wireless connection problems (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i need help with a wireless modem problem please.

i have 4 puters wirelessly connected to a THOMPSON one-touch modem/router(standard AOL giveaway at the time) but only 3 work as they should. the 4th is a PC that did work upto a few days ago.
it is talking to the router but the router wont access the net on that PC.

the two PCs are using belkin usb wireless adaptors and are both set up to the same parameters except the faulty one has a slightly different IP. dont know if this is normal or how to re-write the IP. this puter is the one connected via wire and wirelessly to the router

the two laptops are both toshiba and are running the inbuilt wireless cards, no problems with these two.

anyone got a clue what im talking about. :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I assume dhcp is running on the router and allocating local ip addresses John.

Is there an ipaddress conflict or issue?

What is the ip address of the faulty one?

It should be on the 192.168.1 scheme

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as far as my limited knowledge allows, yes DHCP is running and the IP is 192. 168. 1. 67 the one that works is 192. 168. 1. 64
how do i check for conflicts?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John,

Just thinking about this.If there was a conflict you should be getting an alert box up.

Go to Start/ run / cmd. This brings up a DOS box.

type in ipconfig /all

this gives you the ip address of all the interfaces.

I assume the wep key on the faulty PC is correct.

You can attach to the Router but get no internet if the key is not correct.

The wireless router might have MAC address security enabled although highly unusual by default.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John

From the faulty PC try pinging 192.168.1.254.. Hopefully the default ip address of the router... from the DOS Prompt Box.

type ping 192.168.1.254 :thumb:

If this works

Try typing in tracert bbc.co.uk.

This might give you an idea if it's trying to get out to the internet or if it's failing at the router.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Pappajohn are you running XP or Vista? You may want to try running a fix for Winsock if you are running XP as this has generally been the problem when I've had similar hassles to you. The proggie is freeware and called Winsockxpfix. If you have problems finding it let me know, a google search should bring it up very quickly.
If that doesn't work.....
If you have a long enough ethernet cable it may be worth checking if you get internet access when hardwired which would narrow it down to the wireless connection.

Let us know how you get on.....

Laurie:winky:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
tried cancelling the encryption key incase that was a problem but still no joy.

can the router fail on one puter but still work on the others.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The brief answer to that Pappajohn is no.......it is either working or it isn't. I think it sounds very much like a Winsock problem. If it happens to me, I try the Winsock Fix before anything else. I assume you have rebooted your router, BTW, as this sometimes solves problems.

Laurie:Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The brief answer to that Pappajohn is no.......it is either working or it isn't. I think it sounds very much like a Winsock problem. If it happens to me, I try the Winsock Fix before anything else. I assume you have rebooted your router, BTW, as this sometimes solves problems.

Laurie:Smile:

Hi Laurie.

You may well be right.

We always get our customers to switch off the router for 30 seconds and power it up again.

The power around here is c++p and corrupts the router information if there's a power "brown-out".

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thinking about it, we did have a brownout in the storm the other night but i cant remember if it was ok before that.

how do i get to winsock fix ?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John,

Try turning the router off for a minute.Then power it up and allow it to re-initialise.

If this doesn't work try the Winsock fix.

The link is >>>HERE<<<

Steve.

If this does not sort it then......

Turn off all firewalls temporarily in case they are blocking it.

Never overlook the basics, assuming all is ok.

Very often I have solved a problem by uninstalling the Wireless card completely, rebooting the PC and re-installing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
turned off ALL firewalls, re-installed the wireless USB adaptor,again, and ran winsock fix from my usb stick. still no joy.:Angry:

pc definitly talking to router but the router wont allow it to access the net on this problem pc.:Angry: all the others are ok.:thumb:

i can see only one final solution......take it in the garden and beat it to death with a big stick.:Eeek:

at a total loss as to whats wrong:Doh:

john

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John,

Is the Gateway address the same as the other PC's?

I assume it to be 192.168.1.254 but check against the others.

Also the DNS Server setting.

Steve.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i need help with a wireless modem problem please.

i have 4 puters wirelessly connected to a THOMPSON one-touch modem/router(standard AOL giveaway at the time) but only 3 work as they should. the 4th is a PC that did work upto a few days ago.
it is talking to the router but the router wont access the net on that PC.

the two PCs are using belkin usb wireless adaptors and are both set up to the same parameters except the faulty one has a slightly different IP. dont know if this is normal or how to re-write the IP. this puter is the one connected via wire and wirelessly to the router

the two laptops are both toshiba and are running the inbuilt wireless cards, no problems with these two.

anyone got a clue what im talking about. :thumb:

Just a thought John
Have you tried swapping the usb wireless units over?
Will the faulty PC connect to the internet ok via an ethernet cable?

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
first thing i tried steve. swapping the usb dongles makes no difference. tried it pluged direct and through the extention cradle....no difference.
we use aol for internet and was wondering....does aol drive internet explorer or is explorer the 'gateway' to the net.
just wondering if aol or internet explorer files are corrupted.

the faulty pc was also connected by the ethernet cable to the router which i also disconnected to see if that was the problem. no difference
this was needed to setup the router originally.
i have lost the setup instructions for the router so i cant even remove it and re-install.

the pc is definately talking to the router. it has a monitor system to check connections and shows pc -> router as binary stream but router -> internet as an X. the X donates no connection.

tried turning off virus and firewalls. cant turn off aol firewall as thats at the server i think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know how i got to it but i got an error message ........tcp/ip is not enabled on this computer. how do i enable tcp/ip.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi again Pappajohn,

I would concentrate on getting the hard wired connection with the PC up and running again first, but thats just my personal opinion.
Sounds rather like a possible problem with the network card and a corrupt driver -try reinstalling the drivers for the network card before doing anything else.

:winky:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi again Pappajohn,

I would concentrate on getting the hard wired connection with the PC up and running again first, but thats just my personal opinion.
Sounds rather like a possible problem with the network card and a corrupt driver -try reinstalling the drivers for the network card before doing anything else.

:winky:

hi laurie,

if you mean the wifi connection i already did uninstall and reinstalled it several times, that bit is working ok. the monitor shows a connection to the router but not to the net
if i can find the router files i'll try reinstalling that but i think its a fault with the AOL/ internet explorer files (corrupt or missing files)

might have to restore the whole computer as a last resort.:Angry: system restore didnt help.:Angry:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
eureka.........cracked it :thumb::thumb::thumb:

i dont know how but the boot section had gone into selective startup which was playing hell with the system.:Doh:
shirl found it by chance, changed it to normal boot and hey-presto, back to normal.

could a virus have caused the change ? cos we never set it to selective thats for sure.:Angry:

thanks very much to steve and laurie for all the help and suggestions.:thumb:

a very relieved

john.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Pappajohn, run a virus scanner just to make sure - a comprehensive full system scan. If you don't have a scanner installed on that PC you can get some good ones FREE - like AVG , AVIRA (Which I use). Windoze sometimes just does these things all on its very own :Angry: BUT ITS BEST TO CHECK.

So glad you got it sorted, nothing like computer glitches to make one's day....:Doh:

Laurie

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Glad you got it sorted John.:Cool:

Cheers Laurie.:thumb: