DizzyHippy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi I am new to owning a motorhome and put a deposit down on a 2008 Devon Aztec at the weekend. I read some previous comments about them only being summer vans. What exactly does that mean? I had hoped to be able to use it March to November at least. In my wee campervan we managed fine late November with a little oil radiator on board and that was a pop top!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a PVC and they are fine for three seasons use but I suspect if you fancied spending the winter skiing in the mountains it might be a bit uncomfortable.

Compared to a coach built van they generally have much less insulation to keep the place warm.

But welcome to the forum

:hiya2:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
I read some previous comments about them only being summer vans. What exactly does that mean?
The insulation may not be up to the level of a fully winterised van but as long as it has a decent heater that won't be a problem.
The main problem for winter use it that it will probably have uninsulated external tanks. Unless we get a very cold March or November should be OK for your use. You can still get by in very cold weather by leaving the waste valve open draining into a bucket or container & keeping some water in a container inboard although you would have to forgo your morning shower.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
You would manage march to October in your Devon Aztec for sure . However @ Lenny HB gave good advise re water tanks etc. As you said you managed in a pop up so you will be fine in your Devon .
good luck and enjoy

OP
OP
D

DizzyHippy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks, that is assuring. I had thought that I would just revert to what I did in the campervan by taking big bottles of drinking water and staying on sites with facilities! Emptying the water before it turns cold. I am getting very excited.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We had a Devon Sahara and used it down to -8 fine and the only problem was the underslung water tank as would be expected. Devon's are insulated with Thinsulate and it is the material I insisted on our converters using on our present conversion, it's light, doesn't absorb moisture and works well but is expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I have a Vantage PVC with underslung tanks which I use all year round. I easily survived -7C in February during the Beast from the East. A short pipe underneath did freeze briefly overnight and interrupted the pumped fresh water. I now have a heater in the water tank which stops that problem but it is only used on hook up as it take about 7 amps. The waste water tap is left open and drains into a bucket. Also don’t forget the toilet cassette; if it’s likely to be very cold overnight I put washing up water etc into the cassette rather than through the waste water tank.
Generally the van keeps very toasty and keeping warm is not a problem at all. I have been a very keen skier but I think a PVC would be ”challenging” to use for as a base for skiing!
Enjoy your new van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back