winter south of france (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Hi funsters has anyone spent the winter in the south of france i hear so many differing stories about the weather down there travelled through there a few years ago & stayed at leucate & antibe in feb & must say the weather was very pleasant or was i just lucky the reason i ask is i sort of fancy it next winter by way of a change lookiing forward to your comments happy travels cheers Rod:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I tried it a few years ago and left as quick as I could, the Med coast is cold, wet and windy, very windy. The west coast is a little warmer but still to cold for me.

only one Europe place to over winter, Costa del sol or the Algarve.

Doug...

OP
OP
marrod23
Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Thanks Doug must admit did get caught in some very bad wind last time i think they call it mistral winds from russia not too sure cheers Rod:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Last ime I was in the South of France was February 2010 and it was blowing a gale and snowing like h--l.
Immediately turned and headed into Spain :Cool:

Deleted User
A nice German couple that we have met at Alcossebre in Nov. & Dec. over the last couple of years stay at Leucate from Feb each year for a couple of months.They obviously like it & whilst they are not sun worshipers they do like the sun.No experience myself, prefer Almeria and Eastern Algarve this time of the year though nothing is guaranteed.

bambi 2

Free Member
Jun 7, 2009
france, (Aveyron)
Funster No
MH
A class.
Exp
26 years
winter in the south of france

We live in the south of france, but we spend our winters in Morocco, which is where we are now and we have had sunshine every day for the last 2 months, although we have a central heated house we find it's too cold to stay in france and it's cheaper to turn off the heating etc. and head south. bambi 2

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Winter in France? Don't do it. Yes, the sun is shining today, but the wind chill has brought the temperature down to about -8. -15 to -18 overnight. It's horrible, I hate it and I wish I wasn't here.
Pauline in the Dordogne having a VERY bad day

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As others have said... still too far north to get any real benefits ..
Come down here to southern Spain with the rest of us !

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
cheer up it is very cold here in the UK

Winter in France? Don't do it. Yes, the sun is shining today, but the wind chill has brought the temperature down to about -8. -15 to -18 overnight. It's horrible, I hate it and I wish I wasn't here.
Pauline in the Dordogne having a VERY bad day

Just as cold if not more so in the UK.. Bright sun in Kent this afternoon, but -2 and snow due tonight.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
here in roche showing +5c on thermometer. -6c last night.
really sunny clear sky. just ben outside talking with a friend that was leaving and its really nice but need to be wrapped up.
france is cold in winter .southern spain or maroc are the only easy destinations for warmth in winter.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi funsters has anyone spent the winter in the south of france i hear so many differing stories about the weather down there travelled through there a few years ago & stayed at leucate & antibe in feb & must say the weather was very pleasant or was i just lucky the reason i ask is i sort of fancy it next winter by way of a change lookiing forward to your comments happy travels cheers Rod:thumb:

We have just driven down through France to the Med and into Italy. Cold, Wet, Foggy, windy. We had sleet as we travelled towards Italy and are now at Bologna in 2ft of snow with road sides piled up to 5ft high. Minus 5c last night. The Police were directing all trucks over 7.5 tons off thye Autoroutes into parking areas for the last 2 days of our journey.

John & Joan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back