Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
our's is a 1993 c class winniebago (minnie winnie) 28 foot when we bought it about 2 years ago it was all complete and running but tired looking,
in the first year we had the yank elecs converted to uk,
we have had a full respray,and new decal stripes to my design not typical winnebago ones,
a set of dually wheel simulators,a rear dirt skirt,
inside has been completely reupholstered including window pelmets,and curtains,
we have had a new fridge fitted by me supplied by Stateside,
the Ford 460 petrol engine is running like a dream now since a full service performed by yours truly
which has also been converted to lpg

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How do you find the LPG? I know that if I am going to keep my RV I need to get a conversion, but I just love my 8.1 Vortec, it sounds great and pulls like an intercity train. I'm not saying I wouldn't swop it for a nice Cummins or Cat, but I do like it, even though the MPG is dismal. I know the LPG hits you in the wallet but is there a performance hit with the LPG?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
In fairness Jim I have to say that we never noticed a performance dip when on LPG. I thought it was fab! but wouldn't swop it for my Cat!

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Jim
Its a must as far i can see theres a slight drop in pulling power on steeper hills but of no great concern other than that it goes like the wind
it cost me 1600 quid at Autogas Northwest for the job done
with 2 x 300 litre tanks slung under the back end between the chassis rails
went down to Norfolk couple of weeks ago round trip 70 quid

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Tony,

I'm going now your making me jealous, I can't get to the end of the M6 on £70.00 :eek:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
done with 2 x 300 litre tanks slung under the back end between the chassis rails

:whatthe: 2 x 300 litre tanks? How on earth did you fit them? Having said that. The Winnie does have quite a big space under there. :winky:

:blush: My old Coachmen only had 2 x 110 litre tanks. Slung ABOVE the chassis rails at the rear.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am having he Jeep converted to LPG next week. 15K a year minimum will get my money back in the first year

With the RV i would need to keep it 2 plus years before i benefit (Will I keep it that long?:wub:)

A good guide to see your saving Link Removed

I have been quoted £2000 to £2500 by 4 companies for the RV with the newest stystem:winky:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi John thats a super little calculator on that link thanks.:Smile:

Olley

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
sorry

I have to apologise to everyone for giving out duff info

its actualy 2 x 150 tanks =300 in total :blush::blush:

for those who are debating the benefits of lpg it can only help your resale value

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
for those who are debating the benefits of lpg it can only help your resale value

:Cool: I totally agree. Just as a point of interest? On the 1988 Coachmen Classic 32ft, Chevrolet P30, 454 7400cc, which was always vastly overloaded with Airbags sagging even with 90psi all round. We used to get 8 to 9 mpg on Petrol and 7 to 8mpg on LPG. :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi John thats a super little calculator on that link thanks.:Smile:

Olley

Do you think that calculator is right Olley, it calculated that i would save a £1000 year even if I was only doing 5000miles a year. (based on 8mg)

If that's right I might make a return quicker that I thought

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Guys,

My thoughts on lpg are well known, I personally think it is a waste of money to convert an RV unless you are going to keep it for a long time and do a lot of miles. As this is against the normal use of a MH let alone an RV it seems a lot of money down the drain to me.

With regards to resale value, I never saw any difference in sales prices when looking for my RV. Perhaps it just gives you an additional item to mention in the ad but no more than that.

There is of course the feel good factor of costing less to drive those few miles and that of course if worth a great deal of money.

I have also heard that the V10 engine does not have a good lpg conversion, even being told to not go down the route of converting it! But that is only hearsay and if you have a V10 would urge you to check it out for yourself. Not exactly sure, but something to do with having to use two kits and mate them together and the inevitable problems that would ensue from that.

I have just checked the Devon Gas Power calculator and it is correct and gives almost identical information to my Excel spreadsheet that I published on other forums:

www.swi.org.uk

Scroll down to the bottom of the web site and click on LPG Spreadsheet.

Regards

Chris

F

fordy

Deleted User
But think of the environmental saving LPG is a hole lot cleaner than petrol and better for your engine less servicing cheaper and you fill good when filling up.

FORDY:roflmto:

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
it works for me in every way
i calculated the money i'm saving on trips will soon outway the cost of fitting
not to mention service cost
then there is the environment :Smile::Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Shelling out 2k to fit it really hurts.

But when I fill up i feel sick because no longer have any income (spending my pension years to early)

Now my heart tell me to keep my baby years as she a nice outfit but the green eyed monster in me say it wont happen and I'll change for a slide out.

Do I feel I will get more for it converted NO!

My jeep gone in today to be done but my minimum mileage in that is 15K per annum and it does around 15 to 17mpg.

Have I kept any cars for more than a year? up till now rarely (but never been so hard up:wub:)

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
:Cool: Perhaps if you are happy with your LPG installation? You could mention WHO, WHERE, HOW MUCH? In the Tech/Mech Section? :winky:
John(JSW)
not a problem in fact i'll do here and the tech/mech section
Autogas Northwest (Runcorn) £1600
BTW mine is a Ford 460 e350 V8 i believe these work out cheaper

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Smile: THAT is a VERY GOOD price Tony. It pays to spread the word about good value for money converters and not Rip-Off merchants. :winky:

:Cool: BTW. You also need to mention the size and quantity of LPG tanks fitted? :winky:

Pete & Kath Davies

Free Member
Feb 27, 2008
Wherever our R.V. is
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Five Years
our's is a 1993 c class winniebago (minnie winnie) 28 foot when we bought it about 2 years ago it was all complete and running but tired looking,
in the first year we had the yank elecs converted to uk,
we have had a full respray,and new decal stripes to my design not typical winnebago ones,
a set of dually wheel simulators,a rear dirt skirt,
inside has been completely reupholstered including window pelmets,and curtains,
we have had a new fridge fitted by me supplied by Stateside,
the Ford 460 petrol engine is running like a dream now since a full service performed by yours truly
which has also been converted to lpg

:Smile:Hi there we have a Winniebago 29' Itasca Spirit with 2 slides and all the usual bells and whistles. Bought it five weeks ago in Florida at about 50% of the UK price. It's based on a Ford E450 Triton 6.8ltr 310bhp V10 and drives very well. We are now in Alabama on the Gulf Coast and will be moving to Mississippi on Saturday. Where did you get your electrics converted and how much? We are not sure whether to convert or to go down the ransformer road as lots do.

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Pete & Kath
Wow that took me by suprise being an old post :roflmto:
Electrics were converted by CHASE RV ELECTRICS LTD (Gary Burton) 07831 233435 cost was £1348 inc vat converted to 240v but still leaving the 110v option but that included some remedial work to some faults on the rear running lights and fitting an antenna socket to the bedroom also a towbar light socket
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the previous owner got Chase to converted ours, been impressed with the quality of his work as I have come across it fitting my toys.::bigsmile:

Olley

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
ours is converted to gas too but strugled to place tanks eventually got one under and a doughnut tank inside behind the swivel chair gives us abot 200 mile on gas not too bad we only got the 5.7 block in ours as its only a 21-22 footer we put an omnistor on the side since and a carrier for my 250 trail bike handy when stoped dont loose a lot of power on gas either our fridge started smelling of amonia so dont use it now so is it easy enuf to change the fridge or big job :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
With the sequential system my bus runs beautifully and doubt I lose any power.

40p a litre + vat @ Countrywide farmers or 53.9p at Morrison's.

Do the figure yourself:winky:

BTW:- I have 3 x 100 litre tanks.

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
lpg

i have 2x110 tanks under rear of my hurricane,lpg is fantastic fitted new by ango american in wales no problems what so ever.filling up at 46p in derbys mine does 9mpg with car on the back [a frame].money wise massive savings,give them a call they are great blokes.muz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back