LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry, no. I wish you well in your search. Personally, I think you can't beat the UK for over-wintering:

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not south enough.
look at latitudes and longatudes.
scicily isnt as south as gibralter .
even if going to morocco you do really need to drive a fair way to be hot in winter.
tunisia is almost cold by comparison . to morocco.
but give them a try. might be different for you. compared to uk they could all be called warm.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
After wintering in Morocco for the last 4 years, we had thought of Sicily as an alternative, but what we've seen so far doesn't even equal southern Spain.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I spent the winter in Sicily and loved it. The temperatures weren't bad - not roasting but better than the UK and lots of blue skies and sun. Worst but was driving down through Italy - loved Italy but the roads and the bridges and the kedunk kedunk (technical term) of the joining strips was very wearing. Got the boat back from Palermo to France - expensive but worth it.

Lots of wild camping to be had in Sicily then (five years ago) with the ocassional aire costing from 5 euros to 20.

And pizza. Oh my word - the pizzaā€¦

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I have read on here that Morocco is not worth it now.
morocco is different to europe . i used to go almost every year . first went in 1976. havnt been for a few years as it as changed but so as every where . i decided to visit all the little places in spain or portugal we used to drive through saying thats ok might stay there one year.
might get back to morocco one year.
if you havnt been then do it. some like it some dont.
tunisia is nice but chilly in winter.
no where is like it was years ago.
lots depend on time of year. all europe used to be cheap for us but not anymore . fags , beer and fuel is about it . morocco is cheap for other things .

OP
OP
Dazzles
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
it'll be our first MH winter so not sure we want to get too far out of our zone. Southern Spain might do this year.

I'm sure morocco is great and I hope anyone going has a fantastic time.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We are off to morocco for this Winter and will be picking a few peoples brains when the time gets closer.
An adventure at the VERY least ! ! !
Mitch.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We are off to morocco for this Winter and will be picking a few peoples brains when the time gets closer.
An adventure at the VERY least ! ! !
Mitch.

Read the "Morocco 2016" thread, lots of info and great pictures. Also download my article in Resources "Taking a Motorhome to Morocco". It's still all relevant.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
it'll be our first MH winter so not sure we want to get too far out of our zone. Southern Spain might do this year.

I'm sure morocco is great and I hope anyone going has a fantastic time.
Thinking the same thing

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Morocco again for us, hopefully.

Great climate, lots of variety, very interesting and cheap. Whats not to like!

The sand, the sand and the sand!
Gets into places you didn't know existed.
There is always the risk of sandstorms as well :LOL::LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
used to be a ferry from maroc but it stopped a few years ago. was great for using then go back maroc and get another 90days .
can be windy and coldish in winter . depends where or what isle your on . gomera was a favourite for just sunbathing ,but very small.
there might be another ferry starting soon they have already modified the port at tarfaya . there is talk about a ferry to canaries even a ship from there to falmouth . will cut out the eu totally.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
#webby1

Throughout the winter how was the weather in general? is it a region known to be windy and wet?

We spent 3 or 4 weeks in Sicily in an October, the climate was absolutely perfect and the sea off the southern cost as warm as bathwater, amazing. But as we left on a ferry for Tunisia a massive storm blew in and we were told this was normal for that part of the Med.
Was it busy at the available camping spots (aires or camp sites) as I guess some would close for the winter, and was it more or less busy than southern Spain?
Which route did you take back through eastern Europe?

Thanks

forgot - was there a refugee or immigrant problem in Sicily and Greece?

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Ok, further googling has ruled out Malta.

Sicily looks a good option, anyone wintered in Sicily?

Cheers
Yes done Sicily for the past 5 years now, Very nice place laid back and mostly warm T shirt weather down in the south east area. Food very nice fairly cheap and mostly local especially veg. Found driving down through Italy to much so take ferry from Genoa top of Italy direct to Palermo in Sicily then about 4 hour drive to s/e coast area. quite a few places for wild camping and a few nice camp sites open charging about ā‚¬8/9 per night + ehu for long term, I usually stayed about 5 months at a time from Nov to April. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Yes done Sicily for the past 5 years now, Very nice place laid back and mostly warm T shirt weather down in the south east area. Food very nice fairly cheap and mostly local especially veg. Found driving down through Italy to much so take ferry from Genoa top of Italy direct to Palermo in Sicily then about 4 hour drive to s/e coast area. quite a few places for wild camping and a few nice camp sites open charging about ā‚¬8/9 per night + ehu for long term, I usually stayed about 5 months at a time from Nov to April. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Thanks for that info Garry. Can I ask you too, was there a refugee or immigrant problem in Sicily and what draws you back there winter after winter?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back