Winter in Spain ... again (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We went as far as Malaga/Fuengirola (how do you spell that?) 2 years ago, weather was good, more or less stuck to one campsite which we quite liked, and which wasn't too busy, but some were full, and didn't look too good. This was Feb/March. Later we went back to Spain but only as far as Tarragona. Campsite was again OK-ish but very tight and confined. Also, site was separated from the sea by a busy railway line. Last year we didn't go back, but heard many reports of wet weather all along that coast last year.
So the question is, are there any good quiet sites? I don't really fancy one of those sites that featured on that TV programme, everyone cheek by jowl, boozing all day. Well maybe that part's not so bad. And when is the best time to go? Portugal is cold and wet, right?

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
1. La Campiña
Ctra A-379 km 47.3, La Guijarrosa, Córdoba, 14547, Spain

2. Ribamar
Partida Ribamar sn, Alcossebre, Castellon, 12579, Spain

Check out these two sites online, they are at opposite ends of the country, but if you don't want a massive busy site, they are very good. Stock up with food etc before you get to either of them.

The facilities at La Campina are not as modern as Ribamar but very clean. The lady who owns and runs La Campina is a ruddy marvel, her name is Matilde Ridriguez and she is a font of local knowledge. She will even personally guide you around the area to visit Olive processing plants, winery's and pottery etc. The site is surrounded by Olive groves, and although its adjacent to the road its not a noisy area. And Matilde cooks a great rabbit paella.

Ribamar is excellent for walking and mountain biking, and about 150 yds walk through woods to the rocky sea shore. The approach road needs respect because its a couple of kms of unmade forest type track with potholes and ridges, but the caravan managed it ok. Excellent level gravel pitches with hedges. Very quiet, very nice.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am starting to plan a trip to Spain over the Christmas new year time and would like a warmish place and would like to see Grenada and Gibraltor, can I hope to find parking places /sites over that time. We would prefer somewhere quietish and the wife does not like company much ( including me I think) Is there a guide for site in that area I can buy, that you can recommend as worthwhile ? We aim to meander down on the old roads through France and cross into Spain in the South. returning later in January but might stay a bit longer.
What is the temperature and water like there in Winter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We woke up in Grenada to snow 1st thing, this was late Feb.

My preferred route in winter would be through the northern end of the Pyrenees, across mainland Spain. But that way you miss a lot of the the med coast. You can always go back that way in the better weather.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Come and try Javea!

Campsites are not your all singing all dancing. But its worth it for a stay in the Town.
Hey, we've got rellies in Javea. We did say we'd visit them soon!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am starting to plan a trip to Spain over the Christmas new year time and would like a warmish place and would like to see Grenada and Gibraltor, can I hope to find parking places /sites over that time. We would prefer somewhere quietish and the wife does not like company much ( including me I think) Is there a guide for site in that area I can buy, that you can recommend as worthwhile ? We aim to meander down on the old roads through France and cross into Spain in the South. returning later in January but might stay a bit longer.
What is the temperature and water like there in Winter?
Nice to see it looks like you have got the bug for foreign touring, no stopping you now.(y)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Wish we could spend winter in Spain.... :(

A few more years to wait yet....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Nice to see it looks like you have got the bug for foreign touring, no stopping you now.(y)
No I have to get rid of the prepaid Traveler tickets I bought this year, and after the first abortive attempt and the second learning trip the third might be OK. This time I will make an itinerary so Will have a better idea of what to do. Go somewhere and then look around that area not just aimlessly wander finding places .
Spain look warmer than Poland though.. I did not enjoy just driving around bu the wife will not get out of the van in a town or village just want to sit there. I want to visit maybe not take here at all on one trip, leaving here at home by the fire where she is happy.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't try to take the motorhome into Gibraltar. Stay at the Marina in La Linea. It is only a 10 minute walk to the border and then catch a bus into town.

Agree. Not a lot of point driving in, there's not many places to park and anyway you can't get to the "attractions" with a m/h.

When we went a couple of years ago, because the chairlift was closed due to high winds, we engaged the services of one of the taxi/minibuses who, for a reasonable fee, took us round all the tourist spots (they're allowed in) and with an excellent personalised commentary. If I remember it was €70 but that included all entrance fees (he no doubt got a discount!) which we later calculated to be around €40. He stayed with us all morning, eventually at our request dropping us off at a convenient spot where we could checkout the town proper on foot. Got bus back to the border.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We're heading for El Puerto de Santa Maria on the Atlantic coast for December and January... quiet and within walking distance of shops.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
We're heading for El Puerto de Santa Maria on the Atlantic coast for December and January... quiet and within walking distance of shops.
Left Puerto de Saints Maria Wednesday. If you have been before I'm sure you will have done this, but anyone visiting this area should visit
Bodegas Gutiérrez Colosía a working Bodegas a bit rough and ready but very interesting, great sherry and only 10 Euro each.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We've just come back, make sure you're topped up with gas, it's as cold as England. Some mornings were 6°c :cold:
It's 18° C at mo in Javea apparently. Bet you're glad you're back in sunny UK!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Try looking around Almeria there are some nice sites around there camping Cabo de Gata is fairly quiet with large pitches(y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
00A443B7-6659-43DB-BEB2-5863F6770DA6.jpeg
I love Cabo de Gata from my experience none of the Sites are really convenient for everything there is to see, “Cabo de Gata” Camper stop is basic but very welcoming,€12 per night, Bar Restaurant next door, Showers, Washing Machines etc. Manuel the Portuguese owner is a great guy.
An image of part of the Gold Mine area.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I forgot to mention you really do need the minimum of a Scooter to have chance of experiencing all that’s on offer and if you like eating out San Jose has a vast choice of great places.
On the approach into San Jose just past the Roundabout on the left there is a very large unmade Car Park and Parking “So Called Wild” is tolerated at quiet out of season times.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
This is all very good info. Just got to persuade the OH but no change there!! (Nudge nudge wink!) She's not keen on Spain. No trees, long distances - and I do the driving!! She just nods orf. But don't tell her I said that.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I can take the little CG125 but it takes a load of space and payload, is it really a necessity over there if just moving about and not sitting on a site. I have a satellite dish but think I may be out of the range for the size of it. it just sit on a tripod not one of those super-dooper singing dancing ones. Worth taking? , once a again takes space up. With a gasit system I do have the euro fitting set but how far between the garages to get auto gas and is it butane or propane from them?

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Try looking around Almeria there are some nice sites around there camping Cabo de Gata is fairly quiet with large pitches(y)
We’ve just spent a fantastic week at Camping Los Escullos, really attractive, well run site, ACSI rates. Loads of walks directly from the gate including, if you want a good lunch stop, La Isleta del Moro and San José. Beaches available within half an hour, and fabulous clear starry skies.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
!f your looking to overwinter in Spain, Jan-March, the best area is the Murcia region which will be the driest and as you head further south it will only get a couple of deg warmer, so not much point in that and as you move further south still, you start to hit the Atlantic ocean weather systems that bring in a lot of wet weather during this period. Whilst many people have there own preferences, one of the most popular areas to overwinter is the Benidorm area. There are some very good campsites in Benidorm and some good ones either side, a short bus or tram ride away. As you move into March you can continue to head further south and maintain fairly decent weather.
Should any of you be planning routes to Spain, you may find the following helpful.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
It's 18° C at mo in Javea apparently. Bet you're glad you're back in sunny UK!
May I ask what campsite or Aire are you on as we've just returned from Benicassim and were planning to go back to there in January for 8wks but they are fully booked so looking for somewhere else

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back