Winter tyres recommendations

Discussion in 'Motorhome Tips Tricks and modifications for skiing' started by michndan, Oct 21, 2018.

1. michndan

michndan Funster

Ratings:
    +51
    I don’t normally bother, but not changing van for a while so thought I would get a spare set of wheels and tyres for our skiing trips. We normally do a couple a year. So what are the best snow tyres on the market at the moment that you have used?

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Ratings:
    +3,127
    We use Vredesteins Snowtrac 3 on the cars but I do not think they do van tyres.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +4,765
    Toyo H09, cracking tyres.

4. seesaw

seesaw Funster

Ratings:
    +3,183
    What size are you running at the moment?

Sometimes you have to change rim sizes to get the best tyres.

On my Hilux I went from 17's to 16's to get a tyre I wanted at the right price.

HTH

Seesaw

5. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Toyo HO9s for us too. Been using them for years, both on this van and our last van. Can be difficult to get hold of though.

Denise

6. Jenben

Jenben Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,807
    We have some winter wheels and have bought some tyres called Nankang SL6 , they are Taiwanese and are a mid range (not budget) winter tyre according to our local tyre dealer. They were £80 a tyre when we bought them.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. michndan

michndan Funster

Ratings:
    +51
    Size is 225/75/16

8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,266
    I have snow tyres as spares for when we are in the mountain skiing. Get a proper set of SNOW tyres, not M&S.... make sure they have the snow flake on and the directional arrows for fitting. I was amazed after years and years of going skiing in Motorhomes just how good these new ones are. When everyone else was reaching for chains we just drove on by. Bit late to check what they are but will in the morning.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +4,765

I bought x6 Toyo HO9 for £400 from German oponeo site, delivered to german dealer who fitted

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Ratings:
    +888
    Use Vredstein Quadtrac 3 on our 4 x 4 and never had a problem in snow, they are an all season tyre. Vredstein do do a suitable van tyre, Comtrac 3 but my query on tyre pressures with regard to axle loading got a very wooly answer. Thinking of going for Michelin Agilis all season van tyres at the mo but a similar query to them went unanswered!

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Ratings:
    +943
    This is why I use Continental, they give good advice, tyre pressures and produce and regularly update this data booklet.
    https://blobs.continental-tires.com...998ef8b3/download-technical-databook-data.pdf

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Jenben

Jenben Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,807
    Good choice. Ours came from UK oponeo. Toyo now £107 each. Nankang £86.

Not really heard much of Nankang before, but they seem good quality 3pmsf approved, directional snow tyres with a very high load rating. Had them fitted by a local dealer who rated the brand and said they were easy to balance with few weights needed - a good sign. Will have to see how they perform on our next ski trip to see if it was worth saving the extra £200 for premium tyres.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,484
    I wonder how many in more rural areas like northern Scotland have winter tyres on their cars or everyday transport or just stick with what they have got

14. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Ratings:
    +9,052
    My local dealer said that Toyo didn't make the H09 winter tyre anymore. I bought three H09's from Openeo about 2 months ago. The tracking said they were coming from Estonia. 2 arrived wrapped together after about 5 days and the 3rd came two days later. They cost around £105 each inc delivery and were date stamped mid 2017.
    Edit: I run them all year.

• Like it Like it x 3
  15. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Ratings:
    +888
    Yes, I like the Camper ones I've got but they aren't winter rated of course. Ideally I want an all season tyre to save the faff of changing 6 tyres twice a year and Continental don't appear to do one.

16. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Ratings:
    +888
    Me, wife's car, both daughters and son and we vary from South to Northern Scotland. Most of my neighbours certainly have either winter or all-season like me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Ratings:
    +943
    The Vancontact Winter, Vanco Winter 2 and the Vancontact 4Season, which we had fitted all meet your criteria don’t they. Page 74 onwards.
    The 4Season looks virtually the same as the Camper but has both M&S and Alpine 3 peak, it can also be inflated to 75psi.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Nasher

Nasher Funster

Ratings:
    +1,777
    General Euro van AS 365 all season tyres with snowflake symbol

EU rating:

A for wet grip
    C for econony
    73dB for noise

Mine were 100 quid a corner fitted

19. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,138
    Continental fourseasons 2 at 121 load rating have mega stiff sidewalls, just put a bare tyre side by side with a Michelin camper 116 rated and see/feel the difference.

Martin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. tomm

tomm Funster

Ratings:
    +692
    Bought , again , Toyo H09 .215/70/15.....Had them on our previous van and in our opinion the grip and handling was a marked improvement over the camper ones they replaced. Opted for them on present van. Again seems better grip and handling. This time , purchased from Round Trip tyres, September this year . Delivered in 3 days from order.....£68.50 per tyre..... Date stamp on tyres is week 14 of this year . Again we will keep these tyres on all year .

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018