Free Member
Sep 6, 2020
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
6months
HI I am new to the motorhome community but i am finding a great past time!
One question i would like some help with is with the weather people now saying we are in for a cold snap and that autumn is upon us. What do I need to do to get my van through the winter months ?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That's the plan to be honest.
Just wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything that would bite me later onšŸ˜„

There's winterising and winterising. One of the main aspects is where your fresh water and grey water tanks are mounted, inbound or underslung and, if underslung, whether they are insulated or heated in any way. Other things that make a difference are double floors and making sure you have a reliable heating system. If you just want to have it survive winter without dying, that's a whole different set of issues.

Upvote 0

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Use it all year, only stopping when it snows. Unless weā€™re already away. Usually after Xmas so beginning jan to feb half term Do we tend not to go away. Youā€™ll prob find your heating etc make the Mh nice and toasty. We do however Change to thick duvet which is higher tog, as donā€™t have heating on overnight but do have a small radiator on to keep severe chill off. If really frosty, snow, will put heating on but on very low. Always, regardless of weather have windows on snip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bossman Bluey

Bossman Bluey

Free Member
Sep 6, 2020
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
6months
Thanks Caggsie!
Our plan is to use as much as possible , the southwest where we live has many places we have never seen.
We purchased the burstner for that reason ,as I had read they were well made Van's, but as I say all new to us, we originally cut our teeth on VW s
Some years ago, so a step up with regards to amenities!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
HI I am new to the motorhome community but i am finding a great past time!
One question i would like some help with is with the weather people now saying we are in for a cold snap and that autumn is upon us. What do I need to do to get my van through the winter months ?
As others have said, continue to use it, last Winter wasn't that bad so I never drained my tanks but if the temperature does get too low the hot water tank will automatically open to stop any damage from freezing. Nice van BTW. šŸ˜
IMG_20190910_142930.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bossman Bluey

Bossman Bluey

Free Member
Sep 6, 2020
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner T615
Exp
6months
Thanks for the information
I am planning to use as much as possible.
One other question does yours have an immobiliser?
Mine came with one key which didnt have that function just wondering if it is a standard feature on this model?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the information
I am planning to use as much as possible.
One other question does yours have an immobiliser?
Mine came with one key which didnt have that function just wondering if it is a standard feature on this model?
I think the immobilizer is built in, every now and again mine won't start and there's a padlock on the dash.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
CMcardle75 said it all in his post, fully winterised means that the water tanks are fully insulated and/or heated and the pipework is also ditto especially if exposed. Those, like mine, with a double floor, with the hearting pipes within the double floor space are classed as fully winterised as built. A few manufacturers, like EuraMobil, only build double floor models. I can vouch for mine having only used mine once in freezing weather with the heater on very low during the night and no problems. Don't forget that also you must be on propane gas as butane stops vaporising at plus 31F whereas propane can go down to minus 43F

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We had a Burstner Nexxo for several years, and spent 2 months or so each winter skiing in it, off hook. Whilst it was not fully winterised, it performed admirably, and about the only concession we had to make to the extremes of cold was to use jerrycans for fresh water instead of filling the fresh water tank. This is actually no great hardship, because in most circumstances when you are off hook in the ski areas, you've to collect water when and where you can in jerrycans any way. Undoubtably it used a bit more gas for heating than our current double floored and better insulated Rapido, but bearing in mind the advice in the above post, you'll not have any great issues. One thing we did learn when we started ski trips (been at it a good few years now) is that several weeks at -15 deg C is a lot different to a long weekend in winter in the UK.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back