Winter (or more specifically) January fortnight - where would you go? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I have a fortnight off in January, I want to go somewhere in the motorhome, where have any of you been that you would go again?
I would love to do the Isles of Harris and Lewis (been before in january in car and cottage) but of course there's little tourist stuff open.
Other alternative is Ireland and do some of the Wild Atlantic Way as Im originally from Donegal and could go see my parents for a couple of nights too.
Is there anywhere else though, don't really know about France for example, whats it like that time of year, what to do, is it a bad time of year?

Any experiences of January travels gratefully listened to :)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
These are the places we have spent new year in.

My Favourites are in Bold. 1st, 2nd & 3rd places in brackets.

St Lary Soulan - French Pyrenees
Lake Annecy - France
Benidorm - Spain
Salobrena Coast / Sierra Nevada Mountains - Spain
Javea - Spain (3)
Arcen/Bad Arcen/Klein Vink Limburg - The Netherlands
Aviemore/The Cairngorms - Scotland
Otzal Valley - Austria (2)
BEITOSTØLEN - Norway
tyrifjorden - Norway (1)
Øvre Ramse - Norway
Rjukanfossen - Norway
Voss - Norway
Grimentz - Switzerland

The 1st photo is the private bathrooms at the campsite
The 2nd photo attached is the Spa we go to after the slopes. It is next door to the Camp Site.
Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 00.36.53.png

Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 00.32.07.png

Last edited:

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I wouldn't go anywhere which was too weather dependant. With just too weeks available it is hardly worth going continental, too much travel is required to escape the northern weather. I tend to opt for city sites like they have at York, Canterbury, Bristol, Cardiff. Two weeks at just one place could be too long but you could always build yourself a tour taking in some city locations so that if the weather was foul, all the days would not be a write off. e.g. Yoek to Cardiff via the Cotswolds and perhaps on to Bristol or vice versa?
ezee

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
These are the places we have spent new year in.

My Favourites are in Bold. 1st, 2nd & 3rd places in brackets.

St Lary Soulan - French Pyrenees
Lake Annecy - France
Benidorm - Spain
Salobrena Coast / Sierra Nevada Mountains - Spain
Javea - Spain (3)
Arcen/Bad Arcen/Klein Vink Limburg - The Netherlands
Aviemore/The Cairngorms - Scotland
Otzal Valley - Austria (2)
BEITOSTØLEN - Norway
tyrifjorden - Norway (1)
Øvre Ramse - Norway
Rjukanfossen - Norway
Voss - Norway
Grimentz - Switzerland

The 1st photo is the private bathrooms at the campsite
The 2nd photo attached is the Spa we go to after the slopes. It is next door to the Camp Site.
View attachment 530140

View attachment 530138
Where is that one in the photo ?

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Perhaps in a normal year I might attempt the Christmas Markets or Brugges or similar interesting places but COVID is still an issue and the need for tests and proof of vaccination will be putting some off such trips.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I wouldn't go anywhere which was too weather dependant. With just too weeks available it is hardly worth going continental, too much travel is required to escape the northern weather. I tend to opt for city sites like they have at York, Canterbury, Bristol, Cardiff. Two weeks at just one place could be too long but you could always build yourself a tour taking in some city locations so that if the weather was foul, all the days would not be a write off. e.g. Yoek to Cardiff via the Cotswolds and perhaps on to Bristol or vice versa?
ezee
I disagree

Overnight crossings from Hull-Rotterdam are a 90 mins trip from our house.

I love the drive down to the Alps through Luxembourg, Germany and into Austria. We take a day or two staying at Stelplatz. The stops cost us around €0-€30 each way. Some nice City/Town/Village stops.

Stay on a superb 5 Star campsite at a very reasonable price.

FREE Shuttle bus to the ski lifts in Solden.

Amazing Facilities

Otzal Valley is Spotless, safe and reasonably friendly.

The roads have always been passable.

Wonderful way to spend the first two weeks of the year.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Eurotrotters i would be interested in that trip. Can you point me in the direction of the five star campsites and have you been over Christmas time?

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Wild Atlantic Way in January?......not for the faint-hearted.
Short days, wind, rain, Atlantic storms. It could be spectacular, but for the wrong reasons if you are in a motorhome!
I live on the west coast so speaking from experience.....January is a month to head south imho.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Perhaps in a normal year I might attempt the Christmas Markets or Brugges or similar interesting places but COVID is still an issue and the need for tests and proof of vaccination will be putting some off such trips.

In January?

Gordon

(I love the markets!)

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Wild Atlantic Way in January?......not for the faint-hearted.
Short days, wind, rain, Atlantic storms. It could be spectacular, but for the wrong reasons if you are in a motorhome!
I live on the west coast so speaking from experience.....January is a month to head south imho.;)
LOL, I would actually consider it, Im a Donegal man born and bred so know what it can be like lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
So there's a lot of good suggestions there, I've no qualms about going anywhere to be honest, not bothered by the cold, that's what the heating and decent clothes are for, as for lengthy drives, again not to bothered if it's good scenery, we love the driving as much as the staying somewhere.

I'll have to do some research into some places, won't rule europe out yet, though the whole covid thing does indeed mess with the logistics of it all for sure.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Eurotrotters i would be interested in that trip. Can you point me in the direction of the five star campsites and have you been over Christmas time?
HI,

Sure. We went for new year.

We have been many times since. We have postponed the last two years.

They list it as 4***

Exceptional

One day we arrived in 20c sunshine for a BBQ. Next day was 2 foot of snow.

Spa across the river

Ski Here

Free Bus Shuttle

I use the route down through Luxembourg from Rotterdam (Sadly no more Zeebrugge)

Rotterdam - Luxembourg (I will look up the free Stelplatz just inside Germany)

Reisemobil-Stellplatz Saarlouis FREE St.Nazaire Allee, 66740 Saarlouis, Germany
Reisemobil-Stellplatz Blaubeeren https://stellplatz.info/wohnmobilstellplatz/wohnmobilstellplatz-blaubeuren €10
Reisemobil-Stellplatz Fussen https://wohnmobilpark-fuessen.de/stellplatzplan-wohnmobilplatz-beste-lage/

Take the TOLL FREE Route from Fussen to Otzal

Any questions, please ask?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back