Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
OK this might ruffle a few feathers!

I would like to ask this question and get both personal opinions and any factual evidence that may be available.

Is Winnebago better than Damon?

I have heard this said but do not know.

Looking forward to your polite answers!

Chris

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is Fun, you will always get polite answers::bigsmile:

The Winnies that I have looked at all seem to be well built, if not a bit too Laura Ashley for my taste. The Siteseers is generally in the same price bracket as the under 7.5t Damons and seem very similar in quality. Maybe because they are building to weight. Some 10+ton Damons I have seen have a superb build quality and the same can be said of the big Winnies. As I understand it Winnies build all of the furniture themselves, that must be a good thing.

A hard one to answer as they both make so many different models.

Are you having to choose between two models?

If you buy a Winnie from Dudleys, I hope they show your more courtesy than they showed me when they ignored my calls and emails:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,

Whilst on site over the last few days I was surrounded by Damon Daybreaks and have been offered a few month old 3272 that has been imported by the owner who does not know if he wants to keep it.

The dealer sells these for about £85k give or take. I can have this one for what it cost to import, £61k if they decide not to keep it.

To be honest the layout with twin sofas and super slide I found incredible. When you look at importing the cost looks about right and other owners who also brought theirs in agreed.

I am nowhere near deciding what I want to do, but was very interested in my conversation with the owner at Dudleys.

I have no idea if I can persuade or want to persuade Claire as we had agreed to use the Winnie this year as much as possible and then decide. We have also been looking at B+ or C class.

My interest in putting this question was to get an overview from users of both products. I have asked the same question on another forum! There is a very informed answer that is worth a read. Of course as ever these are personal opinions but as mentioned that is what I am after.

After all Dudleys did have a very biased but perhaps truthful opinion!

Regards

Chris

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If your looking for the deal of the century look what Linda (Stateside) has for sale

Link Removed

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Road Runner,

I know what Linda has and indeed it may need me to have another look!

Regards

Chris

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi John £54,050 with the Vat. still a good price.

Olley

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Having looked at the Pursuit very closely over a couple of weekends, IMO it is a superb van and more than competitively priced!

And why didn't I buy it as I seem to be a fan?

I bought the Landau that was there!

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Chris
I have owned a Damon Intruder and a Winnie Cheifton, the Winnie is far better built every part is bar coded and kept at there place for at least 10 years , the only problem with the Winnie 8ft 4" wide body plus mirrors and bits which stick out that make it a bit tight in the toll booths, we swoped our winnie for a Coachman concord twin slide 7ft 8" wide and its like driving a big car and the twin slides make up the space when you camp up
Paul

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi G2EWS

I've had a Damon 3270 with the twin sofa layout for 18 months and touch wood apart from a few minor niggles it has'nt missed a beat in 12500 miles.

When we first looked for an RV I wanted a Winnie, must say I like the build quality which is probably slightly better on the smaller models although there's not a lot in it and Jan found the interiors a bit grim. Winnie I believe build their on sofas, chairs and dinettes but all the appliances are very similar on most models.

We opted for the Damon for a couple of reasons.
Dudleys treated us like idiots, were'nt interested in what we wanted just tried to sell us what they had none of which was presented decently.
The Damon layout with 2 sofas is second to none in my opinion & it had a front end diesel which was virtually impossible to find on the Winnie.
Also the storage on the 3270 with that huge locker at the rear is massive and because it had 1 slide its a north south bed which we preferred.

It is entry level but then most of the Rvs in the UK at this weight are and having just come back from the states believe me for the same money you'd be amazed what you could buy with a bit of hard bartering.

I still like the Winnie & would like a Journey with a Cummins but thats a huge step up in price and quality especially at UK prices.

I can honestly say I have no regrets whatsoever about buying my Damon and would not hesitate in buying another or reccomending it to a friend.

Hope this helps if you need any info feel free to me.

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Chris
I have owned a Damon Intruder and a Winnie Cheifton, the Winnie is far better built every part is bar coded and kept at there place for at least 10 years , the only problem with the Winnie 8ft 4" wide body plus mirrors and bits which stick out that make it a bit tight in the toll booths, we swoped our winnie for a Coachman concord twin slide 7ft 8" wide and its like driving a big car and the twin slides make up the space when you camp up
Paul

Hi Paul,

So what about Dazzers Concord? Think it is worth it?

Chris

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Im still selling the Concord.............if your interested:Blush:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi g2ews

we were pitched next to the 3272 you are admiring. i believe it was one of the last to leave the production line (model temporarily dropped, but will re-appear 3 feet longer soon) and equipped with all possible extras. a fabulous opportunity. we have used ours for about 350 nights in the past 2 years, and have had no problems (touching wood here). totally agree with others re twin sofas. great floorplan for easy living.

des

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Des,

Was it you I was speaking with before Ray? turned up?

Sorry we never got the chance to talk more.

Still not sure what to do, but good to hear from others as well.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dazzer,

Still possible, we have nowhere near made our minds up what to do. I can really see the benefit of yours. It would please Claire LOTS if I went down that route.

Would really like to see it but you are long way from us in Devizes. Are you going to be any nearer soon?

Regards

Chris

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Paul,

So what about Dazzers Concord? Think it is worth it?

Chris

The Concords a nice motorhome if its a Diesel with a full leather interior its well worth a look, mines well built lots of goodies Drives well I tow a car and theres no lack in power, Dazzers could be nicer then mine because it as 3 slides but only buy a diesel or you will have trouble selling it on when the time comes been there and they offer you about 10 grand less plus when you go abroard diesels cost less l
Paul

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I can email you over a load of pics of it if you want:winky:. Mine has the full leather interior and is petrol. The petrol v diesel thing is a personal choice i cant see any advantage to either as they both have pros and cons. I doubt we will get away in it this year (thats why im selling it :cry:) but if your up this way drop me a line and you can come and have a shufftee at it.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back