Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
We are going away in the MH this week then it will be stored over winter. It’s a bailey with a heater beside the side door which is designed to keep the frost off the tanks when it’s freezing and stored. We have a solar panel but still worried about leaving it switched on for lengthy periods.
This is our first winter with MH so looking for your opinions on these, what is best to do
I vaguely remember the salesman explaining it all but it’s gone now

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
There are many threads on here about how to winterise your motorhome. Use the search box, top right next to the bell and you will get all the advice you are seeking.
What he said. The main thing is to make sure you get as much water out of the system as you can.
IMO no need to have any heating in the van.
You should have a handbook with the van that gives info on overwintering.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Yeah cheers guys have had a look about draining down water and grey etc, can’t see any mention of the inbuilt heater. Not sure everyone has one as I’m sure he said it was an extra

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ventilation is more important than heat.
Look at all the vans on dealers forecourts and compounds, they aren't heated.
Take all soft furnishings home and stand/prop seat cushions on edge away from walls.
Open drawers and cupboard doors

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
If possible use it as much as you can throughout the winter months, even a long day trip out in the van will be better than leaving it stood idle for months. Your engine,Batteries, heating & water systems will be much better for it, and could save you money on costly repairs further down the line.
There is nothing more disappointing in my experience, than finding something that did work but doesn't now, after a long storage period of non use, as it delays the getaway and can screw up your booked holiday leave if at work.
LES

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Ventilation is more important than heat.
Look at all the vans on dealers forecourts and compounds, they aren't heated.
Take all soft furnishings home and stand/prop seat cushions on edge away from walls.
Open drawers and cupboard doors
We have just been talking about that a and will do as you suggest and drain water etc but would still like to hear of anyone with experience with these frost proof heaters
We had caravans for years and never done anything at all with them with no issues but don’t want to leave anything to chance. Might end up not using heater but knowledge is power right

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
If possible use it as much as you can throughout the winter months, even a long day trip out in the van will be better than leaving it stood idle for months. Your engine,Batteries, heating & water systems will be much better for it, and could save you money on costly repairs further down the line.
There is nothing more disappointing in my experience, than finding something that did work but doesn't now, after a long storage period of non use, as it delays the getaway and can screw up your booked holiday leave if at work.
LES
We do intend to and have been doing that once a month or so and makes sense to continue. A good excuse for a wee run down the coast and a cuppa at the beach is good fun too

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My PVC has external insulated tanks - and 'heaters'.

I certainly wouldn't use the heaters unless on EHU, they would kill the batteries in hours.

And if your tanks are empty, I can't see the need for heating them :unsure:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
My PVC has external insulated tanks - and 'heaters'.

I certainly wouldn't use the heaters unless on EHU, they would kill the batteries in hours.

And if your tanks are empty, I can't see the need for heating them :unsure:.
Thanks, that’s what I was wondering
My work van never started after a few days sitting in the frost this week but just back from MH for the pre trip check and it started fine so the solar does it’s job but wasn’t sure if it would manage a wee heater as not sure what energy they consume
Unless I hear otherwise I will do all the winter stuff suggested and ignore the heater as our MH is stored in secure storage but no power

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My guess is that the "heater" is just for very short term i.e. overnighting to protect the water/waste tanks - but the outlets can still freeze! Almost any electrical heater will absolutely cane the batteries for longer than that.

Empty the water/waste tanks, drain down the boiler and purge as much water out of the system as you can - your handbook will tell you how.
I'm not a believer of heating an unoccupied van, proper ventilation is a much better defence against condensation etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
One thing to bear in mind, depending on the storage location: vermin. Vermin seek out two things: warmth and food (a bit like me!). So I would not heat a van in storage (ventilation is more important as others have pointed out). Ensure any traces of food are removed, not just the food itself -- once had an old peanut tin in the shed containing nuts and bolts and the mice went mad for it.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
It's our 1st m/h - in storage on a farm, emptied our cushions, as when we visited most weekends, to check ( zebedee) over, hubby noticed on the ladder for over cab bed, he had put foam on the rungs, for the grandkids little feet, ( mice had chewed the foam!!, So after reading all info on here, emptied cushions, and as mentioned above opened cupboard, ect, only worry is the ovecab mattress is a kingsize, ( we have left that ) due to size and storage, fingers crossed so far, no more unwelcome visitors :X3: :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Well that’s her tucked up, read up on how to drain heater, drained all water and waste, left taps open, shower head in tray open, cupboards open and cushions moved from walls. Looks like we’ve been burgled but I’m sure it will all help
Oh yes, and removed all food to remove temptation of hungry lil critters
Thanks for all the tips

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back