Winter Battery Charging Problem! (2 Viewers)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi we keep our MH in a secure storage site away from home. Unfortunately there is no EHU possibility there and in this continual poor weather the solar panels are obviously ineffective in keeping the Leisure batteries charged. Like others have I'm sure, they are located under the front seats and are quite awkward to remove as the seats and swivel plates require to be removed first.

My question then is this;- Are there any gizmos available on the market which can be charged at home then taken to the MH and recharge the Leisure batteries from it?
Thanks again
Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is exactly what I thought however both Leisure batteries failed totally recently with the engine being run for an hour every two weeks.
Hope you were driving it, good way to wreck a diesel engine starting from cold and leaving ticking over, also wrecks the CAT.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hope you were driving it, good way to wreck a diesel engine starting from cold and leaving ticking over, also wrecks the CAT.
How come "white van man" can run his diesel engine on tick over for hours without problem? When I works as a signalman for network rail the maintenance lads would run the van on tickover for hours on end without problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How come "white van man" can run his diesel engine on tick over for hours without problem? When I works as a signalman for network rail the maintenance lads would run the van on tickover for hours on end without problem.
I did say from Cold & white van man couldn't care a toss about the engine he ain't paying for the repairs, your network rail vans probably didn't have CATS.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you need it checking by a decent auto electrician, Ian, I can recommend Auto Electrics (Teesside) at Thornaby (near Victoria Bridge).
Thank you I get the MH back from Marquis tomorrow complete with 3 new batteries and hopefully I'll take up that idea soon after
Thanks again
Ian

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive not come across a van that doesnt charge leisure batteries from the alternator when running marquis may have proved this isnt happening but have they proved that is correct? I would speak to manufacturers or look for an owners club for info

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
surprised your solar isn't doing the job, last van had 1x80w solar panel 2 leisure batteries and a tracker, solar kept all batteries topped up even when it snowed, i'd make sure system is set up and working properly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
surprised your solar isn't doing the job, last van had 1x80w solar panel 2 leisure batteries and a tracker, solar kept all batteries topped up even when it snowed, i'd make sure system is set up and working properly.
Part of the problem,which will be eliminated tomorrow is that the MH had batteries of unknown age and quality. The solar panels fitted previously kept the batteries fully charged. We have had the MH only since June and clearly this is our first winter and the first time the MH has remained unused for about 2 months now.The solar system did perform really well but there are/were so many system unknowns and erroneous advice from Marquis,

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have an 80W panel and a single leisure battery plus the starter. All that "runs" when the van is on the drive are the alarm and tracker. Everything is set up and working properly but, as mentioned earlier, most of the year it is fine but the position means the panel doesn't get enough sun in December/January.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I'm of the belief that although the alternator may well charge the leisure battery once the vehicle battery is satisfied the alternator will revert to trickle charge and therefore take a long time to recharge a flat leisure battery.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I'm of the belief that although the alternator may well charge the leisure battery once the vehicle battery is satisfied the alternator will revert to trickle charge and therefore take a long time to recharge a flat leisure battery.
You are correct.

Upvote 0

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
130 watt solar panel and 20 amp regulator from Ebay. No more than £200. Our panel is now 9 years old been on 2 vans and still keeps leisure batts and starter bat charged. Easy job fitting it up if you have a bit of know how you only get ripped off if you use a dealer for it all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just a quick update--We picked up our MH from Marquis at Birtley,Durham today complete with 3 new batteries and a reassurance that all the electrical issues are now resolved.The electrical problems started on the 1st June 15 the day we first bought the MH. We stayed locally at the CC site at Durham Grange just in case there were any problems. The only problem back then was a defective toilet cassette indicator system. It's been back now on 7 occasions to get this defect resolved and today we were told everything had been thoroughly tested and all possible problems with the Leisure system rectified. Great news!!

Being a cynical old git we decided today to go back to Durham Grange CC site just in case this news was misguided and lo and behold the toilet system instead of defective is now totally malfunctioning!

Is patience really a virtue?

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the toilet system instead of defective is now totally malfunctioning!
Just had a thought. If the electric flush isn't working it could be the fuse. I think (not certain) that, on ours, it is located somewhere underneath the holding tank.

Upvote 0

Steve826

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kingsmere 590/RL
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
Not sure if this is the best thread to put this on, but here goes.
I have similar problems to those mentioned here as I have sorned my Swift Kingsmere 590RL year 2000 on a large compound for the winter. I'm hoping I don't need to remove my underseat leisure battery.

I understand from the manual that if I run the engine and the vehicles battery is charged it will put very little charge in the leisure battery but if the vehicle battery is nearly flat both batteries will be charged.

Does anyone know if its possible to put the lights and heater etc on to improve the leisure battery charging?

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
I have similar problems to those mentioned here as I have sorned my Swift Kingsmere 590RL year 2000 on a large compound for the winter. I'm hoping I don't need to remove my underseat leisure battery.

I understand from the manual that if I run the engine and the vehicles battery is charged it will put very little charge in the leisure battery but if the vehicle battery is nearly flat both batteries will be charged.

Does anyone know if its possible to put the lights and heater etc on to improve the leisure battery charging?

I would start a new thread.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back