Windscreen Covers ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I am a bit dismayed at the price of these. I don't want to pay the prices they are asking ::bigsmile:

So, being a Yorkshireman I'm looking at alternatives. Specifically making my own :cooler:

Get some aliminium insulation stuff from Wickes and a bit of work with scissors and gaffer tape and Bob's yer auntie ::bigsmile:

Gotta keep the sun out when we go to France next week

Surely somebody has done this before ?

Any tips ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

This Tyke bought two survival blankets from the £ Shop. Glued them either side of a sheet of 'bubble' wrap with spray contact adhesive, cut them to shape and tidied up the edges with Gaffer tape.
I'll raise you being a tight Yorkshireman. I had a Scottish mother so I had all the generosity in me squeezed out at birth.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I'm with you. Wickes thermal insulation foil roll (8 metres) should do a few sets. Not very durable, but at £11.99 a roll !!
I have a custom made cover but it is showing it's age and may need replaced keep the post going and let us know how you get on ;)

PS I am the ultimate, an Aberdonian !!

PPS If I was going to France etc I would be making something for the other windows not just the cab.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Not made shaped windscreen covers but I have made rectangular winter covers for a static van and a 5'er with some aluminium bubble wrap insulation from screwfix. I needed a lot so bought a large roll, about £90 I think, tidied the edges up with silver gaffer tape but this does degrade over time. I have recently found some suckers with a screw thread fixing on one end that are good for fixing the panels to glass.

This stuff Broken Link Removed

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I haven't seen the Wickes roll but the addition of the Survival Blankets (which are really only mirrored plastic sheets) seems to have really toughened up our home made jobbie.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hey Yorick, you can't take it with you, so spend a few bob:wink:

Home made ones look crap, let in the cold or heat and (assuming your fitting exteriorly) rarely fit snug. If they're interior, you have to corner the market in suckers and ya need a few pints to summon up the spit each day!

I'm with you on the cost. Mine cost 160 odd quid, but are well worth it. Don't forget that they are not a lost investment. They go like hot cakes on ebay when sold-on and you should recover two thirds of the initial outlay.

Sorry I don't have any tips:sleep:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
With my tongue firmly in my cheek and without a hint of malice, There speaks Essexman. He never had to live in a hole in the road.:shake:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We bought our "Silverscreens" 2nd hand off eBay for £60, usual new price between £140 to £160

A perfect fit, great insulation, very durable and they roll up into the supplied carry bag.
The whole front section folds up or down on velcro fasteners, so takes just seconds to open up in the morning to let the lights and
the view in and a couple of seconds to put back in position in the evening.

Same as these...(y)(y)

img8394148.JPG

Broken Link Removed

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'd like one for my van but can't find one for an a class mobilvetta anywhere :(

I'd thought about making one myself too but wouldn't know where to start

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Usually there are a few for sale in the private ads in the back of MMM. You could buy a copy or check it out in Tesco etc, people who stand there reading mags really p*ss me off , buy it you tight get!!!(not you of course)!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have the cheaper internal Milenco screens http://www.milenco.com/products/universal-thermal-blinds/universal-internal-thermal-blind/ that attach with suckers & just pull down a bit when in the motorhome so can see out then really easy to just push back on with suction pads as already in position(y) Do really make a difference to keeping the sun/heat out or the internal warmth in or just to add privacy where you want it. Lightweight & easy to roll or fold & store too - we bought ours from here http://www.vanplusdirect.co.uk/epages/es133288.sf/en_GB/? only £47.50 delivered too!
Milenco also do cheap external screen covers but not tried them. Some of their products are excellent but not all are great quality.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a set for pre face lift Ducato ( 2000 to 2006 ).. £40 if anyone interested ?

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Jaws...can't seem to find how to PM you. Looking for a set of externals for a 2006 Boxer. Also in Narrfik

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have PM'd you Steve .. You can bounce of that mate..

To PM someone click on their name under their avatar and select 'start conversation from the pop up box (y)

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I am a bit dismayed at the price of these. I don't want to pay the prices they are asking ::bigsmile:

So, being a Yorkshireman I'm looking at alternatives. Specifically making my own :cooler:

Get some aliminium insulation stuff from Wickes and a bit of work with scissors and gaffer tape and Bob's yer auntie ::bigsmile:

Any tips ?

Made a Few individual covers sold well at first
but sales in UK are slow.
Been a big hit in America Picture below.

This is modelled by Tootles
an improvement on himself you will agree.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

If you have to ask you wouldnt understand

£thousands on a motorhome and then
Spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar springs to mind

They look tatty,cheap, home made, they invariably perform to the same poor standard as there appearance
They take 3 times the time to make as they do to earn, they are not cost affective pro rata,
You may have gathered by now i just not a fan of Home made screen covers,
with one proviso if they look factory made well done!!!
I cant stand brush painted Motor homes.
I detest DIY interior "Upgrades" Cupboards painted blue or green, pink 1960s tile wallpaper in the shower rooms and hand painted black and white retro jobbies make me feel ill
All with the same proviso make it look original and i will give credit where its due
and you have ask WHY!!!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

Any tips ?
I'm a Yorkshire woman but was happy to spend £120 at a show on TaylorMade screens, - made in, yes, Yorkshire...

Support your county of birth - even though you live down south like me (and not far from me too!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back