Winter holiday in the UK ... where? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've decided we'd like to have a few weeks away after Christmas but staying in the UK, so we'll need somewhere with things to do, ideally with a bit better weather than going up to the North of Scotland!

I might be able to persuade hubby to go for a break before Christmas too (I'm going stir-crazy having the new van and not using it!!!!).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Due to the cost of travelling (fuel/Eurotunnel, and dogs) etc going abroad is gonna prove too expensive me-thinks.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Mel why not think about Snowbirds trip to Morocco, think its brilliant, once you are there so reasonable you will save money, deisel 48p and sites buttons, and certainly will be just as good as a guided tour but with Snowbird helping without the fancy price tag, I'm still torn, but we do every other year UK & Abroad.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Errrr Bermuda or Gibraltar perhaps ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - towns LOL

Bath, is one that springs to my mind. Cos you can 'do' the Roman Baths, Jane Austen and all that. Then head out into rural Zummerzet and there's the Haynes Museum and an RAF one.

Think there's a fair bit to see in Harrogate isn't there?

Ironbridge Gorge, buy a passport because there are about 8 different things you can go and see and even if you dashed from one to another and didn't look properly, it's still take you longer than a day.

The Black Country Museum is also v interesting if you're into ye olden days, then into B'ham on the train, into the Jewellery Quarter and see the 'Back to Backs' (Nat Trust) and B'ham Museum & Art Gallery to see the Staffordshire Hoard and loads of Wm Morris, Burne Jones etc and plenty of other paintings. Could spend whole a day in there. There's a Science Museum in Brum too, but don't think it's called that now LOL

Depends what you are 'into' really!

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
winter in england

Hi you might like cornwall in winter down Penzance, St ives way usually warmer & much easier to get around happy travels Rod

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I think Jenny's suggestions of Bath and Harrogate are excellent. Of course, anywhere in Yorkshire (well pretty much anywhere) always makes for a pleasant time :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A few days in Bath and all your money will be gone!

Have you seen what they charge at the Marina Campsite?

And the best reason to go to Bath (to see the Bizarre Bath Comedy Walk) is not on during the winter.

JJ :Cool:

aden

Free Member
Oct 20, 2012
Canada
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Hi Corel, Morocco is not a bad idea but I think Costa Rica also a good choise. It is a quick developing Main Area places that will be developed absolutely to a tourist, experiencing the near ideal environment and offering all the hands on functions and support needed.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Canterbury Camping Club site is open all year and you can get the bus from outside into Canterbury or Sandwich, also Dover Castle open all year, Howletts wild animal park not too far from the site either. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Keep the suggestions coming! Morocco - a bit far and not sure of the situation regarding dogs either! To go abroad with them will cost us £150 minimum (ferry and return vets) so not a 'cheap' option.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually spend a bit of winter time in the New Forest. Brilliant for the dogs and very beautiful if it gets really cold and frosty. Setthorns site (now run by the C&CC) is open all year with EHU and no toilets/showers and right in the Forest a mile or so from Brockenhurst. We also like Yorkshire but I don't suppose that really appeals as thats where you're going from.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
A number of folk have mentioned Yorkshire, I'm obviously biased but the suggestion of Harrogate is a good un & with Knaresborough & York nearby I can see a mini tour emerging.
Wetherby is a nice little town & you can go off into the Yorkshire Dales or head to the Yorkshire Coast (Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay etc)via the North Yorks Moors. Its all breathtaking scenery & you'll always get a friendly welcome.
If you need retail therapy Leeds is also on your doorstep. Lastly although we are up North we are east of the Pennines so can have pretty decent dry sunny weather in the winter but along with that it can be quite cold.:thumb:
oh yes post script its good value for money!!!

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Oooops, sorry Minx didn't realise you are from East Yorks ! what a Clot I am:ROFLMAO:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You could give Shropshire a look at. We have scenery to die for and the Ironbridge Gorge museums will give you plenty to do for at least a couple of days, possibly up to a week. South of the county there is Ludlow which is a cracking little town with plenty to see and do, especially of you like food as it has more Michelin star restaurants than the city of London. South Shropshire hills (Long Mynd, Clee hills etc are a lovely place to visit if the weather is in your favour but could be a bit bleak in mid winter if the weather is rough. Shrewsbury is a pleasant town and while the centre is not motorhome friendly they do have a good park n ride service. There's plenty of other small towns in the county worth a look at, Bridgnorth, Cleobury Mortimer, Bishops Castle even Oswestry.

D.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
CC Site at Hillhead, Bus at gate to Dartmouth, Paignton and Torquay, there is a restaurant, pub, shop on site, you have to book early tho as it's very popular

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We usually spend a bit of winter time in the New Forest. Brilliant for the dogs and very beautiful if it gets really cold and frosty. Setthorns site (now run by the C&CC) is open all year with EHU and no toilets/showers and right in the Forest a mile or so from Brockenhurst.

Hi Mel
Yep I agree with Reallyretired, actually we are off tonight late ferry,for a few days , exciteable ,noisy cocker will love it. But they are fully booked for w/end due to school hols.
Terry:sin:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Can I suggest that you don't plan but check out the weather a couple of days before travelling. The met office site will give you an accurate forecast for 2 days in advance and a good indication for what is coming for the week ahead. Then choose which direction you go depending on where the best weather is most likely to be. You should be able to find a site or a CL quite easily in January. The added bonus is that you might go somewhere that you would never have thought of. :thumb:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Cornwall would be my bet as it is likely to be milder.

Camping Caradon at Polperro and Padstow Touring Park are open all year.

Lunarman

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
new year rally

The Motorhome Club, hold a christmas/new year rally every year at Springwood Park in Kelso.
Usually a great time had by all, meal on hogmany, games,entertainment.6 amp leccy to keep things ticking over.
We are going, it will be our third time. Won £170 on the bingo on our visit !! braw.::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You could give Shropshire a look at. We have scenery to die for and the Ironbridge Gorge museums will give you plenty to do for at least a couple of days, possibly up to a week. South of the county there is Ludlow which is a cracking little town with plenty to see and do, especially of you like food as it has more Michelin star restaurants than the city of London. South Shropshire hills (Long Mynd, Clee hills etc are a lovely place to visit if the weather is in your favour but could be a bit bleak in mid winter if the weather is rough. Shrewsbury is a pleasant town and while the centre is not motorhome friendly they do have a good park n ride service. There's plenty of other small towns in the county worth a look at, Bridgnorth, Cleobury Mortimer, Bishops Castle even Oswestry.

D.

I agree with Dave on this one ! If you are a member of the CC&C club check out the Oswestry site (Cranberrymoss) midway between Oswestry and Shrewsbury ! Excellent bus service to both if you have bus passes ! Free wi fi on site as well ! I stay there frequently! And the wrinkly discount makes it affordable for long term !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
Brave the bitter East Anglian winds and stay near Norwich - lots to explore there and the Thursford Collection is brilliant fun

The bird life on the coast - either on the Wash or on the East Coast - is amazing. Cosy it isn't, and its quite bleak at times but its a wonderful area to explore
anna x

Escargots4me

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
SW England
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2009
Have yourself a little Tour! We often go away in our Camper at Xmas, book a nice place for lunch and walk off the lunch with the dog - less stress than cooking a family lunch. France won't be an option if the dogs don't have passports unless you've time to get them covered for Rabies (c. 6 weeks), and then don't intend coming back for 6 months!:Smile:

I would probably head south from Yorkshire, as the weather can be better in the SW, but not always!

There are sites in Devon and Cornwall which are open all year. Tavistock C & C site open all year, with good places to eat in the town. Some MHer's take a chance and park up overnight on Dartmoor. It's not approved, but mid-winter you might not get moved on. Some Hostels allow MH's to park up and use their facilities for a 'camping fee'. Some great walking along the coast and during the winter Dogs are allowed on most of the beaches. Good cycling along old railways (Granite Way, Route 27 and Camel Trail). Parking place in Tintagel...

Hope you have a good time!

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Just a note - the rules have changed, as long as the dog is chipped first, the rabies shot only needs to be given 21 days before you return to UK. No 6 weeks before or 6 months after!!!

Look at the DEFRA site!!

France won't be an option if the dogs don't have passports unless you've time to get them covered for Rabies (c. 6 weeks), and then don't intend coming back for 6 months!:Smile:

!

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Winter Holidays

I think Jenny's suggestions of Bath and Harrogate are excellent. Of course, anywhere in Yorkshire (well pretty much anywhere) always makes for a pleasant time :Smile:

East Hull in Winter: Sheer delight (Not):Smile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back