Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi all just bought an autotrail apache and have found out since its not winterised.2 questions,what does this mean for winter usage ie at what temp will it freeze up, also can it be winterised and if so how and at what cost? Thanks Steve

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sure about FULL after market winterization. Every motorhome I have ever owned has been fully winterized from new. I would imagine it would be a very difficult job to FULLY winterize a motorhome as you would need to fit another floor in it. Many think you can winterize by lagging a few pipes and the tanks,but there's a lot more to it than that.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Steve, it's not as it seems, who told you it's not winterised?

It won be as winterised as some of the continental cousins but does not mean a great deal.

There are too levels, one regarding wall thickness and insulation within, nearly all vans will cope with a British winter in this aspect,

The main problems are with fresh and waste water. In severe weather the water ca n freeze. Normally things need to be few below zero before tha happens. You can make this better by lagging pipes leaving he waste open to drain in to a bucket and re routing interior pipes and or even putting heaters in the water tank.

I have made adjustments to our British van, it's warm as toast inside, and copes well enough for us :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Oh and btw, not many on here would of experienced the -27 d we experienced when skiing this year:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you dont need lots of insulation etc for winter .i know loads that havent got it and dont freeze over .think snowy knows a few as well .remember this is winter now .in oct /nov you head south and get warm in the summer weather . you dont need to change your gas either butane works fine .hee hee.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
you dont need lots of insulation etc for winter .i know loads that havent got it and dont freeze over .think snowy knows a few as well .remember this is winter now .in oct /nov you head south and get warm in the summer weather . you dont need to change your gas either butane works fine .hee hee.

Some of Us actually head south in the winter to find colder weather :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi you can madrid is the highest capital in europe i think .or you can go up the atlas mountains in maroc or tunisia . all very snowy .and cold . have been in -17c in maroc .but i didnt like it . mind we were 3800mtr up in the mountains . we always spend some time in the snow just so you can in a few hours be on the beach or out in the desert in your shorts . its all part of the fun. bet you would love it up near azrou.these are about 2000mtr just by the side of the road .
by marakesh world champion skiing goes on you would love it . yet at the bottom in the city it can be in the 30,s all at the same time .

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 3 305.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 305.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Morocco 2008-2009 3 310.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 310.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.