Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi,:Smile:
I was hoping to get some clarification, ive got a 2006 Ci Riviera 181 and am thinking over the possibility of taking it skiing in france. I have previously been told that my van is fully winterized, but I dont know exactly what this means or whether it is actually correct. After reading articles that suggest attempting to take a motorhome that is not fully winterized up the alps in winter is tantamount to suicide for the vehicle and quite possibly the occupants, I was hoping someone could confirm or refute the claim that my van is fully winterized and if not if anything can be done to make it such?

thanks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I don't know your van so can only give general advice..

Where do the fresh water and waste pipes run, is your fresh tank inside or underslung ?

If pipes are outside look to re routing inside, if the fresh tank is underslung you need to consider insulating and installing a 230v tank heater element or jacket.

I've copied this from another site, some good tips and advice ..

If you are the owner of a brand spanking new European motorhome then there is a good chance you will already have a winterised motorhome to a degree, i.e. double floor with pipework etc running within it protected from the elements, interior waste and fresh tanks, insulated walls etc

however some of the tips below will still apply to you regardless. The owners of older vehicles will benefit immensely from the information gleaned on how to winterise your motorhome from our members below.

Preparation is the key here, think about winterising your motorhome whilst in the relative comfort and heat of the front drive etc, rather than trying to compensate later on in sub zero temperatures.

1. One of the biggest sources of cold in a motorhome is caused by draughts through the ventilation grilles in the cab. You should close all of them when you are parked up in a cold place, But NOT the fixed vent grilles at low level within the caravan part of the motorhome, as these are safety devices in case of gas leak / carbon monoxide poisoning (from gas appliances)

2. Try to park on a slight slope so water doesn't sit in the internal waste pipework. Around -10C the u bend freezes and then you will need to put antifreeze or salt down them.

3. Make some extra screens for the windows from 2 layers of the polystyrene/tinfoil laminate made to put down the back of radiators

4. If you have waste tank underslung at the rear, leave the drain tap open on site and a good old bucket slung underneath and emptied regularly

5. Leave INTERNAL locker doors open overnight, the heat will then enter preventing condensation.

6. Fit exterior silverscreens and if its really cold interior silverscreens to cab windows.

7. When on Hookup lift the cable every day to prevent it freezing to the ground or getting buried in snow.

8. Carry Snow chains or Snow Belts and a folding shovel in the Motorhome. And know how to use them (snowchains). Practice putting them on and taking them off in the warmth of your driveway - far better than on a freezing roadside.

9. If you’re considering camping off hookup make sure you’ve got a good healthy leisure battery or consider fitting another in tandem to boost your amperage.

10. When parked up for long periods leave vehicle in gear, chock the wheels and leave handbrake off if possible, prevents rear drums freezing on.

11. If intending to stay on campsites with hookup availability etc then consider using fish tank heaters in the waste and fresh tanks

12. If intending to stay put for extended periods (Entire ski season etc) then the following may be of use:-
Adapt the gas hose to allow use of large 49Kg Propane bottles supplied by some sites
build wooden skirting round the van from floor to ground to restrict the wind flow underneath,But DO allow some ventilation as this is where (1) the internal gas heater draws its fresh air supply from and (2) any escaped gas within the van will eventually drop below the van through the vent grilles provided and MUST be allowed to escape (blow away).

13. Check Vehicle door seals replace the rubbers if needed.

14. If your cab doors have air vents seal em up.

15. Ensure you are using Propane not Butane as Propane freezes at much lower temperatures.

16. Seal around the fridge, seal the rear of the fridge from the interior. And use the correct winter covers for your fridge ventilation grilles outside on the bodywork walls - the fridge will run more efficiently. BUT DONT COVER THEM UP COMPLETELY - EVEN ON ELECTRIC HOOK UP

17. Fit cling film or similar to window frame interior, At no point should it touch the plastic of the window, it should be fitted on wall and cover the "hole" where the window sits. This gives a trapped air insulation pocket.

18. if you have an older mh then consider sealing the roof permanent vents (If applicable) Caveat is to ensure there will still be sufficient oxygen transfer for breathing

We hope that our motorhome winterising tips assist you in the pursuance of heat whilst out enjoying the slopes and the scenery

Useful purchases

Below are some options for making your motorhome comfortable and safe for winter use

Internal Thermal Blinds
External Thermal Blinds
Generators
Extra Leisure Batteries
Gaslow Bottles
Levelling Blocks & Grip Track

More tips and advice Link Removed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
hi, you may want to try www.motorhomeski.com
We regularly ski from our motorhome with great results. We used to have a CI similar to yours and you may need to carry out a few adjustments as some of the pipe work from the waste tank is outside and will freeze. You could lag it or better still, nip down to your local tropical fish store and get a water heater as well. The tank is under the diner seats so internal and should be fine.

The insulation on the CIs are really good with a good thickness level that you won't beat on some better quality vans so you should be warm and cosy. I would reccomend a generator and a gaslow (type) system to enhance your fun will go down well.

From memory there is a truama gas fire type heater in your van which will serve you well. It is however quite a simple thing to do. You can always remember that if you freeze up you can still survive by using fresh bottle water, use a swimming pool for a wash and still be fine, you could even opt to go lower down to unfreeze and then come back up, but thats not our favourite method.

We go at Christmas and February half term and probabaly easter as well next year. We have a few interested parties wanting to join us so might even get something together in order to help some newbies.

So do your research and enjoy it, it truly is great fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back