Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi

I have recently acquired our first MH.

We will be using the van during December and January but during the periods when it’s not being used, what should I do?

At the moment, I empty all the fresh water and grey water, run the taps and leave open in middle position. I also leave the water tank drains open.

Not sure what I should be doing with the heating fluids. It’s an Alde wet system so I presume the water contains an antifreeze? Is there a water tank that needs to be drained between uses?

If there’s anything else at risk that I’ve overlooked, I would appreciate advice on that too.

Thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi

We will be using the van during December and January but during the periods when it’s not being used, what should I do?

At the moment, I empty all the fresh water and grey water, run the taps and leave open in middle position. I also leave the water tank drains open.

Not sure what I should be doing with the heating fluids. It’s an Alde wet system so I presume the water contains an antifreeze? Is there a water tank that needs to be drained between uses?

If there’s anything else at risk that I’ve overlooked, I would appreciate advice on that too.

Thanks
You’ve got it pretty well covered there, just disconnect the shower hose and make sure it’s empty.
Check there’s nothing in the cupboards that could freeze and have some ventilation to stop condensation. Before we were fulltiming I used to pull any cushions away from outside walls and put salt (2kg bag) in a couple of empty ice cream tubs to collect moisture.
there will be ideas on heaters and dehumidifiers but I’ve never wasted electricity on them.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi

Thanks
There should be a tap (ours is yellow) next to the boiler, that should be in the upright position to drain the water off, around 6-8 ltrs. It does NOT drain the wet radiators off, they’re fine left alone, as you say that has the antifreeze in.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
With the Alde you do not need to drain the heating fluid because it has antifreeze in it just like your engine cooling system. But you must drain your boiler tank which stores the hot water.

In mine there is a yellow lever tap and you just turn that lever up. Next to it is a tap on the other line which you just screw open as well. Then turn all the taps to the hot setting and open them to let all the water in the pipes run out.

Alternatively you may have an automatic drain tap which opens when the temperature drops close to freezing.

OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
With the Alde you do not need to drain the heating fluid because it has antifreeze in it just like your engine cooling system. But you must drain your boiler tank which stores the hot water.

In mine there is a yellow lever tap and you just turn that lever up. Next to it is a tap on the other line which you just screw open as well. Then turn all the taps to the hot setting and open them to let all the water in the pipes run out.

Alternatively you may have an automatic drain tap which opens when the temperature drops close to freezing.

Thanks for that info. Does it automatically fill back up from the fresh water tank?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that info. Does it automatically fill back up from the fresh water tank?
Once drained down you leave the taps and drains open just to make sure. Make sure you switch your pump off at the master switch as well. And by the way you should also drain your toilet cassette.

When you want to use it again close all the taps and drains and fill up your water tank, then switch on your pump at the master switch. Then switch on the tap furthest from boiler and put it on hot. Wait until the water is flowing smoothly (it will take a while as the boiler will be filling up) and then turn it onto cold and wait again until it is flowing smoothly. Repeat for each tap and then make sure the toilet is flushing OK. Then you should be good to go. By the way you should also check the level of the heating fluid every so often and top up with Alde's antifreeze fluid if necessary.

Or to save all the faff you could keep the motorhome plugged into the mains when not in use and set the room thermostat to 10 degrees centigrade or so and keep the heating on. As long as you have a properly winterised motorhome you should then be OK doing it this way. By winterised I mean one that has been designed and tested for temperatures down to -20 centigrade. But, of course, this option does cost more money in electricity bills! We do it if we intend to use the motorhome in the next month or so, otherwise I drain down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Once drained down you leave the taps and drains open just to make sure. Make sure you switch your pump off at the master switch as well. And by the way you should also drain your toilet cassette.

When you want to use it again close all the taps and drains and fill up your water tank, then switch on your pump at the master switch. Then switch on the tap furthest from boiler and put it on hot. Wait until the water is flowing smoothly (it will take a while as the boiler will be filling up) and then turn it onto cold and wait again until it is flowing smoothly. Repeat for each tap and then make sure the toilet is flushing OK. Then you should be good to go. By the way you should also check the level of the heating fluid every so often and top up with Alde's antifreeze fluid if necessary.

Or to save all the faff you could keep the motorhome plugged into the mains when not in use and set the room thermostat to 10 degrees centigrade or so and keep the heating on. As long as you have a properly winterised motorhome you should then be OK doing it this way. By winterised I mean one that has been designed and tested for temperatures down to -20 centigrade. But, of course, this option does cost more money in electricity bills! We do it if we intend to use the motorhome in the next month or so, otherwise I drain down.

That's a very helpful description and makes perfect sense...much appreciated

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back