Winter storage heating (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Wacko

Free Member
Jan 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line
Greetings
we are new to Motorhome ownership taking delivery of our Roller Team T Line shortly before Christmas, and we are waiting patiently behind closed doors for the dreadful COVID situation to pass and we can start to use ‘Jimmy’ as intended!
We have the vehicle parked on our drive and I’m able to connect to our house electricity and as I walk around our village, I see several others similarly ‘plugged in’, I’m assuming to keep the batteries charged.
As it’s been pretty old, especially overnight, I wondered if I should be providing some background heating inside the motorhome and if that is the right thing to do, can I use the integral warm air electrical heater, or should it be some form of portable heater, run from my house supply?
If any of you experienced motorhomers, or whatev the correct name is, can advise, it would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Nick

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Greetings
we are new to Motorhome ownership taking delivery of our Roller Team T Line shortly before Christmas, and we are waiting patiently behind closed doors for the dreadful COVID situation to pass and we can start to use ‘Jimmy’ as intended!
We have the vehicle parked on our drive and I’m able to connect to our house electricity and as I walk around our village, I see several others similarly ‘plugged in’, I’m assuming to keep the batteries charged.
As it’s been pretty old, especially overnight, I wondered if I should be providing some background heating inside the motorhome and if that is the right thing to do, can I use the integral warm air electrical heater, or should it be some form of portable heater, run from my house supply?
If any of you experienced motorhomers, or whatev the correct name is, can advise, it would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Nick
Hi Jimmy, the general consensus here is don't heat it, drain all water down and crack the skylights to allow airflow

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But leave it plugged in to keep the batteries charged. Ensure this also includes the engine battery - your handbook should show you how if it's not automatic.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Having tried various methods including ventilation and those condensation traps, I have discovered that the best way to prevent condensation, in my van, is to leave a fan heater on frost setting. The max/min thermometer inside tells me that it keeps the interior at minimum 1° C which seems to prevent the issues that I was having.
Although a “heater” it’s not exactly heating.

Upvote 1
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I too have an old greenhouse frost protector. I leave it on permanently leaving the van at around 10c or a little less. I have not had any damp problems over the last few years that I am aware of. I do drain it of water.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We do not heat our van when laid up but do charge occasionally

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Skylight slightly open, ‘van heating on frost setting, drain down, ehu connected.....and all should be well! ( and ‘welcome’ from Ciren!) (y)

Upvote 0

wdogg

Free Member
Jan 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
iveco daily mini bus
Why would you want to heat a van , car or any vehicle if your not using it ?? If u need to charge the battery up either it on its way out or something is draining it, your better of spending a night in it on your drive using everything u would use if you were away in it , or just isolate the battery’s n start it up in the summer 😉😉

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Why would you want to heat a van , car or any vehicle if your not using it ?? If u need to charge the battery up either it on its way out or something is draining it, your better of spending a night in it on your drive using everything u would use if you were away in it , or just isolate the battery’s n start it up in the summer 😉😉
If you isolate the batteries the alarm and immobiliser won't work, both of which will drain the cab battery if not on EHU.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
:WelcomeFlag:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back