Winter warmer.. Beef Shin Hot-pot (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were remarking the other day that we hadn't had a meat & potato pie (which we always make with shin beef) for a while and this thread reminded us again.
In the oven at the moment is a casserole dish with a piece of shin, some spuds, water and a couple of Oxo cubes. In half an hour or so a top crust will be put onto it.
When cooked it will be dished up with pickled red cabbage (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We were remarking the other day that we hadn't had a meat & potato pie (which we always make with shin beef) for a while and this thread reminded us again.
In the oven at the moment is a casserole dish with a piece of shin, some spuds, water and a couple of Oxo cubes. In half an hour or so a top crust will be put onto it.
When cooked it will be dished up with pickled red cabbage (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
oh god!! Meat and tater pie ,you got me drooling. I shall be out at butchers tomorrow for some beef skirt...oh! Boy!! :notworthy2:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just an aside , hens shouldn't have raw tata peelings, ours do , but the rule is not, for some reason.

One of my favourite smells from my childhood. (Strange I know) was the huge pan on my Nan's stove slowly boiling all the old peelings from a couple of days to be mashed wish some sort of meal for the hens.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I made a Chilli CC in the slow pot the other night, first time I have made it with chunks of meat instead of mince!
I used cubed stew meat, red pepper, loads of spices, tomatoes etc. then 70% dark chocolate right at the end. Yummy yummy!

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I made a Chilli CC in the slow pot the other night, first time I have made it with chunks of meat instead of mince!
I used cubed stew meat, red pepper, loads of spices, tomatoes etc. then 70% dark chocolate right at the end. Yummy yummy!

Brilliant. I too have started doing this. Some streaky bacon and fresh coffee work wonders with it too :)

@ScotJimland I love beef shin too. Any 'cheap' bit of meat for that matter that just needs a little bit of love and attention. See last night's dinner. Salt beef. Brined for 10 days and simmered for 8 hours. To be fair in total it was only 30 mins work in total.

image.jpeg

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Love this time of year when the slow cooker comes into its own. Throw a whole chicken in to start with and that gives a couple of meals. When the chicken comes out I have the makings of some lovely broth, The family call it hotch potch soup as they are never really sure what I have put in it - always includes root veg and usually pearl barley although sometimes I replace the barley with small pasta. I like it thick enough to stand my spoon up and will freeze any excess.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Got a half leg of Lamb to 'dry roast' in the pot. I've done Beef & Chicken, so now it's Lamb. Will do it on Sat.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
......................... Salt beef. Brined for 10 days and simmered for 8 hours. To be fair in total it was only 30 mins work in total.

Years ago I used to brine brisket and it was delish - wanted to have another go recently but apparently my old recipe that includes saltpetre is no longer possible as the security forces can't tell the difference between salting beef and making bombs!
What do you use instead of saltpetre?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
See last night's dinner. Salt beef. Brined for 10 days and simmered for 8 hours. To be fair in total it was only 30 mins work in total.

could you share your recipe?

.. looks fantastic .. (y)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Years ago I used to brine brisket and it was delish - wanted to have another go recently but apparently my old recipe that includes saltpetre is no longer possible as the security forces can't tell the difference between salting beef and making bombs!
What do you use instead of saltpetre?

Prague powder #1 (make sure it is 1 not 2). Fiver on eBay. :)

image.jpg

Deleted User
  1. Beef shin makes a fabulous hot-pot.. Love this dish in winter..

Ingredients.
    .. very rough guide.. can be altered as you see fit , more or less
    1. 400gm Beef shin.. diced
    2. 3 x large rough chopped onions
    3. 4 x or more chopped carrots
    4. 1/2 small turnip diced
    5. 4 x cloves of garlic (optional)
    6. 1 x Can of chopped tomatoes
    7. Stock.. I use 2 x Oxo cubes in one litre of boiling water.
    8. Olive oil
    9. Plain flour
    10. salt and pepper
Method
  • Prepare the vegetables, then sweat in the olive oil in a large oven proof dish (or use a frying pan) until onions are clear.
  • Toss the diced meet in seasoned plain flour, then add to the vegetables..
  • Stir in the chopped tomatoes
  • Add the stock , stir and bring to the boil
  • Place in a pre-heated oven at 160c for three hours.. check after each hour and add more water if required..
  • When cooked the meat should be falling apart .. easily cut with a spoon..
As with any recipe, it's purely a guide...

View attachment 82680

That's not hot pot........it's a stew:)

Proper hot pot( Lancashire ) has neck of lamb and kidneys topped with thinly sliced potato's and finished in the oven........yum yum

Pea soup with bacon ribs and a few carrots done in the pressure cooker, meat and tater pie with shin or skirts(not much) and lots of taters.....family favourites from my mum:)

Reactions: GJH
Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
I make hot pot with breast of lamb, lovely flavour. Love brisket done in the slow cooker with carrots & onions. I also like lambs hearts & ox heart but the rest of the family won't eat them. And you can't beat liver & bacon with thick onion gravy.

Ox heart mm, same boat as you nowadays, only me to eat it. Mum used to cook "bullocks heart" , I have enquired in several butchers recently but none available. She used to cut out the veins and stuff them, then in the oven.
I should have asked when we were in France last week, plenty of veal about and the French do not waste anything.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
One of my favourite smells from my childhood. (Strange I know) was the huge pan on my Nan's stove slowly boiling all the old peelings from a couple of days to be mashed wish some sort of meal for the hens.

We still do, they go beserk for it

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's not hot pot........it's a stew:)

Proper hot pot( Lancashire ) has neck of lamb and kidneys topped with thinly sliced potato's and finished in the oven........yum yum

correct, I never said it was 'Lancashire Hot Pot'

hot pot , stew , .. semantics.. what's in a name .. and there are probably thousands of recipes from around the world that are called 'hot-pots'

Hot pot seems to have originated in Mongolia and the Jin Dynasty where the main ingredient was meat, usually beef, mutton or horse. It then spread to southern China during the Song Dynasty and was further established during the Mongolian Yuan Dynasty

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
could you share your recipe?

.. looks fantastic .. (y)

Of course :) I kinda made it up having read/watched others do it, so feel free to add/remove ingredients. The only must have ingredients are the Prague powder shown above (you can actually get away with not using this but I'm led to believe that the meat will go grey rather than pink as shown above) and the salt.

Here goes:

You will need a beef brisket. I wouldn't want to do this with anything less than 1kg. The more fat the better as it helps break down the connectivity tissue. Tip - lidl beats aldi in the brisket 'stakes'.

For the brine:

A few cloves of garlic.
100 grams dark sugar
25 grams Prague Power #1
250 - 400 grams salt (dependent on size of beef)
Spices to add flavour. Take your pick. I used all spice, cloves, dried ginger, apples (as I had one lying around), bay leafs, juniper berries, mace. But seriously you could let your imagination run wild at this point (dried chillies, mustard seeds, cinnamon - you get the drift, raid your larder!)
Onion quartered
Carrots chopped
Bouquet Garni or some mixed herbs
Water

You will need something to boil all the above in that will also hold (and submerse) the beef - for the brine. Non reactive.
I used an old casserole pot. Once boiled allow to cool. Then place beef into it.

Leave for 7-10 days turning beef over every day. Needs to be a cold place. I used my fridge but I dare say at this time of year a garage would work too.

Take beef out. Rinse well and pat dry. Wash pan. You want to now make a stock to simmer the beef in. Nothing fancy. A bunch of thyme, couple of onions, garlic, pinch of salt and pepper. Fill with water again. Bring to boil then simmer. Go for 6-8 hours (I dare say that this could be done in a slow cooker). You will know when it is done when a skewer goes in with no resistance.

Remove and carve what you need. Eat hot. I made sandwiches. Ideally rye/sourdough bread. Slightly toasted. Include gherkins, English mustard. I also used sauerkraut with melted Swiss cheese.

You can place the remainder of the brisket it the pan and warm up the next day for lunch/dinner.

Tip. The liquid from the summer makes excellent beef stock (aromatic) and if used for a beef ramen (for example) works wonders. Just add some honey, Chinese 5 spice and off you go.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks @TheWM

printed and will give it a go..

I have a 2.5kg rolled brisket in the freezer :)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My favourite is Oxtail, done in the slow cooker, it comes out sticky. We used to say it'll stick your ribs to your back bone. :D

It can be difficult to find some of the old cuts as mums nowadays don't have time like us olduns. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back