wintering in Spain for first time (1 Viewer)

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Hi
We have just retired and planning to winter in Spain in "Bertha" our Autotrail 840 Tag axle
Are the pitches large enough to accomodate 8.6 metre length with large awning?
Are there any reasonably priced sites around benidorm/alicante that anyone can recommend ?
Would hate to pay for say 150 night stay only to find site is no good

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
We have stayed at Almafra just outside Benidorm. Have large pitches and also accommodate 5th wheelers. Nice site with bus stop and Tram stop outside gate.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Very difficult to advise as it depends what you are looking for in a site. Plenty of sites at Benidorm but a couple of years ago we spent a day there and that was half a day too long but many people love it.
We now stay at La Manga but some people hate it but we like it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Very difficult to advise as it depends what you are looking for in a site. Plenty of sites at Benidorm but a couple of years ago we spent a day there and that was half a day too long but many people love it.
We now stay at La Manga but some people hate it but we like it.
How very well this proves your point, we have stayed on Villasol and Almafra at Benidorm and at La Manga and it the latter we would not rush back to, but saying that and to answer the OP Yes you should get 8.6 m van and awning on most pitches BUT not all and not on every site, I would also add that I would not want to stop anywhere for 150 nights or even 50 nights, the van has wheels and I like to keep them turning.

Martin

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We are 9 mtrs and have stayed on lots of sites in Spain, just find one you like, e mail them and tell them your size, check it out on street view for access etc. Can recommend camping imperium at Villajoyosa, you will fit on there no problems, just make Sure you book one of the largest pitches. They do discount for longer stays. We will be there in November. (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have stayed at Almafra just outside Benidorm. Have large pitches and also accommodate 5th wheelers. Nice site with bus stop and Tram stop outside gate.

Fully agree but to get on in the winter at a decent price you need to book on The Camping and Caravan Club Rally,,BUSBY

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Spain is a massive and enormously varied country. Dontjust thrash down here and sit in one campsite for 4 months then thrash back north ahain. If thats your preference then keabe the mh at home and get alongstay deal in a benidorm hotel....they are really really cheap for such long stays in winter.
But why not aim to use that long tour to spend some time on costa blanca, then go on down through murcia into andalucia and Costa del sol, then maybe across to sevilla and then on over to algarve coast of portugal.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We now stay longer at fewer campsites, but we are only able to do this after two winters touring and trying out lots of sites. Everybody has different things they want from a site / location so it really is impossible to advise anyone. Best advice is to try lots of places and discover the Spain that is right for you; and its just a short ferry journey away and waiting for your arrival.......enjoy......

The Tincas

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
@lawry

You have a PM (Conversation)

OP
OP
lawry

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Thanks to everyone for the comments
I guess that as doing it for the first time its a case of get there and see
Even The Nomads comments of staying at one place has made me think!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Thanks to everyone for the comments
I guess that as doing it for the first time its a case of get there and see
Even The Nomads comments of staying at one place has made me think!

Sorry for typos in my post earlier - was on the mobile phone and fat fingers plus tiny keyboard equals errors!

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Just wanted to '2nd' the comments about Almafra, you would easily get an 8.6mt on their standard pitch. We went last year, for the first time with an 8.1 mt and had loads of room and have changed the van to a 8.35mt and it will be no problem. There was a huge RV parked just along from us and he must have been 9mts plus.
Another thing to consider is what you want out of your trip.
If you want to meet people, go somewhere where EVERYTHING is open, you have good transport ( bus, tram rail) then somewhere in the region of Benidorm is ideal, as we found. Otherwise if you go to some of the other locations, then you will find them potentially very quiet and not much open or going on. But if that's what you prefer, each to their own.
Good luck with what ever you chose to do.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Any comments appreciated ref the ccc rally at La Manga?
It all depends what you are looking for, if you like Benidorm then you will probably not like La Manga. The rally part of the site is good with serviced pitches and hedges and there is a good supermarket on site.
There will be various activities going on but it's entirely up to you if you join in . To get the best out of the area you will need transport and quite a few get hire cars from the airport and they work out very cheap especially if you take out the excess insurance through the AA before you go.
We were on the rally for 10 years but now book a pitch directly with the site which last Winter cost us €11.40 a night.
We will be there for around 6 months but take the bikes and also the car.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Just my ' twopennith' but we met a tugger at Almafra, who obviously had transport and had just come from La Manga, having been there 5 weeks. And he said it drove him mad, due to being one road in and out, not much to do and not much open. He was on the CCC rally there and said coming to Almafra was the best thing he had done. And as it was his first time, saved him from putting him off doing it again.

OP
OP
lawry

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Sure its 19th sept-15th april 4th option down
Although now see site down for booking

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
As a member I have looked for the Spanish rally but I cannot see it on their site
:clap2:
Should be showing now,,,we did it 4 years on the trot and really enjoyed it,,Club charge a £70 booking fee if you don't book ferry with them which doesn't help me because i am a Brittany Member so i just book a one way cheap Dover Calais with them and change date to suit me when we do France,,Busby,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just wanted to '2nd' the comments about Almafra, you would easily get an 8.6mt on their standard pitch. We went last year, for the first time with an 8.1 mt and had loads of room and have changed the van to a 8.35mt and it will be no problem. There was a huge RV parked just along from us and he must have been 9mts plus.
Another thing to consider is what you want out of your trip.
If you want to meet people, go somewhere where EVERYTHING is open, you have good transport ( bus, tram rail) then somewhere in the region of Benidorm is ideal, as we found. Otherwise if you go to some of the other locations, then you will find them potentially very quiet and not much open or going on. But if that's what you prefer, each to their own.
Good luck with what ever you chose to do.

Fully agree,,there are plenty of places to visit in The Benidorm area,,Albir,,Altir,Calpe,Denia, Alicante,,Villajoyca and The Jalon Valley to name just a few,,,good area for walking, cycling and eating,,,,BUSBY:):):)

Gunner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Hi

We spent last winter in Benidorm. And stayed at camping el raco site. Some large pitches and discount for long stayers. Although many places are cheaper. I think it's ideal great shop on site Bus stop outside site to take you already ( smaller quieter resort with good cafes and market.). You get a right old mix of people. Some permanent. Some one nighters. Uk German spainish Dutch. We also travelled along the spainish coast and on to Portugal which we truly loved But we also enjoyed staying in benidorm If your able to. Take a couple of electric bikes with you. I d never ridden for years and with the electric bikes used them everyday. Please bear in mind winter time in southern Spain can be very very quiet in some sexier areas. Benidorm is one of the few areas to remain lively

Hope this helps

Ps take your time driving there there so much to see and do on the drive down

Wish I'd taken more time and relaxed

Any have look el raco. Camp. If your not bothered about a couple of extra euros I think it's great

Have a great time

Gunner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Sorry spell checks not good.

Should have said altea. Not already

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If your a member of the camping and caravan club they hold loads of rallies if that's the sort of thing you like. ;) :LOL:

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/rallies/european-winter-sun-rallies/

We have tried it but prefer to do our own thing, but you will find the sites on the costa blanca very busy in winter, but as you will have no particular place in mind, you would better to just try and get On and if it's full carry on until the next one, most of the time someone goes and if you get there early enough you should be OK. :LOL:
Everyone is differant and only you can decide, rather than book a site for month to get a good rate, get the acsi book. (y) Bob.

OP
OP
lawry

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
Thanks for all the comments which have helped and taken note
will probably now take our time and travel through France to alicante with Acsi card in hand
May book just a couple of weeks at a ccc rally to find our feet
Good thing this retirement lark you can please yourselves LOVE IT!
thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back