LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2017
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Mooveo P6
Exp
Since 2017
Ok so I’ve only had my own motorhome for a couple of months, but in 17yrs of driving large vehicles I’ve never clashed with so many wing mirrors!
Is this common in the MH world or am I just very unlucky? (Same spot twice!)

Just wondered if the 4x4 community have it in for us?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check what size mirrors you have got fitted as some MHs have long arm ones where they really should only have medium length ones ... or just be more careful. :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Always keep your cab window down so you can stick your hand out and flip the mirror in when you see another van coming the other way if it's a bit narrow. Unless your RHD and in France of course ....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Strange, I`ve had R-V`s, LHD, and now a RHD Rapido. In all the time (since the 90`s) I never had a wing mirror "clash" until just recent on a "b" road near Banbury. Young man in a Transit, "Clipped" the mirror, and it flipped in. I stopped and was resetting it when he turned up. He was very polite, asked if we where OK? and apologised!. I told him I had the Mirror guards on and that they had saved the Mirror, and more important the Turn Repeater.

I have the Genuine ORIGINAL mirror guards, they came with the Vehicle. But I reckon they work!.

"lost" a couple of Truck mirrors though, Once to an oversize load, and the other to an 8 wheel Tipper.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I've added a funster sticker to my offside mirror (need to get another for nearside before crossing the chanel) the bright colouring makes them more visible to oncoming drivers.(y)

Wyn

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Never a problem in the car, but it got to the point where I was routinely carrying spare wing mirror glass in the last MH.

The bane of my life was the High Street through Bala, with its quaint local tradition of poor diagonal parking.

Truth be told, virtually everything that stuck out of our last MH had to be replaced at some point, usually after brushes with foliage. The flue chimney, the heater vent cover, and those stupid square top light units. I replaced those with the more streamlined variety. Even the EHU socket cover could be seen flapping in the breeze on most trips.

On the plus side, we never lost the awning - I've seen that happen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I’m the same ,I drove coaches and buses including tag axles with the huge arm shaped mirrors , no problems . Already damaged 2 mirrors on current MH in 2 years. It would help if the mirror arms were adjustable .

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We were heading home after spending 2 weeks in St Ives Cornwall, driving down the narrow country lane (after a rather stormy night) passing another vehicle coming the opposite way there was a huge bang as my passenger side mirror smashed into the side of the door.
I pulled in to survey the damage, oh dear mirror a right off, I walked back to pick up the bits, luckilly the mirror glass although smashed was still serviceable so I fixed it back into what was left of the framework secured with a bit of tape and made it back home.

I did notice that a tree bough was protruding through the hedge and the was the remains of several other mirrors scattered about, would those mirror guards have lessened the damage I don`t know but I will fit them to my mirrors now.

The new mirror I fitted cost £150 and is spot on except it doesn`t have the internal cab radio aerial so now trying to sort that.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Having seen the price and hassle of replacing wing mirrors on our Peugeot Boxer I fitted mirror guards and also stuck a square of reflective tape on them as well.
I considered that at first but came to the conclusion that they'd effective at but my nocturnal motorhoming was so limited that the funster sticker seemed more useful (more daylight visibility and a smiley face :) !)

Wyn

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've added a funster sticker to my offside mirror (need to get another for nearside before crossing the chanel) the bright colouring makes them more visible to oncoming drivers.(y)

Wyn
I considered that at first but came to the conclusion that they'd effective at but my nocturnal motorhoming was so limited that the funster sticker seemed more useful (more daylight visibility and a smiley face :) !)

Wyn

It doesn't seem to stop white van/itinerant/skip driver man though. Some just don't care. With bus mirrors on the MH I worry about skip driver man with great big stainless steel armoured guards on his mirrors. As if he is going to stop in the event of a clash........ A class mirrors cost a fortune to replace and is my one big worry with driving

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Width can be deceiving on a coach built with cab narrower than body, mirrors are quite wide.
The builders trucks are a pain with extremely wide mirrors, a few years back one took my rh mirror on my first RV.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have these on Ebay and can offer a 10% discount to Funsters

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
AdamH

AdamH

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2017
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Mooveo P6
Exp
Since 2017
I have mirror protectors already fitted and they did the job nicely! (Broken clip on blind spot mirror)
I think the 4x4s mirror came off a lot worse :whistle: she had her window open so got sprayed with the broken glass!
It was on a B road & I was doing under 15mph (30 limit) maybe I should invest in a dash cam?
CE9D08C6-1125-4E9F-B91A-8F07F5CF5C60.jpeg

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

Wyn
Just re-read that and realised it has couple of a words missing. It should read, "...came to the conclusion that they'd be effective at night but...."

Wyn

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

Wyn

Here's a thought @Jim Could we get the MHFun stickers available which fit onto wing mirrors, obviously facing on coming traffic, to forestall the humorists, which are highly visible, maybe reflective, and somehow indicate width right to the edge of the mirror ?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I saw a card of 8-10 of those Smileys, luminous, about 25-35mm in diameter, at the Poole Market a couple of weeks ago.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think the 4x4s mirror came off a lot worse :whistle: she had her window open so got sprayed with the broken glass!
It was on a B road & I was doing under 15mph (30 limit) maybe I should invest in a dash cam?View attachment 210537

I had a smashed mirror incident and the glass would have been like shrapnel if the driver's window had been open. Unlike
@Dilbert I will keep the window shut and slow right down.

Yes, a dashcam is a useful idea for recording the idiots, just in case. There's money to be made if you record a crazy incident. £250 for a good clip. :)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Here's a thought @Jim Could we get the MHFun stickers available which fit onto wing mirrors, obviously facing on coming traffic, to forestall the humorists, which are highly visible, maybe reflective, and somehow indicate width right to the edge of the mirror ?
The one we have on our mirror is a forward facing one with a sticky backing as opposed to the window stickers, so he does do them. (y) I just need to get another one out of him for the other mirror. :pray2:

Wyn

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Only had one clash - on a narrow country lane in Kent. I could see the oncoming van veering from the side of the road and I pulled in as tight as I could to the hedge but there was an upcoming telegraph pole in it.

We clipped mirrors and we were lucky; ours survived with a bit of his paint left behind. We were particularly lucky as were on the way to the ferry, so it would have been the worst time to happen, and getting a N+B 'A' Class mirror is probably not easy att he best of times.

Geoff

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Strange, I`ve had R-V`s, LHD, and now a RHD Rapido. In all the time (since the 90`s) I never had a wing mirror "clash" until just recent on a "b" road near Banbury. Young man in a Transit, "Clipped" the mirror, and it flipped in. I stopped and was resetting it when he turned up. He was very polite, asked if we where OK? and apologised!. I told him I had the Mirror guards on and that they had saved the Mirror, and more important the Turn Repeater.

I have the Genuine ORIGINAL mirror guards, they came with the Vehicle. But I reckon they work!.

"lost" a couple of Truck mirrors though, Once to an oversize load, and the other to an 8 wheel Tipper.
8 wheel tipper does not count. Everyone looses to an 8 wheel tipper driver, they are a law unto themselves. Haha

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I lost my drivers side mirror to another Motorhome on narrow lanes near Cromer... He was so busy waving as he approached us, he drifted towards us and bang...

I stopped 50 yards down the road and he didn’t...

Thank goodness for gaffer tape..

So if you ever see me driving our Motorhome I will not return your wave...(y)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Best I can do is fit reflective tape on mine as mirror guards are not available for my Iveco.

Dave

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I have mirror guards,problem is after minor collision I had to replace mirror guard and mirror.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
On the last few miles into Shell Island a couple of years ago, matey in his PVC smacked our close mirror, (which fortunately moved in and didn't smash) with his extended mirror. :mad:
Rita who sits on the right, was convinced she heard the smash of glass, so it must have been matey's. (y) I had it on the dash cam footage. He was clearly over the line, and with a stone dyke wall on my left, I had nowhere to go. :(

Since then, I have taken steps to highlight the mirror with markings, and driving with the headlights on, as well as asserting my position in the road more, which all make a huge difference to the reactions of oncoming drivers, ie, they seem to see to be more aware of my presence now. ;)

Amazon product ASIN B01FLSVXUQ
The most recent photo I have, highlighting the reflective tape markings, (seen elsewhere on FUN).

P1080910.JPG

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back