Free Member
Jul 13, 2016
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2003
My wife and I are planning to winter in Spain, leaving the beginning of January 2017 and returning in March, although we have driven down to Spain before it was some time ago in the summer of 2003 so I just wondered if any one on here was planning to go down around the same time and maybe we could hook up and travel down together, only never traveled to Spain in the winter it would be nice to have some seasoned traveler on hand.

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
It is easier than you think, as long as you prepare properly there is nothing to worry about. We did it at that time of the year and it was simple, taking the ferry to Santander will also make less driving but of course at a cost. Just go and enjoy, help is always on hand via Motorhomefun.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We normally travel down early,Feb and return at the end of April
The weather can be vairiable.
Some years we've needed snow chains and, like this year it was really mild.
Just go prepared for all seasons and you won't go far wrong.
Enjoy.
You never know, we might bump into eachother along the way.
If not us I'm pretty sure you'll bump into a number of other funsters, we usually do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have not over wintered in Spain but many do. We have travelled back in Early December and out on early March.

You can still get a fair bit of snow in March in the North and central Spain on the hills but the roads have always been open and clear.

Our return in December saw -3.5c in Burgos and thick fog in the mountains on the way to Santander in Northern Spain.

The roads in Spain are not busy like the UK and the driving standards/courtesy in my opinion are much higher.

You might need/want to book your site if you want to stay in some of the more popular "Costa's".

ps: If you decide to go via ferry to Spain - be prepared for it to go "up and down" a fair bit. I have been a bit green during our last two crossings.

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Booked our Ferry to Dunkirk to start our Tour starting mid Jan and Returning March .. We have toured France last two years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience so I have time now to prepare for Spain and as boroboy said in his post this Website is the best to ask for advice.

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Should anyone be watching this posting, should l be looking to have snow chains at hand ?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
There is enough Posted Material on fun to assist you and ensure you have a good winter stay. Driving in convoy really is not necessary, choose a ferry, pick a route and enjoy yourselves....there are so many open campsite and camperstops on or around the costas that you will find a place.....some are full just now but arrive early in the day to secure a place.....so relax and do what we all do during wintertime,,,ENJOY MOTORHOMING.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Should anyone be watching this posting, should l be looking to have snow chains at hand ?

I say yes - at the point where you need them they may be not be easily available.

We plan to start our trip to Portugal in early Feb returning home at the beginning of April. Spain for us will just be an en-route but we may meet, who knows?

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I say if you've got chains take them if it makes you feel more secure, but I wouldn't bother buying some. If there's a lot of snow and roads are blocked you may be delayed and have to hole up somewhere, but we've found they generally close the motorways until they're cleared, which doesn't take too long, unlike here where we wait until there's gridlock with abandoned vehicles and piles up.

You can get a map of road incidents and traffic cameras Link Removed.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're heading south beginning of January, but taking our time. You really don't need to travel with anyone, just do a little planning each evening for the morrow. Remember in mid-northern France very few campsites open and most aires have the water turned off.
If you route Bordeaux and SW coast of France you won't need snowchains - even crossing Spain the roads are generally kept clear although in 4 consecutive years we've never encountered snow. Phils route above is fine.

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Great and thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and experience.. We have recently upgraded our MH and as you all know they are an expensive piece of kit to having standing around so being recently retired we are looking to venture out beyond our normal limits. I'm a keen cyclist so I do hope to get to ride on drier and warmer areas than the UK we will be away for 8 weeks so will keep a log on our day to day adventure .. Can't wait!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@DAVWOD Good luck and enjoy it you'll wonder how you ever found time to work I'm now into my fifth year and loving every minute of it(y)(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back