sostas

Free Member
Nov 16, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi,
I found Teasy 2007's thread very useful as we are also considering travelling to Portugal in January.
My query concerns a route from Calais to say Albufeira. Would snow be a problem? We prefer to avoid toll roads if possible.
Any suggestions for places to visit en route would also be appreciated.
Thanks Sostas :Smile:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Sostas,

Here's some stopovers in France and a direct route across Spain to the Algarve, this route is very popular with the snowbirds.:Smile:

Gace about 197 miles from Calais, Parking in the town square 7pm to 10am.
GPS N48º 47'43.8 E0º17'46.0

Laigne en Belin about 280 miles from Calais An aire in the village which is just of the N138 about 12 miles south of Le Mans GPS N47º 52'41.9 E0º 13'38.0

St Maure de Touraine about 330 miles. From Calais. An aire in the village GPS N47º 6'42.0 E0º 37'1.0

Cavignac about 525 miles from Calais miles and aire in the village just off the N10 about 20 miles north of Bordeaux.
GPS N45º 5'57.8 W0º 23'16.7

Biarritz an aire on the sea front about 650 miles from Calais GPS N43º 27'54.7 W1º 34'18.1

I would suggest you use the A63 Peage at the end of the N10 as that road can get very congested through Bayonne & Biarritz to St Jean de Luz.

In Spain don't take the A8 motorway to Bilbao the road gets very congested, make sure you take the Pamplona road A15 and turn off at Irurtzun and follow the Burgos/Vitoria signs.

In Spain there are plenty of night stops as far as Madrid and Valdepenas on the route after that they are few and far between. We often stop in the truckers truck stops or the Car parks of the large restaurants/hotels.

The only one I've got details of is the Shell Garage at KM 191 on the A4 north of Valdepenas it is a very good spot. Well off the road and plenty of room.

Then it's Cordoba, Seville (both worth a stopover) and the Algarve

We've used this route many times in the winter. The weather ranged from very cold to relatively pleasant.

We've never been snowbound (yet). The Spanish are on the ball with their snow clearing. The ploughs are out along the Autovia long before the snow starts to fall. Two places where you could have problems. The first at the Puerto de Somosierra (Alt.1440metres) between Burgos and Madrid. One winter we went over the Pass behind a snow plough. Snow chains are compulsory over the pass after a snow fall.

The other place you could get delayed is through the Gorges south of Valdepenas. This is a spectacular road, good scenery. Some truck drivers treat it like a grand Prix circuit. It's a dual carriageway but the road twists and bends. (The first time we went that way we thought it was dangerous. Now we find it exciting).

Don

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back