Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Please, please drive carefully...

Especially in snowy weather, this is a video of how easy you can lose control..

Not for viewing enjoyment because it`s not nice viewing.... but if it keeps you aware and makes you think, it would have been worth posting...

It`s not filmed in this country, but the USA,,,, but could easily have been over here or on the continent...

Please don't watch if you don't like seeing RTA`s...

It has certainly opened my eyes as to how easy an accident can happen...

Drive safely...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=360418080739897

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
WOW .. When it was released about 4 years ago it happened in Russia .. Must be one of those things that are mentioned in Dr Who.. a fixed or repeating moment in time

The report on the accident stated the 4 x 4 had hit a patch of hard ice which caused the vehicle to drift on to the compacted snow in the middle of the road.
The driver then tried to correct but of course was out of control by then

The video is being used by a safety group to promote the idea how dangerous using a fone is while driving

Does not take anything away from the message Mo so a good post no matter what

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have seen this before and it is very sobering. 50 tons into the side makes short work of the safety cell.

Craig

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
advanced driving

whilst serving in the army I did an advanced drivers course and snow and ice driving course.
I would advice those driving M/Hs to do the advanced course.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
And I found last winter drivers that think because they have winter tyres they dont have to worry.

Mel

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Passed advanced drivers course some years back well worth it
Last year before I changed my car I asked a rally driver about 4 wheel drive SUV,s and this is what he said front or rear wheel drive you know which end you are going to loose on ice 4 wheel drive you have NO fu**ing idea.Too many people these days think that because they have 4 wheel drive they can drive at silly speeds, if its black ice it make no difference what you drive.Read in local paper last week an article on the new BMW X5 which is supposed to be the great in bad weather !!!! Article ended by saying that the £52k vehicle had been written off on the way back to the dealer after a test drive when the driver hit a patch of black ice at 30mph !!!and went down a ravine

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
>> "Winter" is Looming....

Not oop north right now. Excellent biking weather.

Spooky really.

It's so mild up here at the moment that we still get midges coming in the back door every time we go out and in:Doh:
We're needing a good hard frost to kill the little b*ggers off. I had to get the hoover attachement out the other night to suck them all up..... December, midges!:RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Personally I value my MH/Home too much. If there is even a hint of ice on the road I won't drive...

It's not that I don't trust my driving and I do drive very defensively. I don't trust all the other pillocks.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I have winter tyres (for those into large 4x4's they're 285/75/16 Cooper STT's) on my 110. They grip! But nothing is infallible and we don't take chances with the 110 even though she's incredibly sure-footed in snow. It's the ice that'll catch you unawares every time and only good sense and awareness will keep you on the road.

We live on a hill. Our driveway slopes downward until it's level with the house, so the 110 and my Range Rover are placed accordingly when it snows. We have a RWD Mercedes as well, but that's useless even when it's frosty. Great fun on damp roads in 2nd and 3rd gear, though...

A few years ago after one large dollop of snow we decided to go out for a play in the 110. As one does. An X3 appeared outside our house, all 4 wheels spinning furiously and stationary. So it reversed and tried again. Same thing.

Now I'm sure it was on summer tyres. And it must have been hellishly embarrassing for the driver as we then casually pulled out and up the hill with no wheelspin at all. But it proved the point about tyre compound.

My 'old' (pre my current newer one) Range Rover sat on new 'winter' rated (note, not snow) Michelin Diamari tyres. Straight line grip was OK - nothing special. Lateral grip on snow was diabolical and I nearly put her in the hedge first time on snow. This despite all the complex electronics that such cars have. My 110 has excellent tyres and a good driver very familiar with the car.

The RR needed constant TC interventions and it was, in my opinion, purely down to the tyres.

But on ice? Nothing works other than very low speed and measured inputs.

It's complacency that kills.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Passed advanced drivers course some years back well worth it
Last year before I changed my car I asked a rally driver about 4 wheel drive SUV,s and this is what he said front or rear wheel drive you know which end you are going to loose on ice 4 wheel drive you have NO fu**ing idea.Too many people these days think that because they have 4 wheel drive they can drive at silly speeds, if its black ice it make no difference what you drive.Read in local paper last week an article on the new BMW X5 which is supposed to be the great in bad weather !!!! Article ended by saying that the £52k vehicle had been written off on the way back to the dealer after a test drive when the driver hit a patch of black ice at 30mph !!!and went down a ravine

You mean I'm not imortal in my freelander:Eeek:
Must be ive got winter tyres too:thumb:

Attachments

• 20131104_142736.jpg
    20131104_142736.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 8

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And I found last winter drivers that think because they have winter tyres they dont have to worry.

Mel

And 4x4 drivers "I'm in a my 4x4 I'm invincible". Not realising that 4x4 gets them going in the snow but when it comes to stopping they are in the same boat as any other car.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back