May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Hi
I have completely drained the water system but am looking at putting the heater on in the van( 2019 AutoSleeper Fairford).
Reading the manual, it says “ Heating is possible without restrictions with gas, electrical and mixed operation, with or without water”.
I’m not sure whether that means “ without water in the system “ or “ without heating any water in the system”, which obviously it hasn’t got.
It is a Truma liquid gas Combi 6E warm air heater with integrated hot water boiler.
The van is park on my drive with u/p readily available. The system should allow me to have it ticking over and a low, timed source of heat. Advice would be appreciated.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’ve got the Combi 4 which will work for heating only without the need to charge the water system.

Made the mistake of switching ours on for a few hours, thinking I was doing the right thing.........didn’t put our thermal cover on the screen and side windows.

Warm air inside, cold air outside........windows saturated in condensation. 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you have not already done so, make sure you open the taps and blow out any water trapped in the tap mechanism, they are mostly ceramic and a small amount of water that may freeze will crack the internals. sadly I know to my expense.

also if you have an accumulator make sure that is empty also.
then leave the taps open.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
I have completely drained the water system but am looking at putting the heater on in the van( 2019 AutoSleeper Fairford).
Reading the manual, it says “ Heating is possible without restrictions with gas, electrical and mixed operation, with or without water”.
I’m not sure whether that means “ without water in the system “ or “ without heating any water in the system”, which obviously it hasn’t got.
It is a Truma liquid gas Combi 6E warm air heater with integrated hot water boiler.
The van is park on my drive with u/p readily available. The system should allow me to have it ticking over and a low, timed source of heat. Advice would be appreciated.
Why not just put a little portable heater on in the Motorhome?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Nearly 22 years ago i had a van and every winter used a timed heater.
I ended up with severe condensation and mould. I now only empty all water, open taps halfway, fit screen over, unlatch some windows and remove soft furnishings.
I've had no problems since then on 9 vans.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We never heat ours, mattress turned on its side to allow air to circulate, cupboards open. Never had a problem

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We are also in the “do not heat” camp
All cupboards and doors open, ‘softs‘ moved away from walls

ALL mickey-snax removed

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Never heat ours; never had a problem.

Never seen dealers heat vans on their premises either.

Ian

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
No heating, just a small USB fan attached via a plug in transformer on a timed 240v socket. 1 hour on off x 3 over night.
I checked with a moister meter at the weekend and it read zero damp. All cupboards left open, and bathroom door. drained system out, taps open. 12v turned off on panel. soft furnishings removed, including the seat cushions over the water tank. It was -2c in the van, but dry.
Yes, if you want/ need to the Truma 6 can run just the blown heating, it heats up in about 10 mins.
Mike

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
This could be/probably is a daft question.

If you turn the 12 v off on the panel, does the solar still charge the leisure battery and the leisure battery charge the engine battery through the battery master.. It's just that you can't use lights/fridge on 12v. Or does EVERYTHING stop?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
This could be/probably is a daft question.

If you turn the 12 v off on the panel, does the solar still charge the leisure battery and the leisure battery charge the engine battery through the battery master.. It's just that you can't use lights/fridge on 12v. Or does EVERYTHING stop?
mine does with the panel switched off. but it is likely to depend on your charging system Joy.

we need someone who knows your van system for a definite answer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We never hear the van either when it's not in use, our lockers are spaced off the wall to allow airflow so leave them closed.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We never hear the van either when it's not in use, our lockers are spaced off the wall to allow airflow so leave them closed.
ours are vented at the bottom and top so i also leave them closed. i did leave them open the first winter we had it but noted that after a while the springs in the hinges that hold the doors up were beginning to weaken so stopped doing it. it was then i noted then venting slats:rolleyes:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Nearly 22 years ago i had a van and every winter used a timed heater.
I ended up with severe condensation and mould. I now only empty all water, open taps halfway, fit screen over, unlatch some windows and remove soft furnishings.
I've had no problems since then on 9 vans.
I have a small separate house heater on all winter, set at just above frost setting. NO condensation, no moss, and it feels more comfortable when you go to the van to check things. No chance of freezing either. Leave the bathroom door open too.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
mine does with the panel switched off. but it is likely to depend on your charging system Joy.

we need someone who knows your van system for a definite answer.
Phill, do you mean yours DOES keep on charging or it DOES switch everything off?

Sorry, I had asked two contradicting questions in my original post.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Phill, do you mean yours DOES keep on charging or it DOES switch everything off?

Sorry, I had asked two contradicting questions in my original post.
Hi Joy. sorry i did not make it really clear. ours DOES charge the hab battery when the panel is switched off, it also does the cab battery but mine does not need the Battery master to do that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back