Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Hi I am a newbie and I’m after advice on how do I drain the water system for winter time I have a ford Chausson flash 02
Year 58 plate
Any other tips on this model appreciated

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya: If you join up and subscribe, you can download a document from the resources section

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Open all the taps and switch the pump on and leave it till no water comes out. Use the frost protection to drain down the boiler. Make sure both grey waste and water taps are open - go for a short drive to make sure the tanks are empty.

As long as you get all the water out of the systems you should be ok.

If you do decide to join and as a newly converted to motorhomes, I would strongly recommend it.

Download the above post link.

Welcome to the MotorhomeFun.

:hiya2:

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We motorhome in the winter, it’s lovely that time of year!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Thanks I’m just unsure if I need to open any taps under seats regarding water tank and hot water tank to drain the system all I know is to empty tanks underneath at moment

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks I’m just unsure if I need to open any taps under seats regarding water tank and hot water tank to drain the system all I know is to empty tanks underneath at moment

You need to open any taps which drain water out of the van but you also need to push the water out of the pipe/taps as well. To do that you will need the boiler drain closed as it will be situated after the water pump. If the drain for the boiler is open it will just push air out of the drain and not along the pipe lines to the hot taps.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Normally, by the water heater there is a drain tap with a yellow lever. You need to open this lever by 90 ° to drain the boiler approximately 10 litres, after it’s all finished coming out of the taps. Open both hot and cold taps if separate, or if mixer, leave in halfway position. Leave taps open while winterised.
EF7D71FE-2FC1-4E9B-93AA-21E530E2198E.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Ok I know where that is located lol also once I drain that
When I want to fill it back up does it simply fill up from where I connect water hose on outside of MHome thanks

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Ok I know where that is located lol also once I drain that
When I want to fill it back up does it simply fill up from where I connect water hose on outside of MHome thanks

Yes - the water pump will draw water from the tank and fill the boiler and pipework to the taps. But you need to close it to push the water from the pipework and taps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Sorry if this sounds silly lol so I open water taps in shower groom and sink then switch water pump on to drain system and that will drain water heater tank also
I have found a large red drain tape under the bed I’m not sure if this goes to the big 110 litre tank under the table seats thanks for your help all so far

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry if this sounds silly lol so I open water taps in shower groom and sink then switch water pump on to drain system and that will drain water heater tank also
I have found a large red drain tape under the bed I’m not sure if this goes to the big 110 litre tank under the table seats thanks for your help all so far

Yes just run your taps till they stop. If your taps have microswitches you'll need to turn your 12v master switch off to leave the taps open. But broken taps are common when it gets very cold so it's worth doing.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always take the shower head off and blow down the hose. I don't know if it helps but must clear something. You nedd to drain ot down even if just leaving it for a few days in winter unless you have heating on. Difficult if in storage.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Empty fresh water tank first either by a "bath plug" in the bottom or a tap on the outside..
Pull up yellow lever near boiler to empty that. (you will see it drain under the van)
Once empty, With power turned on, open EVERY tap in the van, shower, bathroom sink and kitchen, maybe outside shower point in the garage too.
Once these stop spurting water, turn off the electrical power but leave the taps open..
Now go outside and open grey waste tank outlet and leave open..
Done!

In spring, open up the van, close all the taps (don't forget the one near the boiler ;) ) , switch the power on, put all the plugs in.
add a few spoonfuls of Puri clean to the fresh water tank, Fill up with fresh water to the top,
Open the hot tap and wait for the tap to stop sneezing. close the hot tap (boiler is now full)
Open each of the other taps (hot and cold) until you have just water coming out without any air bubbles. Close all taps, then leave it to sit like this for anything from 2 hrs to 24 hrs to allow the puri clean to do it's work..
Once done drain all the water again and flush fresh water through each tap on both hot and cold setting for a short while.
Fill tank with fresh water..
Finally, close grey waste tank tap
DONE, you are ready for 2020 season:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Two more points not mentioned so far. For mixer taps, blow water out of both the hot and cold paths, then set the tap to open in the centre position (hot and cold). Any residual water in the tap can then expand as it freezes, without splitting the tap.

Don't forget the toilet water feed. Press the flush button until no more water flows out. It's a pain to replace the water solenoid and nozzle if they get cracked by freezing water.

To be 100% sure, you could do what the pool guys do for outdoor pools. Tee in a Schrader valve into the pipe from the tank, and connect a compressor to positively blow all the water out. A tiny compressor as used to inflate tyres is quite good enough.

Upvote 0

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
We motorhome in the winter, it’s lovely that time of year!

Hi I intend to use my van all year in the UK so interested in your advice.

I’ve a 2003 AutoSleeper Symbol purchased a year ago. Last winter didn’t drain anything off and lived in it as normal with fingers crossed. Survived fine except in the Spring has a split water boiler. Considering the boiler dated from 1994 I’d like to think it was just age and not me pushing my luck.

Just now fitting a new Propex water heater and love hot showers in the winter.

I’ve removed the partition that separated the water heater from the space heater out of necessity to fit the larger boiler but hoping the room heater will now pass some residual heat to the water heater and associated pipe work in cold weather.

Anyway do I need to drain regardless in very cold weather or can I have my hot showers back again or is it safe if I’m using the van?

Advice please.

Rob

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi I intend to use my van all year in the UK so interested in your advice.

I’ve a 2003 AutoSleeper Symbol purchased a year ago. Last winter didn’t drain anything off and lived in it as normal with fingers crossed. Survived fine except in the Spring has a split water boiler. Considering the boiler dated from 1994 I’d like to think it was just age and not me pushing my luck.

Just now fitting a new Propex water heater and love hot showers in the winter.

I’ve removed the partition that separated the water heater from the space heater out of necessity to fit the larger boiler but hoping the room heater will now pass some residual heat to the water heater and associated pipe work in cold weather.

Anyway do I need to drain regardless in very cold weather or can I have my hot showers back again or is it safe if I’m using the van?

Advice please.

Rob
it depends how your van is built if there are tanks and pipes outside your chancing it but if your using the van keep the heating on a low setting

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you are using the MH right through the winter, you need to properly winterise it. This is a whole subject in itself, and British MHs are notoriously underprepared for winter use. This is largely because they are mostly stored, drained, over the winter. Those who take the MH to ski resorts have greater expertise in this. Winterised MHs have double floors, with the underfloor heated to stop pipes freezing, for example. Because of energy limitations, you can't just lag the pipes and wind antifreeze heater cable round them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Hi all thanks for help I can see the yellow tap by the 10litre heatertank so I open this up and then the taps to the middle setting do I also need then to drain the 80 litre fresh water tank under the front seat if so how do I do it my Motorhome is a Chausson flash 02 58 registration would it be from underside of van on outside ?
I have also found red isolation lever close by heater tank towards fresh water tank I’m not sure what this is for ??

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Not sure of that particular van but if under the front seat, on the top of the tank is a big cap/lid, unscrew it and pull on the chain, this will pull the plug out of the bottom of the tank and it will drain.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Hi Andy I just pulled bed up to look at pipes ect and I can see this red tap I turned it and water does dump underneath the van so I think this may be my fresh water tank drain does this look right Andy
C9D95947-3F4F-427D-AC17-67226A783F9E.jpeg

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I guess if it's fresh water and doesn't smell like a tramps knickers then it must be. (not my van so can only guess) if the level in the fresh water tank goes down when this tap is opened I'd say yes :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dazz

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Yeah I’ll check the tank when I open that tap up problem I have to check it at moment the last owner screwed the wood base down above it so I did not remove it to look but next time I’ll unscrew the wood and check it out

Upvote 0

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
Rather than draining the fresh water tank directly I initially run it all through a tap into the grey water tank which give this tank a rinse before winter. Once fresh water tank is empty open all valves and do not forget to turn off the pump. A pump running dry will not last long

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back