what is the best solution to protect your pride and joy, trackers, wheel clamps, steering clamps etc. My solution can be used by anyone with a broadband connection, a wireless router and as many wireless ip cameras as needed, so when setup you can log onto your camera(s) from anywhere in the world. I have three wireless ip cameras, a wireless router and a cheap laptop in the kitchen to view them locally. The laptop does not have to be left on, but only the cameras and router. The cameras are located outside, one under the carport, drive front and the back garden. these are available to view from a PC / Mac and even an iphone or similar with internet access. While at home the cameras monitor the Drive, and garden. The cameras can be set to alert you if something goes into the monitored area. ( you define an area on the camera setup, then you don't get unwanted alerts by the postman passing ) the alert can send a text / email and / snapshot to your mobile phone.(dependant on which camera you buy). Ok so far? While we are away the cameras can be turned to the house doors, we can then log on to see if all looks ok, and of course we get an alert if someone passes a monitored area. (Also nice to see it raining at home while we was in the sunshine last summer).
Requirements are simple,
1-Wireless broadband
2-Wireless ip cameras
3- a free dydnds account
4- a few hours to setup
most of you will already have the broadband. Cameras are easy to get hold of , just make sure it supports dyndns ( most do ) and the dyndns account is free. so the only cost is the cameras.

This does the job for me, and thought someone may be able to use the info.
The setup of the cameras are not beyond anyone with pc savvy.

A couple of snapshots of picture quality, one at night, you can see one of the cameras on the carport. New cameras are available with infra red, mine do not. The security lights give enough in my situation.

I do not want to enter into a setup guide so please don't ask. Info comes with the camera of choice, dyndns also have setup guides, routers vary so again the setup guide should be read to enable dyndns.

Also i am not suggesting that other security is not required, but possibly an addition to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 41
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Could be a bit frustrating watching someone steal your van when your a hundred miles away. You could phone the police of course, I'm sure they'll give you a crime number for your insurers. :roflmto:

OP
OP

300wrx

Free Member
Jun 29, 2008
Funster No
You know there is no point in any of this info if not taken seriously. It is a fact that a guy abroad did spot someone at his home via a camera, he rang the police and the offender arrested. Obviously the cameras are a little too advanced for some members here, you guys best stick to the size of your sink plug issues instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonybrightspark

Free Member
Dec 31, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Will be going down this route in the near future 300wrx

An alternative with public live streaming is free on Camstreams, the techie bit being enabling the router with port forwarding.
Example below, right click on picture to go full screen
If you want the world to see all ok ,although they would'nt know location of MH

Link Removed

There is even a guy monitoring a thermostat temperature in case his boiler goes kaput, sad or what

tonybrightspark

Last edited:

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
I have just had a similar system installed around my home , 8 cameras with 1TB hard drive , able to view from anywhere in the world using a laptop or iphone.
Fitted by : http://www.northernsecurity.co.uk/

Mark

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You know there is no point in any of this info if not taken seriously. It is a fact that a guy abroad did spot someone at his home via a camera, he rang the police and the offender arrested. Obviously the cameras are a little too advanced for some members here, you guys best stick to the size of your sink plug issues instead.

Sorry 300 WRX...

I find the comment somewhat patronising...:Doh:

I take the protection of my posessions VERY seriously....

I have installed a few systems for various people and value the "security" they give when accessed from remote locations...

However all systems can go T++s up if there's a power cut or the supply is cut by the prospective thieves....

Always protect the cameras, wiring runs and lock the recording unit away somewhere where it cannot be accessed easily or found by intruders...and always remember to conceal/bury/shield the 'phone line....

A UPS on the unit and feeding the cameras would also be a good idea!I'm sure you have incorporated them.

Thanks for a good thread item though.:thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Very interesting set up. I might give it a go when I get this sink thingy fixed :Smile:

OP
OP

300wrx

Free Member
Jun 29, 2008
Funster No
ip cam

My reply to my own post was aimed at the Pessimist reply from nearlyretired as to watching your van being driven off. The point is anything that can Potentially protect your motorhome should be worth a mention. Anyone who tries to make a joke of it makes it pointless. Although dellwood33 comment made me smile. There are flaws to all security system and as mine is dependant on broadband, a pair of wire cutters would put paid to that. Now who will start a thread on redcare?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi 300wrx,

A good thread and great idea. I installed a four camera system around my house a few years ago when a young lad in the village threw stones at my Winebago and broke one of the windows.

I made sure everyone knew they were installed and touch wood I have not had any problems since.

Mine does not use IP cameras but does go to a recorder in a secret location. So should something happen then I can review the hard drive.

As to the infra red bit, unless a huge amount of money is spent these cameras are not that good. Mine are all IR and to be honest not that brilliant. When I bought them my research showed they were at the high end of the non comercial market.

I had been thinking of putting up a few IP wireless cameras in the back garden as well and a couple in the office.

Once again thanks for posting.

Best regards

Chris

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You don't take criticism very well do you. If you post in open forum then expect pro and con replies. Spitting your dummy out and insulting us is not going to get you anywhere.

It's a great techie's set-up. Great fun. But the chances of it really stopping a crime are small. As you in fact say "Also i am not suggesting that other security is not required".

So what's the point ? You are away, do you want to be worrying all the time about your possessions back home or are you going to say "&&&^ it, I pay insurance for this".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back