Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Following a link on the "Dark side", i found this........

Link Removed

I've often wondered about the possiblity of an RV on a Jap chassis.
More power per CC ? ( the chevvy is after all a very old design).
Better MPG ?
More spares/service availability?
Wonder what it would cost to self import from Australia?

Just a thought

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
I'd be very interested in an RV on Jap running gear. As you say, Zaskar, all these RV lumps we're running are nowhere near as fuel efficient as Jap engines.

And if my experience with Japanese motorbikes is anything to go by, they'll be beautifully engineered, with top notch quality control, and excellent reliability.

Having said all that, I was most surprised to see the power on the RV you posted is only 110kW (about 156 hp?) from a 5.2litre turbo diesel. Admittedly the torque looks good, but surely some Ducato engines are approaching that power from half the displacement?

But yes, bring on American-type bodies on Jap running gear, soon. An opportunity for a British coachbuilder?

Bruce

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I thought I'd follow this up and sent the following to Winnebago Australia and also to thier newest dealership in Sydney.
So far, no response
Wonder why?

Dear Sir/Madam,
This E-Mail is to ask you wether or not Winnebago Australia, via it's dealer network, has considered the possibilities of exports to the United Kingdom?
I, along with my wife, am a fulltimer in a 33ft Georgieboy Landau American RV based in the United Kingdom. I am currently looking around the dealerships here with a view to replacing my 1999 unit for a new, or newer, unit.
Currently, all the RV's in the UK come from the USA and the main downfalls of this are left hand drive and 110volt electrics. I see from the Winnebago Australia web site that right hand drive chassis are used and 240volt internal electrics which would obviously be far more suitable for the UK market.
I actually came upon the Winnebago Australia web site by accident and it came as some surprise that Winnebago's were built in Australia as well as USA. When I questioned my local dealership about this and asked why everybody in the UK was importing left handers from the USA as opposed to right handers from Australia, I was told a strange story!
The story was that RV's were being produced in Australia for thier own domestic market and, for the first few years at least, illegally branded as Winnebago. This eventually came to the attention of Winnebago USA and after some court room dealings, a compromise was reached wherebye, the company in Australia using the name Winnebago, could continue to do so PROVIDING they only built for thier own domestic market and did not try to export out of Australia.
Is this true? Would this supposed ruling stop somebody like myself taking part in a personal import to ther UK, as so many do from the USA to the UK? Would the shipping costs be prohibitive?
Please be assured that I have no wish what so ever to cause trouble for anybody in either USA, Australia or the UK, but I am sure you will understand my excitement at finding these wonderfull vehicles produced in right hand drive form and my not understanding why on earth we have to put up with the wheel on the wrong side when you guys have the answer over there.
I very much look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: There has been several similar Motorhomes on ebay this year. Nearly bought one last January. But got no replies from the advertiser so bought the Dethleffs. :Sad:

BTW. Winnebago as mentioned on another thread do the Mercedes based RV's. :winky:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
As a further to.........
over the weekend, I recieved a reply from the Administrator of an Australian motorhome Forum called RV Swagman.

The coaches look nice but the thing that puts me off (apart from the price!) is that the lounge area in ALL models looks a lot smaller than my current Landau.

Hi Paul,
Very interesting story. I'll do so research and get back to you. I was always of the understanding that Winnebago was first an Australian Company. Failing the Winnebago import have you considered another Australian Motorhome that is very popular and I believe exported to the world, Swagman Motorhomes.

Here's a link to their website http://www.swagman.com.au/

Cheers
Merv Harvey
webmaster

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back