Winter tyres / chains required in much of France from Nov 2021??? (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Just read a French report that claims all vehicles will require snow (winter?) tyres or chains for much of France from Nov 2021. The area on the maps covers all routes into Spain Atlantic coast to the med .... It does mention mountainous areas so may only include the high passes into Spain and not the east coast route. Apologies if I am posting fake news but thought it might be important to anyone about to buy new tyres.

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Sorry if I have set a not totally factual thread running - as I am in the process of looking for new tyres I would hate to buy 4 and then find they are not acceptable to large parts of France.

The link is below. It does state:
A new government decree gives local authorities in 48 of France's 96 mainland départements the power to impose rules requiring winter tyres from November 2021, when the rules enter into effect.

Having done some searches I found myself in the middle of the strange way the French bring in new laws - remember they mandated breathalysers but did not bring in any law to enforce the law.... Winter tyre regs seem to be somewhat similar.

From what I gather law proposals were agreed some years ago but never actually fully passed into law. The report seems to state that regions will now have the authority to impose regulations wrt snow tyres/chains from 2021. Still cannot find anything regarding mandating special tyre during winter months as other EU countries do. My best guess is they are still only talking about mountain areas when covered in the white stuff. I have also included a link to a Uniroyal page that my be useful.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20201020/winter-tyres-to-become-compulsory-in-several-areas-of-france

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would just choose a tyre now that has the 3PMSF (three peaks mountain and snowflake logo) and you will be covered plus peace of mind if you get caught out, you still have to choose all season or dedicated winter tyre but unless you are actively searching snow ie going skiing I would say go all seasons.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think that in France on certain roads up into the ski resorts of the alps the police will stop any cars from proceeding up the mountain if they do not have chains. This is to avoid road blocks because of vehicles getting stuck.

Geoff

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Ladt year got stopped going into Andorra checked I had snow chains then on my way.Those that didn't turned around.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
A couple of years ago, I needed new tyres

As I regularly drive to Germany/Austria/Slovenia and they all require winter tyres, I bought some 'All Season' tyres (with the 3 peaks winter rating)

The tyres have proved very capable on ice & snow and offer much better grip in the wet (not that it ever rains here in Wales!)

What really surprised me was that the wear rate does not seem to be any worse than standard tyres

I used the EU tyre rating as a guide (tyres are rated for Grip, Economy & Noise) and went for General Eurovan AS 365 (I've always used General Grabber tyres on my four wheel drive vehicles, so a brand I trust)

I still carry snow chains (compulsory in many areas/countries) but have not needed to use them

I should add that the EU tyre rating can vary with different tyre sizes of the same make/model of tyre - worth doing your homework.....

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Just read a French report that claims all vehicles will require snow (winter?) tyres or chains for much of France from Nov 2021. The area on the maps covers all routes into Spain Atlantic coast to the med .... It does mention mountainous areas so may only include the high passes into Spain and not the east coast route. Apologies if I am posting fake news but thought it might be important to anyone about to buy new tyres.
We have lived in France for 5 years & now have a Westfalia Jules Verne on a Mercedes Vito chassis. This is our sole vehicle & never ever has there been a law requiring winter tyres. We live in Gironde a short distance from an east route to Spain. Apparently the last severe weather was 8 years ago.
However, we came to France in our Hymer in February & had snow-chains just in case. Never needed them.
Best wishes
Roger

CAH

Free Member
May 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Learning
Exp
Potential owner - just looking
Don't know about France but Switzerland has always required snow tyres in November or when the temperature goes below 7 degrees. Mountain roads require you to have chains. That said. The Swiss and French are pretty good at clearing the roads. On the car, I have all season mud and snow and never had a problem in a front wheel drive or 4x4. No clue what would be best for a van. I am also thinking of getting rid of an ancient 4x4 and using the van, so would be interested in how they cope with proper bad weather.... I live in the middle of nowhere down lanes

Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Since 2012
I read somewhere that the Michelin Agilis Camping is an M&S tyre, would that cover this eventually?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I read somewhere that the Michelin Agilis Camping is an M&S tyre, would that cover this eventually?

I have no idea about France, but in Germany there is a transitional regulation until 30 September 2024 and winter or all-season tyres with only an M + S code can still be used, provided they were manufactured before 1 January 2018. You may be required to prove that the tyres were actually manufactured and purchased before that date (tyres have a week & year code on them)

Other than that you will need tyres with the Alpine symbol (3PMSF three peaks mountain and snowflake logo) on your tyres, you’ll be fine, no matter what year they were purchased or manufactured

Hope this helps

Deleted User
In Norway they use mostly studded tyres, haven’t driven with them but drivers don’t seem to have any problems with grip. We were in a coach doing about 40 mph on snow!
Spongy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In Norway they use mostly studded tyres, haven’t driven with them but drivers don’t seem to have any problems with grip. We were in a coach doing about 40 mph on snow!
Spongy
Been a passenger in Sweden its frighting they drive like they are on dry roads.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Spongy
spent a few winters in Norway in a past life. and have driven a lot on snow and ice with studded tyres and chains. have even done an annual test on an ice pan, great fun. the main difference is that in southern europe they adopt a different approach to Scandinavia on snow clearing.

with the snow in the south generally they try to clear it they try and leave as little as possible on the road surface, and often its soft and mushy. whereas in the North they get way too much for too long to shift it all so it tends to get packed down more. and they generally do not use salt.

so the studs have good grip and the compacted ice and hard snow. they rip your tyres to shreds and get dragged out by the tarmac if they are driven excessively on none snow / ice covered roads.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
A new European standard has been introduced for the use of supplementary grip devices, such as snow chains and snow socks, whether they are metallic, textile or hybrids.
Up until this regulation was introduced, snow chains (not socks or other devices) were mandatory in many alpine regions of Austria, Germany and Italy, where winter tyres were not deemed to provide sufficient safety for winter driving.
The new standard – EN 16662-1:2020 – defines the testing methods for such devices and sets out a minimum performance on snow and ice irrelevant of the material used or construction. This now means that all approved products are able to be used, not just metallic snow chains.
AutoSock, a manufacturer of fabric-based devices has been campaigning for these new guidelines for 10 years. Its product for cars and light commercials up to 3.5 tonnes is approved and certified to the new standards.

These standards have to be implemented in all EU member states with a new identical national standard or by endorsement, at 30 November 2020, withdrawing any conflicting regulations at the same time.
1606340651464.png

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
My lad lives in Chamonix and as far as I’m aware he’s always had to have winter tyres and chains October to April. So I can’t really see any difference.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
I use all season on a 4x4 in uk absolutely fine until it snows then it stays on the drive, traction is terrible
Snow tyres on the van (not 4x4) in winter, normal tyres rest of year drives like a peach in the snow you almost forget it’s there.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I mostly use winter tyres, a couple of vehicles we run on all-season.

I have done since 1982 when we used to buy “town & country” tyres.

Think about it, we spend more time in winter conditions in the uk than we do summer. Well, north of Birmingham anyway.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have no idea about France, but in Germany there is a transitional regulation until 30 September 2024 and winter or all-season tyres with only an M + S code can still be used, provided they were manufactured before 1 January 2018. You may be required to prove that the tyres were actually manufactured and purchased before that date (tyres have a week & year code on them)

Other than that you will need tyres with the Alpine symbol (3PMSF three peaks mountain and snowflake logo) on your tyres, you’ll be fine, no matter what year they were purchased or manufactured

Hope this helps

I thought the German regulations only required winter tyres of whatever markings when there is snow or ice on the roads. Am I correct?

Geoff

wileyfox

Free Member
Nov 4, 2016
Bristol/Zurgena.
Funster No
MH
hymer 544
Exp
since 2004
I believe most of northen spain will be the same, saw a map on a spanish site dont know what date it comes in. Think the site was N322?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I thought the German regulations only required winter tyres of whatever markings when there is snow or ice on the roads. Am I correct?

Geoff

Yes, you are correct - generally Germans run suitable 'winter' tyres from October to Easter, but the law states you have to have them if conditions demand them, rather than specific dates

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
As far as I can establish, the law when introduced will enable the 48 departments concerned - all in mountainous regions - to designate certain communes within their departments where the fitting of winter tyres, or alternatively the carriage of chains/snow socks, will be obligatory during winter months. Those areas aren't likely to affect the majority of users who will be on principal roads, autoroutes etc, so much through traffic won't be concerned by it.

Here is a Google translation of the government page describing the change.

On the subject of winter tyres, it would seem motorhomers have, at last, a 4 season tyre with a CP rating (required in Italy, I believe?). Continental have recently introduced the VanContact Camper, with the 3PMSF marking. As far as I can see, it ticks all the boxes for anyone contemplating changing to four season tyres. Unfortunately, I've still got far too much life left in my VancoCamper tyres to justify replacement right now but if you're due for a set, they are worth investigating (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back