Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Hi,
Has anyone got any good ideas/ways of stopping the condensation forming on the windscreen overnight with the reimo blinds closed.
Its literally saturating behind the dashboard and i was worried about electrics etc thanks.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I'm sorry I didn't post in right section, neither wonder my search wasn't coming up with any results. Could someone move this to general for me, where's my glasses?:cry:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Do you have a thermal screen? This will stop condensation and keep the van warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Thanks for the reply guys. I will buy a external cover and that is great idea I've seen those karchers I'll buy one of those too, anything to solve this problem!

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
If you have an external thermal screen you won't need a Karcher! Also make sure you some ventilation in the van. We always leave at least one of our skylights vents slightly open at night. The thermal screen is also useful for keeping the van cool in the summer.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Cheapest place to buy the external windscreen covers with drop down piece in middle, anybody know ?

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I don't get condensation on my windscreen but as a short term measure could you not put some absorbent cloths/sponges down at the bottom to soak up the water?

And, isn't condensation caused by sidden changes in temperatures? When are you pulling your blinds? Can you pull them when it's the same temperature on the windscreen as it is outside? Are you drawing them when the temperature in your van is hot and you're trapping the hot air against the windscreen - hence when the temperature drops outside the condensation is much worse?

I often think that living in a van requires us to be scientists. Maybe do a bit of research into condensation?

Good luck.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Ours is a Polar screen via Van Comfort. We had it on our last van and it doesn't quite fit on our new van. Called Van Comfort and have arranged with Polar to go down tomorrow and they will alter the screen to fit the new van. This is a great service as thermal screens are not cheap especially for A class vans.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look in the classified ads section on here as sometimes screens are for sale for a much reduced price, also have a look too at Taylor Made ones which IMV are just as good (if not a bit better) than Silver Screen's offerings and usually cheaper, also try Ebay.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I don't get condensation on my windscreen but as a short term measure could you not put some absorbent cloths/sponges down at the bottom to soak up the water?

And, isn't condensation caused by sidden changes in temperatures? When are you pulling your blinds? Can you pull them when it's the same temperature on the windscreen as it is outside? Are you drawing them when the temperature in your van is hot and you're trapping the hot air against the windscreen - hence when the temperature drops outside the condensation is much worse?

I often think that living in a van requires us to be scientists. Maybe do a bit of research into condensation?

Good luck.
We normally close them late, bed time, your right, there may be hot air trapped when we pull them.
This happens all year round too.
Never tried leaving ceiling vent open as I thought you vents were always open nowadays, it sounds like they are, outside noises are as loud as hell at night and Everytime we use our Motorhome it's freezing as we are a bad weather jinx.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we get masses of condensation in winter, but generally only when close to freezing (outside of course) once temperature gets anywhere near double figures we get none at all

we do have a large dog who sleeps in the front end, I do think she contributes a lot of the condensation :) in winter or when cold it is hard to open the roof vents, but it really does make a difference

but there is no cure, I am not a fan of external screens, another level of hassle I don't need on holiday, cost to buy, more storage issues, putting out then in again, sometimes they must be wet, remove options for moving off from wild / aire camping where you may feel a need

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Don't get any condensation this time of year, but during the winter months place one of these, of the maximum length you can, on top of the dash. It helps greatly, only leaving it a bit hazy in the top corners. But then ours is a very large A class screen.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We full time and wouldn't be without silver screens, when away for a night we don't bother and need to put towels on the dash at the bottom of the windscreen because I too worry about the electrics.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the reply guys. I will buy a external cover and that is great idea I've seen those karchers I'll buy one of those too, anything to solve this problem!
We have a karcher which moves between bungalow and motorhome but yesterday we bought the vileda windo vac from home bargains for £14.99 it has a swivel head unlike the archer which is a fixed head.
It seems every bit as good so far.
IMG_0094.JPG

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I've
We have a karcher which moves between bungalow and motorhome but yesterday we bought the vileda windo vac from home bargains for £14.99 it has a swivel head unlike the archer which is a fixed head.
It seems every bit as good so far.
View attachment 179033
Oh no, is just ordered a Karcher, never mind was only £30 (factory repaired)!

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have a Karcher, brilliant kit, use it to clean down the bathroom shower glass and tiles, clear the water off the MH when washed (simples is that:xThumb:). Never thought of taking it away to remove screen damp though. Ha, will do in futurex:-).

Flook:xcool:

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
We have a Ford Transit Hymer and have two possible solutions the first is to utilise the Ford blanking plate for the air inlet under the bonnet hence no cold air enter the van. Secondly place a blanket over the dashboard so to stop warm air reaching the bottom of the blind on the window.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I have a Karcher, brilliant kit, use it to clean down the bathroom shower glass and tiles, clear the water off the MH when washed (simples is that:xThumb:). Never thought of taking it away to remove screen damp though. Ha, will do in futurex:-).

Flook:xcool:
Also have a Karcher

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You won’t go far wrong with a Silver Screen IMHO we’ve had one for years and although expensive you get what you pay for.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
You won’t go far wrong with a Silver Screen IMHO we’ve had one for years and although expensive you get what you pay for.
and not so bulky as Taylor made, Silver screens get my vote, and i have had them both.:xThumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We prefer Taylor Made ones to Silver Screens and we've had both too! :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back