Winter wild camping (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
So how many actually wild camp in the winter.
So what's the basics you would take with you
Me I just get rid of all the sumer crap and replace with a few things for the winter
I think if you have good lesuer batters blown air heating good curtains and silver screens
Apart from that every thing is the same

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Bill I wild camp all year round. We had a great time away over Christmas and woke up to some very fresh, cold, frosty days, but I love them. Sitting inside all nice and warm, eating breakfast looking at frosty trees and fields is great.

I don't use the silver screens, can't be bothered with the mess and then the storage, or the fitting etc. I don't take anything extra from what I carry all year round, apart from using the winter quilt, but even that's kept in a vacuum sealed bag ready for use.

When we wild camp I close off the air vents, put a strap across the doors, fit the crook lock and exit the cab. I then drop a number of blankets tucked in under the mattress on the overcab bed and then tuck them in behind the front seats. Not only does it insulate the living area, it also acts as a great blackout too and doesn't advertise too much, the fact that we're wild camping.

It also means that should I need to move, make a getaway or relocate, then I can quite simply get into the drivers seat, remove the crook lock and I'm away, with no need to remove the silver screens. It also means that there is no condensation in the cab too, which is a bonus:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Silver screens, what the hell are them. You only need them where its cold. Wilding is best done in a warm climate. Best keep well away from Spain this year, Tagazout is looking good at the minute.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Silver screens, plenty of water, gas heater and a spot to catch the morning sun on my solar panels is enough to keep me going for a few days at a time before replenishing my batteries at a hook up somewhere

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill I wild camp all year round. We had a great time away over Christmas and woke up to some very fresh, cold, frosty days, but I love them. Sitting inside all nice and warm, eating breakfast looking at frosty trees and fields is great.

I don't use the silver screens, can't be bothered with the mess and then the storage, or the fitting etc. I don't take anything extra from what I carry all year round, apart from using the winter quilt, but even that's kept in a vacuum sealed bag ready for use.

When we wild camp I close off the air vents, put a strap across the doors, fit the crook lock and exit the cab. I then drop a number of blankets tucked in under the mattress on the overcab bed and then tuck them in behind the front seats. Not only does it insulate the living area, it also acts as a great blackout too and doesn't advertise too much, the fact that we're wild camping.

It also means that should I need to move, make a getaway or relocate, then I can quite simply get into the drivers seat, remove the crook lock and I'm away, with no need to remove the silver screens. It also means that there is no condensation in the cab too, which is a bonus:)
I don't have crook locks to mess with don't bother with straps have internal silver screens
In all the years I have Ben wild camping I have had very few security issues when sleeping in the van
We love the frosty mornings during the night and early morning there was a ouwl hooting away grandad is that a ouwl hooting presus moments in the van
Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Silver screens, plenty of water, gas heater and a spot to catch the morning sun on my solar panels is enough to keep me going for a few days at a time before replenishing my batteries at a hook up somewhere
We are off grid all the time never hook up even at home.
Just a basic solar set up home made never ran out of power yet but we don't have TV when in the van we read and play games when dark and and during the day we are ether on our bikes climbing or walking
Lyn is usually cooking or sumthing like that
Bill

Oct 5, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ci Mizar Gtl
Exp
Glad to hear not everyone uses Silver Screens. I intended to buy some as everyone else seems to use them, but hadn't got round to ordering any before we left for Pembrokeshire for 5nights over the Christmas break. I am now in two minds whether or not to buy them as we were more than comfortable with just the cab curtains closed. Can't work out if the cost and faff is really worth getting some?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Glad to hear not everyone uses Silver Screens. I intended to buy some as everyone else seems to use them, but hadn't got round to ordering any before we left for Pembrokeshire for 5nights over the Christmas break. I am now in two minds whether or not to buy them as we were more than comfortable with just the cab curtains closed. Can't work out if the cost and faff is really worth getting some?
One other thing if wild camping , you want to be ready to drive off in case of any trouble, not collecting screens up off your windows.

Oct 5, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ci Mizar Gtl
Exp
One other thing if wild camping , you want to be ready to drive off in case of any trouble, not collecting screens up off your windows.
Good point! Makes me wonder how many people use them and if they make a big enough difference to make buying some a priority?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Good point! Makes me wonder how many people use them and if they make a big enough difference to make buying some a priority?
They have quite a big following on here but must say we have never felt the need , as you found we are never cold in winter, and in the summer we welcome the sun in , that's why we opted for a van with big windows and roof lights, not for covering up.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
parked in a field as we speak. -2outside. Toasty inside. Just our internal blinds and a Tesco finest dinner followed by scrabble. What more could you want

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
This was us weekend before last @Wildbill Up at Tan Hill Inn.
We have a silver screen and use it. Stops condensation and keeps the diesel heating in ! Though we wouldn't if we were parked up somewhere we thought we may have to make a quick getaway. Saying that , we wouldn't wild somewhere if we felt like that , really Anyway.
But we take the silver screen out most trips. The only time we use the remi blinds is in the summer. We've got Michelin agilis mud and snow tyres on Pug. So yes, we go out all weathers all year round. Without hook up.
IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My screen are home mad and internal can rip them down and be gone in a blink.
But in all our years of wild camping never had any problems but i think we maybe go very remote or we have ben lucky.
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
This was us weekend before last @Wildbill Up at Tan Hill Inn.
We have a silver screen and use it. Stops condensation and keeps the diesel heating in ! Though we wouldn't if we were parked up somewhere we thought we may have to make a quick getaway. Saying that , we wouldn't wild somewhere if we felt like that , really Anyway.
But we take the silver screen out most trips. The only time we use the remi blinds is in the summer. We've got Michelin agilis mud and snow tyres on Pug. So yes, we go out all weathers all year round. Without hook up. View attachment 144290

View attachment 144291

View attachment 144293

View attachment 144292
Briliant wish we had known the snow was that good we culd have ben ther with our skis
bill

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
A hot water bottle. Cosy and cheap. I have external silver screens for campsites. Also a large heavyweight throw that hangs from the over cab bed when wilding. Keeps out the draughts, and gives privacy but easy to rip down if I have to move.
Somewhere I have a photo of an icicle reaching up towards my grey water tank, which had been left open after I showered. It didn't melt for days, I was in Somerset.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A hot water bottle. Cosy and cheap. I have external silver screens for campsites. Also a large heavyweight throw that hangs from the over cab bed when wilding. Keeps out the draughts, and gives privacy but easy to rip down if I have to move.
Somewhere I have a photo of an icicle reaching up towards my grey water tank, which had been left open after I showered. It didn't melt for days, I was in Somerset.
Letting you gray water drip your going to hell
Bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Somewhere I have a photo of an icicle reaching up towards my grey water tank
I'm also a hot water bottle fan, with an easy-take-down curtain. My best was trying to de-ice the windscreen for ages, wondering why the scraper and the spray weren't working, before I realised the thick layer of ice was on the inside.
I wonder how cold it was that night, I've recorded -9 outside, -7 inside with no icing ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back