winter socks for Merc twin rear wheel drive (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This will be our first winter drive to Spain in January using our recently purchased Merc Sprinter based motorhome with twin rear wheel drive .I will speak to the Merc dealer for info but what do others use for this type of drive if they get caught out in snow conditions .I thought snow socks ,presumed I would need to place on the inner and outer wheels but not possible to place on the inner wheels ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would think you'd be better off with snow chains on the outer wheels as I suspect you have a heavyish MH so snow socks might not be 'happy' trying to cope with the weight.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I would think you'd be better off with snow chains on the outer wheels as I suspect you have a heavyish MH so snow socks might not be 'happy' trying to cope with the weight.

I agree that Snow Chains would be a better solution.

I used Snow Socks once on a 5-Series BMW when I got caught at work by a sudden snow fall. Until they were fitted, I could hardly even move in the car park. Soon after I left work I had to go up a long, steep, narrow lane. I was stopped at the bottom by someone coming down in a Landrover, and was told that only a 4x4 would get up there. I set off a bit warily, but with the Traction Control cutting in and out continuously, I made it slowly to the top (about a mile) - passing numerous cars on the way that had come to a standstill.

I then had about another 15 miles to drive to home, and actually deliberately went on the back roads, because the socks would have been ruined on the main roads where there was not so much snow.

They are great for an emergency, but I don't think they would last very long if used for a long journey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I very got twin wheel 6 tonne rearl drive merc (616) and have sailed past many stranded vehicles on just snow tyres in the snow. Carry chains but never used them. Very stable.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

We have had three RWD Single Axle with 4X2 and two RWD with Single rear wheel Sprinters (Still have one).

Always ran them on Winter tyres, All-year.

Never got stuck. Even drove around a campsite in Norway in the old 416CDi Eura Mobil Mercedes high chassis, in about 2 foot of snow to find a pitch. Never slipped once.

What Brand and Model of Tyres have you got fitted?.

TM

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I've used both snow socks and chains the former worked fine until we hit ice/snow with grit on it and within 2km the were ripped to shreds, so it's chains for me all the way now. I would just like to point out that we are front wheel drive so a bit more strain on the wheels

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
We have a twin rear wheel transit and carry chains. We have travelled to Spain for the last four January's and never needed them. If you buy chains make sure you practice at home before you go. Fitting chains to twin rear wheels is easy just put either a lump of wood or levelling ramps under the inner wheel and that will leave the outer wheel in the air you can then fit the chains in one go very easily.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi,

We have had three RWD Single Axle with 4X2 and two RWD with Single rear wheel Sprinters (Still have one).

Never got stuck. Even drove around a campsite in Norway in the old 416CDi Eura Mobil Mercedes high chassis, in about 2 foot of snow to find a pitch. Never slipped once.

TM

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi,

TM
We have Continental. 205/75R 16C. 110/108R

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I should not worry unless you are thinking of going somewhere isolated in the mountains,,Spanish are much better prepared for snow and ice than UK. Roads are very seldom blocked and if it does happen socks or chains would be useless because it would be really deep snow to cause it,,,,,busby,,

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Contivan Contact 100 They are the original tyres by Hymer

Hi,

Not a great tyre in Snow or on Ice.

I am not sure what route you are taking to Spain?.

Without knowing the age or wear on the tyres, here goes.

RWD Sprinters with 4 wheels on the rear axle are brilliant in the snow when laden. As I may have said, we have had three and they grip very well.

If you are merely driving down to Spain, stick with the tyres you have, providing they are less than say, 5 ish years old.

If you are planning mountainous driving (alps, pyrenees) get winter tyres fitted. We use Michelin Alpin.
If your tyres are old and you are thinking of doing a lot of mixed drives but not much in snow or ice, choose M+S All-Season tyres.

I really would not waste money on socks, they will get torn to shreds.

TM

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks,they have 16,000 miles on them and are 3 years old .We do plan to drive slowly down through France but would prefer to avoid tolls.Need to look in to the lowest elevation route to avoid the mountains etc

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks,they have 16,000 miles on them and are 3 years old .We do plan to drive slowly down through France but would prefer to avoid tolls.Need to look in to the lowest elevation route to avoid the mountains etc
Not many mountains between Calais and Spain if you take the western route,,Travelled in northern Spain for years in the winter and roads have always been kept clear,,even in ski resorts,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back