Winterised motorhomes (double floor) ? (1 Viewer)

MotorhomeKing

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hello everyone.

I intend to buy a motorhome to live in soon and have decided a tag axle will be best so I don't have to worry too much about payload with the all the junk I'll inevitably accumulate over time (I am a class CE licence holder).

As I'll also be living in it over winter and suffer from cold feet then insulation is important to me, especially the floor, so I am looking at models which have those.

Can anyone tell me which models have this feature please? I have seen a Dethleffs 7877-2 on ebay has it (too expensive at £80k!) and also a Euromobil A 770 EB too (sadly sold). Needs to be RHD, manual, van based, less than 5 years old and have good size garage.

I like the higher platform too for extra privacy as you can't see inside from ground level. Not interested in Hymer type stuff that looks like a mobile library bus. :giggle:

I really like the Swift Kontiki BE 679s with the rear bed over large garage, but sadly no double floor from what I can tell.

Thanks .

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Older model German A class are a good buy but you want one only a few years old.
Niesmann, Concorde, Hymer, Carthago.

We have a small 2005 6.48metre Concorde good quality and big double floor containing waste, fresh and all pipe work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MotorhomeKing

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Older model German A class are a good buy but you want one only a few years old.
Niesmann, Concorde, Hymer, Carthago.

We have a small 2005 6.48metre Concorde good quality and big double floor containing waste, fresh and all pipe work.
Hi, thanks. I've checked out all those models and they are what I call mobile library buses(!). I don't like that design at all. Must be van based.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Hi, thanks. I've checked out all those models and they are what I call mobile library buses(!). I don't like that design at all. Must be van based.
Coach built then......

Cheers James

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Your talking about a Burstner A747 or Burstner Argos 747 the newer version. Euramobil make a similar older version as do Concorde. Eura Mobil Terrestra 770 is another similar van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MotorhomeKing

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Your talking about a Burstner A747 or Burstner Argos 747 the newer version. Euramobil make a similar older version as do Concorde. Eura Mobil Terrestra 770 is another similar van.
Thanks mcb. The Burstner A747 had not been picked up by my radar. I see a 2016 on ebay for £74k which looks smart, albelit quite plasticky on the exterior (those grey panels look very cheap). LHD though unfortunately and a tad outside my price range anyway. How high does the build quality of the Burstner's rank when compared to, say, Dethleffs and Euramobil would you say? :giggle:

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks mcb. The Burstner A747 had not been picked up by my radar. I see a 2016 on ebay for £74k which looks smart, albelit quite plasticky on the exterior (those grey panels look very cheap). LHD though unfortunately and a tad outside my price range anyway. How high does the build quality of the Burstner's rank when compared to, say, Dethleffs and Euramobil would you say? :giggle:
Sorry I don't have personal experience of these to compare, there will be others on here that do but I would suggest viewing a few and judge for yourself 👍

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I like the higher platform too for extra privacy as you can't see inside from ground level. Not interested in Hymer type stuff that looks like a mobile library bus.
If you are going to full time you have just written off the most suitable. More space much better insulation around the cab area and most have double floors also easier to drive.
I don't think any UK vans have double floors and the insulation is poorer and not fully winterised like contental vans.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Have you checked them out by actually going in them or is this online?

IMHO you have discounted a whole group of motorhomes that are generally acknowledged as being the roomiest, warmest and best quality. A good used A class can be great vfm especially if they re over 7.5 tonnes. Tbf they re harder to find over here because Germany and LHD are where the biggest market is but there are some about.

The problem with the van based ones ( with some notable exceptions) is that the converters are constantly chasing weight so things are getting lighter and flimsier and would be less durable as a long term vehicle. Unfortunately having a "tag" won't solve this as the extra axle and length is simply tagged on.

As you may be able to tell from my Avatar, I'm in the KISS mindset, I like to change my own gears because I know which gear I want to be in and its less likely to let me down and I hate stop-start, electric handbrakes and most of the other electronic sh*te that send you into limp mode etc.

But each to their own.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Funny how we all see things differently, when we first started Motorhoming all those years ago we both said we don’t want one of those huge coach built vans with the big ugly carbuncle on the front.

The A class are far more integrated and well designed we thought, better use of space for the length, look much nicer visually and warmer.

Each to his own though.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Our first van was Ford Transit based, then we got an A class. What we both noticed when driving was that the A class is the same width front to back so was easier to judge spaces. And you get a better view.

Upvote 1

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Mobile library bus for me please(y) more space, better insulation and put it on a decent rear wheel drive chassis and you get a proper double floor housing all the tanks and services and heated as well, on top of that you get decent payload and better traction on the wet and slippy stuff.

Upvote 0

Loopyloo

Free Member
Dec 31, 2019
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Weve got a coach built Rapido with a double floor & fixed bed to the rear, we love it.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I don't even know how to find out if mine has a double floor to be honest It's a Bailey Alliance SE if anyone knows? :(

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We have 6 opening hatches in our floor, 1 for garage, 1 for grey tank access, 1 for clean tank access. Then 3 for storage, 1 of these drops below the lower floor so in the airflow on the underside of the van and over a foot deep, easily takes wine/whisky/gin bottles stood upright, this is what we call the drinks cellar as its always cold in there.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have 6 opening hatches in our floor, 1 for garage, 1 for grey tank access, 1 for clean tank access. Then 3 for storage, 1 of these drops below the lower floor so in the airflow on the underside of the van and over a foot deep, easily takes wine/whisky/gin bottles stood upright, this is what we call the drinks cellar as its always cold in there.
We've got a small locker like that! We can access it from under the seat inside or through an outside door; really useful for the alcohol and the UHT milk!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think OP has had his five free posts? But I believe he is cutting off his nose to spite his face by rejecting A class vans we have had Coach builds but would not go back to one now especially if living in one full time as A class are so much more comfortable and draughtproof😊

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I agree chaps, what the OP desires in the way of features for full timing are best suited to A Class Motor homes.
Yes, to the unfamiliar eye, they are ugly, but calling them Library Vans:unsure:, even after 4/5 years my Mrs still calls them "Bakers Vans", still does, and it still makes me laugh:giggle:.
The best looking A Class for me, is The newer N&B Flair or Arto's, although we do love the new Carthago's they just cant cut the mustard looks of The N&B's, hopefully all A Classes in the future will have enhanced more slick front end looks.
Hymer's and many others are improving, its amazing how your personal taste changes after you have been in the frame for a few years, and appreciate things better.

Full timing in vans is becoming ever more popular, last figure I heard quoted somewhere suggested 20K full timing vans in the UK:unsure:
This "Lifestyle" choice by many is not easy, especially in the UK with parking restrictions/costs etc, but to be off grid, most of us know that involves some serious kit to allow it to be practical, let alone possible in winter.

If it were my lifestyle choice I would be looking for the most stealth like van conversion, to blend into surroundings better, but certainly not a great big 7/8/9 mtr white/silver or gold lump tag axel, with sat dishes etc.

LES

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
One sometimes overlooked aspect of winterisation is the position of the grey water drain off valve. If it is a tap on the end of a pipe it isn’t winterised. The tap and the pipe full of water behind it will freeze solid and no amount insulation or tank heating is going to let you drain off the water when you need to. The valve must be inboard where it won’t freeze. Some use motorised valves and others have mechanical ones.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back