Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Are you likely to be going through Austria with your RV between now and the 15th April - then you need to read this:

As of 1 January 2008 drivers using Austria's roads are required, under the 29th amendment to the Motor Vehicles Act (KFG), to have appropriate winter equipment.

Between 1 November and 15 April of the following year drivers of private cars and goods vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum gross vehicle weight must be suitably equipped for winter conditions. That means that drivers using the roads in wintry conditions during this period must have winter tyres fitted.

Drivers of vehicles over 3.5 tonnes maximum gross vehicle weight and buses must comply with a winter tyres requirement. That means that the vehicle must always be fitted with winter tyres during the prescribed period, whether there is snow on the roads or not. This requirement applies to vehicles over 3.5 tonnes from 1 November to 15 April and to buses from 1 November to 15 March.
Winter tyres

When there is snow, slush or ice on the roads, private cars and goods vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes must be equipped for winter driving conditions with winter tyres fitted on all four wheels. Please remember that as the temperature falls, a road surface that is simply wet can turn into black ice, in which case the winter tyres requirement applies. So it is a good idea, during the winter months, to keep an eye on the weather forecast.
Under the winter tyres requirement for goods vehicles and buses, winter tyres must be appropriately marked and fitted on at least one drive axle.
Markings

Winter tyres are recognised as such in law if they bear the markings "Matsch und Schnee" (German for "mud/slush and snow"), commonly abbreviated to: M+S, M.S. or M&S.

To dispel any arguments I have removed the word 'Goods' from most of the above legal documets.

Bob French is currently on The Continent - went to a dealer to get some snow chains - and was told that his European all-weather tyres did not qualify as winter tyres - and he has had to replace all 6 in order to stay within the law.

it is only a €35 fine if you are caught without them BUT it is a €5000 fine if somebody else is endangered by the fact that you do not have them fitted - and apparently if you have an accident which is put down to your not having them fitted - they can confiscate your vehicle :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

For the full details go <Link Removed>

Last edited:
OP
OP
moandick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I am still trying to make my mind up about how many 'Winter' tyres are actually required to be fitted - is it on every wheel or (as outlined in green) just one tyre either side of your drive axle?

Drivers of goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes maximum gross vehicle weight and buses must comply with a winter tyres requirement. That means that the vehicle must always be fitted with winter tyres during the prescribed period, whether there is snow on the roads or not. This requirement applies to goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes from 1 November to 15 April and to buses from 1 November to 15 March.
Winter tyres

When there is snow, slush or ice on the roads, private cars and goods vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes must be equipped for winter driving conditions with winter tyres fitted on all four wheels. Please remember that as the temperature falls, a road surface that is simply wet can turn into black ice, in which case the winter tyres requirement applies. So it is a good idea, during the winter months, to keep an eye on the weather forecast.
Under the winter tyres requirement for goods vehicles and buses, winter tyres must be appropriately marked and fitted on at least one drive axle.

Come on - the legal eagle funsters - What are your thoughts?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

My interpretation would be that a dual wheeled RV (as most are) would need to fit four on the drive axle, a tag axle RV would only require two on the drive axle.

So .. I would need four , not six as I first said.. still a lot of money

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi where can you get 19.5" M&S tyres from? I have looked and can't find any.

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi olley
If you recall from my posts I had a couple fitted on my way south to the ferry in Sept Somerset area, and they were M&S assuming they are 245x70x19.5 you want these
HERE you can find a local supplier from their site:thumb:
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geo thanks, they don't actually state they are M&S tyres though? according to what Dick posted they must have it printed on the sidewall to be legal.

Done some more digging and have found Bridgestone W970 M&S in the 245x70x19.5" size. ::bigsmile: been thinking of changing sometime next year, just need a price. :Sad:

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have them fitted, they have a 2.5" M&S moulded in the side wall:Doh:
There is also a Kumo with the same Number on tyresite.com, no pic but google it and you will see its the same tyre as sold in the ukraine, retails about £168 from tyresite .com and they will deliver
Geo

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geo that sounds OK, under £700 for 4 rears.

Better start saving my pennies. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I have Michelin Agilis 81 fitted all round, I have just checked and to my surprise they are all marked M + S. I was about to replan my Feb/Apr 09 holiday as I had no intention of changing nearly new tyres to meet these requirements.

I wonder how many people will now avoid Austria for several months of the year if they do not have winter tyres fitted. They may have shot themselves in the foot.

Phil.

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
It acutally works out cheeper in the long run to fit europian tire sizes if you go down the route of changing all 4 on the drive axle. I had mine changed on the gulfstream!

They are the same size rims as a single decer bus, these tires cost about £95.00 each and can be gotten from anywhere in eourope!

patrick

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Answer

Hi

Stay out of Austria!! spend your cash elswhere!

This lot seem to think we are all Wealthy! its like the UK "tax the motorist till the pips squeek"

If they spent some cash of keeping the roads clear it would not be a problem?

end of rant!!

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back