Winter awning recommendation please (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Hi

We have an Vango Airbeam awning for our Adria Low Profile van. Attaches to the Fiamma 45s roll out awning.

I have been trawling the search function and internet for a winter awning to put up instead later in the year. I am fairly sure the Airbeam would not stand up to the snow and high winds we can get at our (UK) permanent site

Isabella do a winter awning for caravans but I can't see one for motorhomes. Globu have been mentioned but they seem to now not be available.

Would the Privacy Room really be robust enough as in https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/awning-privacy-room-and-winter.161771/

Ideally I would like a driveaway for the opportunity to move the m/h off some weekends but whatever we need a robust awning with just enough room to give some shelter to the door and somewhere to get wet gear off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not drive away but the "safari rooms" are very robust. They are almost worthless second hand so won't cost too much to try one.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Have used a drive away one for a good few years but has now got a bit tatty so have bought a privacy room for our Fiamma F65S awning. The drive away one got moved about quite a bit in the wind and as we are parked up for 6 months decided to use something that hopefully will be a bit more sturdy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
As shown on the Fiamma site. I guess that rules out using the F45s roof

Q - Is the Privacy Room a tent awning?
A - No, the Privacy Room is not a tent and it needs to be mounted on an awning. The Privacy Room offers you extra space and also the possibility to sleep in it when the weather is nice. Please note that the Privacy Room is not a permanent tent and needs to be close in case of storm and wind.

Q - Can the Privacy Room be used in Winter when snowing?
A - No, it is certainly not suitable. Even a thin layer of snow causes a heavy weight on the awning. This can lead to serious damage.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As shown on the Fiamma site. I guess that rules out using the F45s roof

Q - Is the Privacy Room a tent awning?
A - No, the Privacy Room is not a tent and it needs to be mounted on an awning. The Privacy Room offers you extra space and also the possibility to sleep in it when the weather is nice. Please note that the Privacy Room is not a permanent tent and needs to be close in case of storm and wind.

Q - Can the Privacy Room be used in Winter when snowing?
A - No, it is certainly not suitable. Even a thin layer of snow causes a heavy weight on the awning. This can lead to serious damage.
The Fiamma website also gives details of the optional extras that can be used for when it’s windy. Once erected and all the extra bits are in place it will be okay for a Spanish Winter.

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look at the Inaca range. A Spanish company but sold in UK. Solid construction, we have one and are very pleased with it.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks for that.

We went to the Motorhome Show at Malvern and no manufacturer would recommend a winter awning for a m/h. They said the Fiamma awning rail was probably not strong enough to support any type of snow load. (??) I can see their reasoning but it cannot be beyond the wit of man to make an awning strongly supported by poles close to the van in that the short tunnel bit only connects the awning to the van without much snow load.

We want to leave it erected over the winter without panicking about going there when a snowfall occurs.

On the Chellenger the local dealer would not approve it for winter use if you are not able to visit in case of snow load.

The search is still on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We bought a old small frame tent to use when we helped out on a campsite and that worked well, pitched close the the Motorhome.
8B428791-09A4-4BA6-87CB-72A12A162533.jpeg

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks, an option.

But I really would like something that covered the hab door and that gives us somewhere to kick boots off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back