Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I
I'm having a chuckle here Sandra ..
I remember a chat we had once ,I happened to mention I was putting the winter shoes on the van..
I hope you can remember your response to me..
I'll say no more :xgrin:.
Andy.
Im afraid you will have to remind me...in private.

Fitzwell

Free Member
Oct 12, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Karmann coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie ish
Totally agree with posts that mention camper tyres more likely to be changed because of age ,so softer compound is a no brainier. to the people saying that extra grip ( all year snow,ice,rain,dry)if I were to offer you drum brakes and then hand you a cash back what would you say ? Pay the price and keep your family and other family's safe and if you have the money ALWAYS buy the best you can afford

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I guess the two sets will last twice as long.

We found they lasted more than twice as long :)

As we no longer have to drive in all weathers, do a fraction of the miles we used to do, and stay home when it is not nice out we haven't bothered with winter tyres this year :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi DP_JAY

I am running the Continental Vanco Fourseasons2 at 225 75 16 with the 121 load index, during the summer I put Michelin Agilis Campers on the front just because I bought them for the front before deciding on the Continentals all around, after saying that you can tell when the Conti's are on the front as they tend to wander just very slightly which you would expect with a slightly softer compound and more flexible blocks on the tyre.

Martin

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Toyo H09 M+S on the camper
Winter tyres on the car, they come off april and go on in nov
Safety first, no one can argue that winter tyres are not the best for winter, and M+S are fab on grass and still good on the roads

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
In the running for me and available in 225 / 70 15 are :

Vanco fourseason = M&S marking
Vredestein Comtrac all season M&S plus snowflake symbol.

The Vred's seem to be one of very few all season available in my size which are all season with snowflake ...be keen to know if anyone else is running these?

Are the H09's not a full winter tyre @bubble63 ?

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
lived and worked as a driver in Scotland all my life both pcv and hgv and never had winter tyres in my opinion not reqd in the uk.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
@Cavs are you using Vanco Fourseason or 4 Season 2's ?
An interesting question that caused me to go and examine them:cautious:

The back axles have tyres labelled FourSeasons, which I bought about 15 months for my previous van. When ordering them I specified FourSeason 2 and that is what is invoiced. They are labelled "M+S" and they also have two symbols, one an icon of a tyre splashing through mud and one a snowflake. They're in the attached photo, although not very clearly (and please excuse the Devon mud!)

IMG_0302.jpg

The front tyres I bought in June this year when I got two more van wheels. They are FourSeasons 2 and labelled as such, with "M+S" and 'snowflake in a mountain' symbol.

They are all 225/75 R 16 121R.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Just about to fit a pair of Yokohama winters to my Comanche for the impending trip through France to Spain. I know ideally I should fit a full set but at least having them on the steering/braking/traction end will make a worthwhile difference.
I can't understand why anyone would poo poo the benefits of better traction and more importantly better braking in winter temperatures. No doubt it will be one of these pr*cks that slides into me.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just about to fit a pair of Yokohama winters to my Comanche for the impending trip through France to Spain. I know ideally I should fit a full set but at least having them on the steering/braking/traction end will make a worthwhile difference.
I can't understand why anyone would poo poo the benefits of better traction and more importantly better braking in winter temperatures. No doubt it will be one of these pr*cks that slides into me.

Oh dear :rolleyes: I am not going to be the one who tells you just how DANGEROUS that is :eek:

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Diesel -
In the running for me and available in 225 / 70 15 are :

Vanco fourseason = M&S marking
Vredestein Comtrac all season M&S plus snowflake symbol.

The Vred's seem to be one of very few all season available in my size which are all season with snowflake ...be keen to know if anyone else is running these?

Are the H09's not a full winter tyre @bubble63 ?
We have the Vredestein Comtrac Winter - - snowflake symbol
Excellent snow tyre - very good wear rate

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I think what chocks is saying is that if the front wheels have good traction and the rear less so, you may brake hard and see your bathroom passing before your eyes as the rear overtakes the front!
Yep thats my understanding too
All 4 need to be changed

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
I don't see it being any different from say the front tyres being a different make, tread pattern, age, state of wear, front/rear weight loading. I am sure many drivers have different tyres front and rear for one of those reasons.There is always a different level of grip from front to rear but given the option most would prefer that the bias was to the front. I would not drive a 5 tonne motorhome in conditions that would precipitate a rear end slide.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
OK............ Horses...............Water

I will save my breath beyond this point :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good idea.

For those others that offer advice and useful comments I will add that my other 4 tyres are Michelin Agilis Camping whose M+S rating technically makes them a winter tyre also.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Look, it's winter, it's not safe outside! We are all at risk from any vehicle not totally prepared for an arctic expedition, especially BMW drivers!

Hide in your homes and don't panic!!!!!!

Lock away all your car keys until Spring and use your free bus passes you old codgers!:xgrin:

Agaric

Free Member
Dec 7, 2015
Upminster
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Maximum grip tyres should always go to the rear axle, that's why when you have a new set of tyres put on one axle only they must go on the rear by law. Putting only a pair of winter tyres on a motorhome with a pair of summer tyres, the winters go on the back as in breaking that axle has the least grip so this helps balance out the better grip of the front axle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back