Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
During the early to midway part of our Moroccan tour, the windscreen fell out, the primary cause of this happening may well be debated for some time to come, I am of the firm belief that the problem started before we even got to the land of sand and sun,
One of the most daunting parts of our trip was to discover we had to reverse onto the pitch black hole know as the ferry to Morocco, now a 36 ft RV with 4 foot extension via scooter rack is just not going to do it, the ramp at about 30 degrees was going to catch on the bike rack before my rear wheels left the dock, so the load masters idea was to attack the ramp at 45Degrees and apply full right lock as soon a possible, now these guys have loaded ships before, so I followed instructions to the letter and hey!!!!! It worked; up we went without a scrape or scratch to be heard. Unloading at the Moroccan port was easier as I was pointing out of the abyss this time but a 45 degree dismount was still reqd according to the ships parking attendants
And yes it appeared to work again, no horrendous noises at all,
However i believe it was the twisting of the chassis going up and down the ramp at these angles that started this sorry saga
It was a few days later after an fantastic night wild camping in the |Cedar Forest that I awoke to what looked like daylight streaming through a gap that had appeared between the windscreen glass and rubber, Whooooooooooooa it was a gap””” 4” to be precise, my screen and the RV were going separate ways, making emernancy repairs with gaffer tape (God bless the man that invented that stuff) we moved on to our next venue, Ray organised a local screen fitter to come out to sort us out, or so we thought ,and I use the term screen fitter loosely very loosely, being in the motor trade I did know what was reqd to re fit the screen but thought over here they may do things a little different and was willing to let the local expert have a go, BUT before he did I wanted to know what tools he had and what method of attack he was going to employ.
Well it turns out they do indeed do things differently in Morocco, he had no tools at all but that wasn’t going to stop him, he said he could do it with the help of a friend,
He may well be using knife’s forks and spoons but if it got the screen back in who cares, next on the agenda was the all important price, important to me at any rate, (Im in the trade remember) After much deliberation and teeth sucking he announced a fixed price was not possible as he had never fitted a RV screen before, ok that’s not unreasonable, I could find twenty screen fitter’s here at home who had never fitted one either, and because he didn’t know how long it would take he couldn’t apply the local union rate for the job, after a short conversation via a translator, he was informed that hell would freeze over before I would let anyone start work for me until a contract in blood stating just how much Dollar I would be paying out was in place he came up with a figure in Moroccan Dirhams, a quick calculation worked out at around £160 that may not seem an awful lot, but you have to remember I know what it should cost and having earlier been told the average wage for Moroccans, another quick calculation worked out he was estimating the job at just under 6 months work!!
So, yup you guessed it, he didn’t get the job, I cant repeat, not even on this forum what Ray thought of his extortion racket %7£4+*%4£&8***^5$3 but it went something like that
Nothing else for it dIY repair was called for and seeing as Lyndon Volunteered to give me a hand, well he was told he had volunteered. We set about it in 50 degree midday temperatures me inside and Lyndon outside back to the sun with a bottle of beer each saw our first break about 3mins into the job sweating like the preverbal. Round two saw the passenger side re fitted in just over half an hour, and set us up for what we then believed was going to be a successful outcome, counting eggs and chickens sprung to mind but was dismissed as we had already been lulled into a sense of false security
We huffed and puffed for what seemed like an eternity and managed to get the drivers side all but fitted apart from the last 6 inch or so, we only had knives forks and spoons aourselves so were slightly at a disadvantage, but it wouldn’t have it.no choice now but to gaffer tape every thing firmly into place as it was now 90% better than when we started,
Has anyone tried using Gaffer tape in 50 degC it don’t stick!!!!! It was like using a bandage with honey spread on, to cut a long stort short and I bet a few of you are now wishing I had a lot sooner than now, when the sun went down it worked and held it all in place.
Trouble is next morning the sun came out again and melted it, fifty yards down the road and all was flapping and shaking again, once out of the dessert regions the tape started to act as we in the cold uk know it should, and held for the next few thousand miles with just the odd re application for piece of mind and to calm Pammy’s nerves which were just a bit Janggled at this point and we mage it back up through Spin, too the Fun Fishing meet and home without too much grief
Anyhoo the whole point of this post is to let you all know how we got on with finding a replacement (did I mention it also cracked didn’t I), it was something I was not looking forward too Finding a supplier a fitter dealing with the insurance company and getting the replacment in one piece etc etc, I need not have worried
One call to Travel World and they sorted out the lot, they flew in a screen from the US and organised a fitter to come to me, and they used Autoglass Coach-Bus and Train, Between them they spoke to insurance and got the ok, so start to finish was 2 weeks exactlty 2.5 Hrs later ---------------Sorted. Credit where it's due Travel World worked for me
Now to sort out the awning with me mate Linda (discount) from Stateside Tuning
Geo

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well done mate glad it got fixed in the end and all credit to Travelworld it makes a change to hear something good about a dealer occasionally.

Now theres just the small matter of reimbursment of my gaffer tape:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Glad you sorted it so easy Geo.

I thought you were in for a hard slog.

Nice one Gungerdin :winky:

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
glad your sorted mate::bigsmile:

here's the maneuver in question:winky:

Attachments

• morocco 2008 147.jpg
    morocco 2008 147.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 83
  • morocco 2008 149.jpg
    morocco 2008 149.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well done mate glad it got fixed in the end and all credit to Travelworld it makes a change to hear something good about a dealer occasionally.

Now theres just the small matter of reimbursment of my gaffer tape:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Rory
Reimbursment is not reqd mate, Ive rolled it all back on a tube for you:thumb:
Geo
Mark
why dose there look 5 times as much room in the pics than there actualy was:Eeek:
Geo

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
geo thats simple:Doh:

your sober now!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: